Quantcast

Super D Racing questions

Ascentrek

Monkey
Jul 17, 2003
Golden, CO
I've had the bug to try one of these races. If you've raced one of these, what is your experience with it? Fun? I like DH with a little XC mixed in; so I wouldn't mind trying one of these races out. I've got a SC Bullit, but I enjoy pushing it uphill (sadist). What are the courses typically like? How much up hill is there? what is everyone racing bike wise?

Sorry if you saw this already in the Colorado locals section.

Ascentrek

Monkey
Jul 17, 2003
Golden, CO
MikeD said:
Try searching. There's tons of good info on the board already...
I did try and came up short from the answers I asked for. I'm looking for the latest information and experiences. I've seen the threads you posted above, but that didn't answer my question (one post got close).

Please read what I wrote and don't assume that I'm a complete newbie without the tools to search. Besides, Its easier to post what I'm looking for than to go through mindless searches (in which I gave up).

Now, have you raced a Super D? can you enlighten me on the experiences you've encountered? Or are you just here to b!tch at me for posting a similar topic. What a waste.

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Ascentrek said:
I did try and came up short from the answers I asked for. I'm looking for the latest information and experiences. I've seen the threads you posted above, but that didn't answer my question (one post got close).

Please read what I wrote and don't assume that I'm a complete newbie without the tools to search. Besides, Its easier to post what I'm looking for than to go through mindless searches (in which I gave up).

Now, have you raced a Super D? can you enlighten me on the experiences you've encountered? Or are you just here to b!tch at me for posting a similar topic. What a waste.
No, asshole, I posted my experiences with the Super D in the previous threads. Sorry I didn't feel like typing them again. You're welcome.

Those threads answered every single question you posted...from course type, to climbing, to types of bikes people are using. That's why I linked you to them. If you want more information on them, well, ask it in the existing threads and bring them back to the top so we don't spend time re-writing what we already wrote. Certainly there's room for people to add their latest experiences, if any.

And don't worry, I won't waste my time or yours helping you with information ever again.

MD

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
Oooh, a lot of e-yelling over an event that nobody signs up for. :thumb:

I have actually seen race officials walking around venues ASKING people to sign up for Super-D and discounting their entry fees.

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Jeremy R said:
Oooh, a lot of e-yelling over an event that nobody signs up for. :thumb:

I have actually seen race officials walking around venues ASKING people to sign up for Super-D and discounting their entry fees.
Heh, that's funny...and oh-so-true, as the races have generally sucked.

I wasn't yelling about the race, per se, just the fact that someone's bitching at me for taking the time to provide some information... a response like, "Cool, I saw those, but I was wondering specifically [whatever info he still needs]," would have been appropos. Instead, he gets at me personally and still doesn't ask for any particular info.

-Mike

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
MikeD said:
Heh, that's funny...and oh-so-true, as the races have generally sucked.

I wasn't yelling about the race, per se, just the fact that someone's bitching at me for taking the time to provide some information... a response like, "Cool, I saw those, but I was wondering specifically [whatever info he still needs]," would have been appropos. Instead, he gets at me personally and still doesn't ask for any particular info.

-Mike
Oh, don't mind me, I was just pointing out how nobody does them.
I actually think they would be fun, but I have never given it a try yet.
Maybe it is because half of our races in the Southeast are already Super-D, just not by choice. ;)

MTB_Rob_NC

What do I have to do to get you in this car TODAY?
Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
I want to enter 1 this year as well. I rode the Super-D course at SnowShoe on my Heckler (not during the event) and thought it was a blast.

Zutroy

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2004
Ventura,CA
It all depends on the course what is better. A trail type bike is the best all around type bike. Some courses a FS XC is better. The last SuperD here in Cali and FS XC would have been the ticket for that race. I say ride what ya got, have fun.

It is a blast when the course is good, It's cool when the course has enough tech and just the right amount of climbing to make it a straight up shoot out between the DH and XC guys.

Special K

Chimp
Feb 12, 2004
CT by way of Beantown
The Mount Snow course starts near the sport/beg. downhill and is very wide open and fast... there are three significant uphills (two in the middle) and then a tight single track towards the end which is pretty rocky by super d standards. It ends on the short track course, which has the last uphill in it. None of the hills are significantly hard -- I rode everything on my downhill bike because I wanted it for the rocky single track section...
The West Virginia course is awesome. It starts on the sport dh course and then winds around the "mini lake" -- up two fireroads and then ends on the expert dh course. It is very wide open through the entire course. I took my downhill bike and had tremendous speed on the downhill sections. I ended up beating all of the women, especially those who rode their xc bikes.
Tire selection is critical for the super d -- I have never seen so many flats, both in WV and Mt. Snow...
Both courses were between 5-15 min long depending on who rode them...
I will be at Mt Snow riding the super d -- first race back since the femur break

