Quantcast

Super D Training

TheInedibleHulk

Turbo Monkey
May 26, 2004
Colorado
This year was pretty much a flop for me, so I'm looking to start some Super D training and racing next year to help out in the DH areas. I might get a coach and try to smooth out my style with some pump track sessions, but for now Super D will most likely be my training tool of choice. Being that my Socom is unstable enough to be a cross country bike anyway, I think I'm going to use it with some lighter parts to make a long travel trailbike. It's got Hadleys and 823 rims for the wheels right now, what's the best set of wheels to make it lighter, but still take some abuse? I'm not the smoothest. I ride flats now, and it doesn't seem to be a smart choice for anything really, would clips help me that much if I pedal squares anyway?

ballr

Monkey
Apr 7, 2002
colorado
Actually, I have developed some proprietary plans/blueprints for a new concept in gravity based cycling - it's called the super-d pumptrack. Currently, I'm in the process of cyber-developing the e-manual and will keep you updated as it comes online. I think this is exactly what you (and millions more just like you) could use to push you over that edge and really jumpstart your downhill career.

BTW, the e-manual is titled: "Super-d Pump Track Revulsion in Yer Face for the New Millenium." Look to download it exclusively at Littermang.com in a few hours.

TheInedibleHulk

Turbo Monkey
May 26, 2004
Colorado
Im really glad this valuble internet resource is here so all the expert riders on here can give me valuble and informed advice. I think the pump track thing is really going to take my riding to the next level, I am also going to be doing lots of 180 parking lot turns, determining the proper lean angle by rolling a wheel in a cirlce by itself. Next year I think I will be getting a santa cruz nomad to use as my primary dh rig, maybe with a fox talas or manitou minute fork to save weight over the bulky, overkill dh forks. Moreover though, I think the biggest difference is going to come because of my newfound dedication to proper moto/bmx inspired casual clothing, including dickies shorts, tall socks, and clean white skate shoes. Combined with an impossible to please taste in bike tracks and a snarky, distanced attitude, I think these changes will make my 08 season the most successful yet.

bent^biker

Turbo Monkey
Feb 22, 2006
pdx
you work at the fix? if so, why are you on here, just go talk to lee, he's the man.

btw: I am officially jealous of you

sunny

Grammar Civil Patrol
Jul 2, 2004
Sandy Eggo, CA
Im really glad this valuble internet resource is here so all the expert riders on here can give me valuble and informed advice. I think the pump track thing is really going to take my riding to the next level, I am also going to be doing lots of 180 parking lot turns, determining the proper lean angle by rolling a wheel in a cirlce by itself. Next year I think I will be getting a santa cruz nomad to use as my primary dh rig, maybe with a fox talas or manitou minute fork to save weight over the bulky, overkill dh forks. Moreover though, I think the biggest difference is going to come because of my newfound dedication to proper moto/bmx inspired casual clothing, including dickies shorts, tall socks, and clean white skate shoes. Combined with an impossible to please taste in bike tracks and a snarky, distanced attitude, I think these changes will make my 08 season the most successful yet.
HAHAHAHA.

I like you.

Switch to clips. Super D is won in the climbs.

Although the practice time for Super D is usually pretty limited, know the course, know where you'll need to climb, and where you can pass. Sometimes there are fireroads that take you to singletrack - be ready to charge on that fireroad, because you won't be able to pass as easily on the singletrack.

Sometimes it's a Le Mans start. Be able to sprint 150 yds in your bike shoes at 9k feet elevation. Make sure you're at the start early and watching the timer guy, so you can place your bike in the best position once he says you may do so, and have your bike in the right gear. When the gun goes off, be the first one to the bikes.

823s are good rims. Get some lighter tires if you're concerned with weight.

Know who your competition is. I was beat by a girl by 20 sec because I didn't think she was in my age category and failed to chase her down... although I was so wiped out by the end of that race, I don't know if I could have.

Use a hydration pack. Don't use a FF helmet; you want to breathe. Knee and elbow pads will give you confidence in any rough sections. Your lighter bike won't slice through that stuff like your DH bike, and when you're all charged up with adrenaline, you sometimes forget this.

Treat Super D like aggressive XC and you'll do great. Good luck!

-sunny

TheInedibleHulk

Turbo Monkey
May 26, 2004
Colorado
HAHAHAHA.

Know who your competition is. I was beat by a girl by 20 sec because I didn't think she was in my age category and failed to chase her down... although I was so wiped out by the end of that race, I don't know if I could have.

-sunny

Don't worry, I've been beaten by plenty of girls already. Just not in the way I've wanted them to beat me. I've come to expect getting chicked on just about any course now.

sunny

Grammar Civil Patrol
Jul 2, 2004
Sandy Eggo, CA
Um... you know I'm a girl, right? Don't get me wrong, I love the term "getting chicked." ;)

Edit: Wait. You want girls to beat you? Do you get out much?

SDH

I'm normal
Oct 2, 2001
Northern Va.
4 steps to get better in super D

1) Road ride, you will increase your cardio, lower your resting heart rate and be able to push bigger gears=faster pace. Road ride at least twice a week and then fill in the rest of your week with XC.
2) Lose fat and gain musle. You will need to be as light as possible but as strong as possible for the rough sections.
3) Train sprints and gate snaps. BMX will help you here. You need to be able to get out early and maintain the pace.
4)Dh and Dj once week to maintain your technical skills.

As far as bike set up:
It depends your super D's I would recommend, not knowing the type of terrain, use a trail bike (4-5"). Plenty of choices here. Try to get as light as possible without being spindlerly. Maybe like a heckler or a MKIII etc

NOOP

Chimp
Apr 26, 2007
4 steps to get better in super D

1) Road ride, you will increase your cardio, lower your resting heart rate and be able to push bigger gears=faster pace. Road ride at least twice a week and then fill in the rest of your week with XC.
2) Lose fat and gain musle. You will need to be as light as possible but as strong as possible for the rough sections.
3) Train sprints and gate snaps. BMX will help you here. You need to be able to get out early and maintain the pace.
4)Dh and Dj once week to maintain your technical skills.
This is good advice, but I'm not so sure that road riding is the key, or should be first in this list. Granted, it depends on what you mean by 'road riding'... I'm thinking that it's long-ish steady paced rides, but it could be time trials, hill climbs, etc.

My point is that road riding, while a decent exercise, is not really sport-specific. To me, it would be better to ride intervals at our around the length of time a typical race would last, with the goal to be building up the intensity of your efforts over time. This could be done on or off-road, but you need to pedal a lot in either case.

Ultimately, what you emphasize in training is dependent on what your weak (and strong) areas are. Some people might have great skills and endurance, but have poor strength - their training would look different than someone who has poor cardio, but good strength, etc. Also, you should consider what other races you compete in, especially if they are on the same weekend, and tailor your training accordingly, e.g. if you want to do well in Super D and DH, you better be able to perform well during the *last* day's race, which means you'll have to be able to recover quickly, have a lot of overall strength, and have high work capacity.

Finally, I like the simplicity of your program, SDH... I think it would help a lot of people as is, and it would be cool if you (or anyone else) can elaborate some more on it - or any other training experiences for Super D!

croute

Chimp
Jul 7, 2006
if you want to train in super d just come to france
we have about 15 to 20 national super d races