Quantcast

sunline thick grips

ronan

Monkey
Dec 7, 2007
Toulouse, France
i'm looking at new grips for my hands, i really like the feel of the ruffian grip but my hands are too big for them, and i feel I need something with a bit more padding

how 'thick' are the thick versions of the sunlines, are they noticeably thicker then the ruffians? thanks

ROTFLMAO

Monkey
Nov 17, 2007
Maumee, Ohio
I too like thick grips. I haven't tried the sunline but they have gotten good reviews. I have used Oury lockons and ODI Rogue lockons recently and I prefer the Rogue. The Oury was a little softer but I prefer the grip pattern of the Rogue.

The sunline thicks will be very noticeably bigger than the ruffians.

Carnaza

Monkey
Aug 10, 2006
Santiago, Chile
i used to use the ruffians MX and then i tried the thin and thick version of the sunlines...

IMO the thin versio is too thin and the thick too thick... finally i tried the waffle version... and i´m living them.... are the perfect size for my taste.... it´s the thin version with a waffle pattern in one half of the grip

rico

Chimp
Nov 2, 2007
England
I bought a pair of thick Sunlines then went back to Ruffians.

Three problems with the Sunlines imo...

1) The locking mechanism is rubbish compared to ODIs. I find the end cap comes off if you tighten it up tight. Just doesn't feel that solid a connection to the bar

2) The thick grip is too thick and too soft. Can flex the grip just by squeezing

3) Grip surface can get slippy when wet.

Just my opinion of the product. Some people love them.

Try the ODI Rogue or Intense if you want a thicker grip.

iafr8e

Chimp
Aug 3, 2004
Providence, RI
I've been running the Sunline thick grips this season (off ruffians from last year) and love them so far. I have fairly small hands too and don't find them too big.

I did find the end caps a little less secure than I would like but they are holding for now. The clamp on the grip itself seem to be doing a good enough job as well.

I haven't had any problmes running them while raining or muddy. They grip great.

I've also found the softness of the grip seem to help with hand fatugue on really rough sections.

Overall I'm really happy with them and highly suggest you give em a try.

jasons

Chimp
Feb 28, 2005
Denver CO
The thick grips are 33mm in diameter. They feel pretty big when you are holding onto them. They have a nice soft compound though. The thin version has a 28mm diameter and are really thin for a good feel on the bars. The halfwaffle grip has a diameter of 31mm for an in between feel with a more aggressive pattern for wet weather riding. The pattern is just an exact copy of our moto grip (different diameter though). The idea of the thick and thin was just to help satisfy more people. I personally like real thin grips, but a lot of people like thick grips, so starting off, we tried to make more people happy. The problem people have with the end caps, is that they make them too tight, and don't line up the set screws with the flat spots that have the little ridge. If you just snug them and put the screws where they are supposed to go, they will not come off.

The thick ones really help with vibration dampening but were just to big. Its true that the thicks are to thick and the thins are too thin but I run the thins and love them. The end caps are wack and don't really serve a clamping purpose. I am going to cut the end plastic off and run a end cap that goes inside the bars.

Slater

Monkey
Oct 10, 2007
the locking mechanism on the Sunlines is great. You may perceive it to be weak (the end cap) but it doesn't slip. Despite what it looks like it may do. It doesn't need that much pressure. If you're denting your bars etc you need to take a chill pill before wrenching on that tiny little 2.5mm set screw.

I rode the thicks and loved them. Except I got horrible tendon pain with them when at a resort.

Switched to thins and they were way better.

Then tried out waffles and absolutely love them. Have 2 more sets in my garage for when this pair wears out.

ronan

Monkey
Dec 7, 2007
Toulouse, France
im gonna try out the thicks

what are the chances of me been able to pick them up from a 661/sunline stand at the world cup? CRC is sold out of the thick black

ultraNoob

Yoshinoya Destroyer
Jan 20, 2007
Hills of Paradise
I wear XL gloves and I run the Thins and half waffles. Hand fatigue has dropped considerably. Tried the Thick ones and they did feel too thick. Have some of the Lizard Skinz North shore and hutchinson bulldogs but I sill prefer the sunline thins and half waffles.