Quantcast

Sunline 29"ers...YEA!!

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
thought some out there might like to see these:

I am even more happy than I thought I would be as they are actually wider than 29".
Same great shape and finish as the 28" V1's, just ~ 29.5 wide,

Thanks Jason!!!! I owe you a beer.

TGR

Monkey
Jan 9, 2006
sweetness, me needs to get ahold one of thse bars + their boxxer integrated stem... they are so nice

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
To each thier own... You can always shorten them if you want....not so easy to make them wider if that is what you desire.

The way I see it....no down side

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
I do have weights and pics on scales of both 28" and 29+" ers.....I need to size the photos and upload them etc.
I need to sleep now though...I will get them up in the A.M.

I want to say the 28 ers were ~ 275g and the big'uns were ~ 300g, but I dont remember exactly.

tomorrow...

Huck Banzai

Turbo Monkey
May 8, 2005
Transitory
One of these days we're all going to have trouble fitting through trees....

You fit THROUGH trees? I need to learn that - can you post a tutorial?

:imstupid:

How about those FSA Gravity 800mm - I understand thats a limited run (and done) but that they may do it again. 31.5"!!

jasons

Chimp
Feb 28, 2005
Denver CO
Sunline bars in 29.5" will be in stock on 10/16 and as Jason said, they are the same price as last years V1 bars. I stopped at 29.5" because you have to thicken the walls as you go wider to compensate for the extra leverage. If you go crazy wide you have to thicken the walls more. Most people won't keep them that wide. So, you end up cutting off the bars but have a bar that is heavier than it needs to be for it's width. I thought that 29.5" was a good compromise for a wider bar without a big weight penalty. You still cut it down to 28" without it being much heavier than the original 28" wide bars.

Jensen

Monkey
Apr 30, 2007
UC/SLO,ca
so how does the OP like these? i can get the 28" v1's for cheap, or wait till tomorrow and get the wider's? they worth the extra money?

seth505

Monkey
Jun 9, 2006
CA
I don't need bars that wide personally but on a sidenote yes Jason is the man. I think 29.5" makes a lot of sense with the crop of people that want wider bars lately, but leave the freakishly wide for other companies to deal with.

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
Great.....if you need to club a baby seal. Nice looking bars, but I don't buy into the super wide bar thing

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
so how does the OP like these? i can get the 28" v1's for cheap, or wait till tomorrow and get the wider's? they worth the extra money?

To be honest, I have not ridden them (google seattle weather:disgust1:..and buisy all weekend with an embedded systems programming project this past weekend) but they feel good in my hands.

I have (at least on a DH bike) ridden for the past several years with half my palms hanging off my bars. After a long day at whistler, I end up with bruises on my palms (and grey marks on my gloves from bar ends) from putting my hands in a more comfortable (wider) position. The 28" V1s have been great this past season (strong, light, LOW, plenty of 'flat' to position levers inboard, and good bend) and the big'uns feel all the better!

I dont think they are for everyone nor every bike set up (the 28" ers will go on the 'little bike'), but for a big high speed bike and a larger rider (I am 6' 190# and wide shoulders) they feel goooood. You can always shorten bars, but it is very difficult to stretch them.

As for getting through trees....weave...left side, then right side, then go.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
Sunline bars in 29.5" will be in stock on 10/16 and as Jason said, they are the same price as last years V1 bars. I stopped at 29.5" because you have to thicken the walls as you go wider to compensate for the extra leverage. If you go crazy wide you have to thicken the walls more. Most people won't keep them that wide. So, you end up cutting off the bars but have a bar that is heavier than it needs to be for it's width. I thought that 29.5" was a good compromise for a wider bar without a big weight penalty. You still cut it down to 28" without it being much heavier than the original 28" wide bars.
But did you fatigue test them to failure mounted upside down so that even the morons are safe from themselves? :busted:

:rofl:

Oh..and yeah Garrit's bike looked "odd" with them on it. Kip had to borrow it to do his race run and he's a tall dude. He seemed pretty happy...but then again I forgot to ask him how he made out in the S turns after the wallride.

jasons

Chimp
Feb 28, 2005
Denver CO
We only test the 2 inch rise ones upside down. I figure if you are going to turn the bars upside down, you might as well go all the way:lighten:

By the way, they are in stock now.

Yev

Chimp
Dec 17, 2005
i can't seem to find them on the sunline website...where are they in stock or how can you order?

yev

jasons

Chimp
Feb 28, 2005
Denver CO
Just order the V1 bar in the 19mm rise. The discription has not been updated yet to the 29.5" spec. We sold out of the 28" wide ones before we got these, so you will get he wider ones in the 19mm rise. The inventory on the site doesn't update immediately. You can also call in and ask for Debbie if you want to do it that way. The site does work much better though. She gets slammed with calls and has a hard time getting all of the lines.

norcalbiker

Chimp
Jul 15, 2007
I know the threads a few weeks old, but i Just ordered my 29ers today. Il report on them after I get a few rides on them. They will be going with the boxxer direct mount stem. Definately the only 29er I would ever ride.

4130biker

PM me about Tantrum Cycles!
May 24, 2007
I have had this bar and stem on my 888 for one season and I'm stoked on it. The bars feel great, and the stem shortened up my bike just enough. Do I have to think about changing the bars out anytime soon because they're so light?

frznnomad

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
a-town biatches
okay it is deffinatly a great thing that we have 29.5" bars for those that deffinatly need them or the ones that like the feel of a wider bar. the only problem is that these are the only bars out there right now that i like and well they are way to wide. is it possible ( is there enough flat space) to cut them down to the 710mm which is perfect for me. thanks for the help and sorry to derrail the glory of this thread i was just curious.

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
The inner section (bend) of the 29" bars is the exact same as the 28" ones. It is just the flat grip area that is longer. There is plenty of room to move brakes and shifter inboard even @ 27" or or so.