Heath Sherratt

Turbo Monkey
Jun 17, 2004
In a healthy tension
It's really fun. Anarobic short track for DH'ers. Some track slike mammoth have a lot of climbing while others have had none. The super-d course at Durango was really fun too. I like the le-mans style start a litlle better, it's all crazy and funny-more like a race you would make up with your friends to see who can get back for dinner faster. Good stuff, but the big pros are coming out in waves now, it's starting to get more serious. You see, most people will make fun of it until it's generally accepted and the they will miss the beginnings of something fun and unique. I think you should try it and ride a trail bike with fatty tires and a fat smile. Super d is here to stay.

Zutroy

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2004
Ventura,CA
Heath Sherratt said:
They should start putting obstacles and crap in there. Like alligator pits and such:)

Not quit as meaning looking, but you gotta dodge those squirrels up in Big Bear all the time.

Peete

Turbo Monkey
May 5, 2002
just south of the ATL
I did the one at Snowshoe last year on an Uzzi SLX w/ a front derailleur. That seems to be a good set up. Around a 6" travel bike with 3 rings in the front. There were no rock gardens big enough to get to your chainring so a bash guard is optional.
Adding to what Jeremy said, with the exception of Windrock it's like any S.E. DH course without the jumps. I had fun but it would have been cool to have a decent size jump with a go around option. And maybe a big ass wall ride/ berm.

Ascentrek

Monkey
Jul 17, 2003
Golden, CO
MikeD said:
No, asshole, I posted my experiences with the Super D in the previous threads. Sorry I didn't feel like typing them again. You're welcome.
I stand corrected... I saw one of your responses. I am looking for more than just one experience (plus, a lot more people have raced these since)

MikeD said:
... ask it in the existing threads and bring them back to the top so we don't spend time re-writing what we already wrote. Certainly there's room for people to add their latest experiences, if any.
I was looking for new experiences. I like starting NEW threads because more people may respond differently. Which they have.

MikeD said:
And don't worry, I won't waste my time or yours helping you with information ever again.
Its obvious (based on your language) that you need to get out of the office, stop posting and go for a ride. Drink a beer, too. Don't get too worked up.

Now you have another thread to reference others too when this topic comes up again.

Beers on me.

Ascentrek

Monkey
Jul 17, 2003
Golden, CO
Peete said:
I did the one at Snowshoe last year on an Uzzi SLX w/ a front derailleur. That seems to be a good set up. Around a 6" travel bike with 3 rings in the front. There were no rock gardens big enough to get to your chainring so a bash guard is optional.
Adding to what Jeremy said, with the exception of Windrock it's like any S.E. DH course without the jumps. I had fun but it would have been cool to have a decent size jump with a go around option. And maybe a big ass wall ride/ berm.

Sounds like my setup will work just fine. I wish the Super D was more technical with steeper climbs. From what I year, its pretty tame all the way around. I would love a trials section in there too.

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Ascentrek said:
Its obvious (based on your language) that you need to get out of the office, stop posting and go for a ride.
You're probably right, but I'm kind of stuck off the bike for a few more days...going hiking in the desert this weekend, though. Hopefully it'll reduce my e-snippiness. Then I'm DHing or SCUBA diving next weekend, so I should recover at some point.

Didn't mean for my first post to come off as condescending, just wanted to point out some info. But when you've been sitting in front of a computer for too long, you tend to take it too seriously.

MD

Summit

Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
here 'n there
I can't wait to try a Super D. I'm too much of a pooner to do well in the big national techie DH races...but local easier (read: pedally) DH courses I tend to clean up at :D Mostly cuz I ride up everything I DH down, and I think there are a lot of people out there in the same boat--ski lifts and truck shuttles are often too much of a pain in the ass.

lovebunny

can i lick your balls?
Dec 14, 2003
San Diego, California, United States
MikeD said:
You're probably right, but I'm kind of stuck off the bike for a few more days...going hiking in the desert this weekend, though. Hopefully it'll reduce my e-snippiness. Then I'm DHing or SCUBA diving next weekend, so I should recover at some point.

Didn't mean for my first post to come off as condescending, just wanted to point out some info. But when you've been sitting in front of a computer for too long, you tend to take it too seriously.

MD
yeah mike your riding dh. with us :D you should go to the skyline ride. and we all know that your just a condecending old fart anyways :thumb: im kidding btw. but id like to try super d but i have to wait for my little full squish bike to come in. no way in hell im doing it on my big bike. youve seen me ion climbs mike haha