Quantcast

Super D Info?

Summit

Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
here 'n there
Anyone here ever raced a Super D?

Since I'm sworn off DH racing by the fiance and my current bike situation, I'm thinking a Super D might fit the bill perfectly.

There are a few Go-Ride events (DV and Brian Head) around Utah this summer, and I kinda missed racing last summer, so I'm thinking about trying one out.

Does my bike setup sound good for it? Foes FXR w/ a Z1 FR, ~34 lbs. w/ some heavy-duty parts, 6" travel, 3 chainrings. I have no idea what type bikes people use for these in general. Also, how big of a climb/climbs do most courses involve?

Hopefully not a scary enough course that I could justify it to the girl... :D

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
It really depends on the Super D course. Some are fireroads, some are tame mostly-downhill singletracks, some include "real" downhill sections, some are combinations of all of the above. You'll need to know the specific course.

On a lot of courses, a well-ridden HT or FS/XC bike can really dominate...the climbs just can't be made up for on a bigger bike. Theoretically, your bike should be great for Super D, but I know at Big Bear, it'd not stand a chance. They run a big fireroad ride (yes, I'm standing by for the 'what's new' comments from the Big Bear haters) with a HUGE climb and a moderate descent that ends on a sliver of rutted, loose DH run. It's the climb that matters. However, I've done another local course that only included some short flats and steep, sharp inclines...a big bike with momentum wasn't really at a disadvantage here. Then again, neither were the smaller bikes.

It's a crap shoot.

MD

dexterq20

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2003
NorCal
Check out this month's issue of Mountain Bike Action. They did a little mini-column about Super D, and it has some good basic info regarding the event.

Summit

Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
here 'n there
Thanks for the info Mike. I talked to a guy who had done the Brian Head Super D and he seemed to think my setup would be great for it. 3 rings a definite must. Sounds like a blast! Would I need something like the Heim 3-Guide? And what sort of seat height do you usually go for? Something in the middle or just leave it in climb mode and deal w/ a seat stickin up yer ass on the DH? ;)

dex--are you talking the April issue? Couldn't find anything in the May mag, don't have April. Ah well.

And the girl was actually vaguely OK w/ the DH racing (she even came to a race once) until I broke myself in half on a tree skiing last year. Since then, going very very fast in a race through lots of trees and big rocks ain't exactly her favorite thing. I stepped it down a notch for my own sense of self-preservation too :)