Quantcast

***Sunderp GMT***

Toshi

butthole powerwashing evangelist
Oct 23, 2001
Build some new wheels + DH tires, and save those for winter riding.
That’s a really good idea. Air down those 2.8”s on the 40 mm i.d. rims for the shoulder season rides and have robust 29” hoops with 2.4” DHF EXO/DHR II DD for rox. (All my flats out here have been of the rear tire so not worried about front casing.)

I will pull the trigger on this after the next rear flat, which could be in a day or in a season.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
That’s a really good idea. Air down those 2.8”s on the 40 mm i.d. rims for the shoulder season rides and have robust 29” hoops with 2.4” DHF EXO/DHR II DD for rox. (All my flats out here have been of the rear tire so not worried about front casing.)

I will pull the trigger on this after the next rear flat, which could be in a day or in a season.
have you considered something like cushcore? i know a few guys on it that really like it. i'm considering it myself.

Toshi

Oct 23, 2001
have you considered something like cushcore? i know a few guys on it that really like it. i'm considering it myself.
Haven’t considered it. I did chew up a rim a year or two ago but almost all of my flats are not of the pinching variety but rather of ripping sidewalls on rocks.

I didn't realize that Pivot is a 29"er ... @stoney ... add that point to the list !!
It’s a 27.5” plus size. Same outer diameter for 27.5”+ and 29”, I believe—think Pivot Switchblade.

And also like that Switchblade it’s Super Boost Plus spacing.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Haven’t considered it. I did chew up a rim a year or two ago but almost all of my flats are not of the pinching variety but rather of ripping sidewalls on rocks.

It’s a 27.5” plus size. Same outer diameter for 27.5”+ and 29”, I believe—think Pivot Switchblade.

And also like that Switchblade it’s Super Boost Plus spacing.
gotcha. then just get something with a proper casing.

Toshi

Oct 23, 2001
Especially given @Toshi is all torso. 29" wheels makes sense for tall folk, not little (and stumpy legged) people.
The Pivot in medium has a 445 mm reach and no wheel/toe overlap issues even with the big meats.

After being on it for a bit I’d go for even a bit longer than 445…

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons

I have a 29 Maxxis Aggressor, 2.5 DD for sale, brand new for $50.
It will cure what ails you.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Gravel race today, 40 miles on the military base using their gravel training area roads. Feel like I crushed it relatively. Maybe 50-60 riders? Rode my fat-bike. It's fun going over every bad bump and rock and trying to get everyone to follow you. At one point, the "gravel" was more like baby-head river-rock size for a few miles, I just coasted through that stuff. Saw a few flat tires from that section. Any section on pavement though or where I can't draft behind someone is murder. As long as I can draft I can keep up fine. Towards the end it goes into double track and then a bumpy descent down to a boardwalk, preceded by a kind of table-top, then stairs at the end of the boardwalk. Then a crappy high resistance climb up, then some more gravel and then it gets bumpy again for a final descend down a ski area access road, then breaks out pavement for half a mile or so. Had 2 others I was drafting with until I dropped them when the more tech stuff started, but was only able to barely keep my lead at the end due to all the crazy wind resistance pedaling on the pavement. Somewhere around 15th I think though, which I am well happy with coming back from surgery and riding a freaking fat-bike when everyone else is on 1" tires. Did it for Kidwoo. View attachment 134756
lol, I got 11th...11th, on a freaking fat-bike. That's funny as hell. Guys on skinny roadie "gravel" bikes and I roll around 6 minutes off the pace. May have broken some "full roadie" hearts on Sunday...
GreenLakeGravelGrinder.jpg

Toshi

Oct 23, 2001
I have a 29 Maxxis Aggressor, 2.5 DD for sale, brand new for $50.
It will cure what ails you.
Perhaps it would if I already had 29” hoops, but I don’t at this point. 27.5” x 40 mm id rims at the moment.