Quantcast

Super light orange

hey...

anyone remember that superlight 222 or 223 url? it was something like 16.X kg? i try to find that page but i just cant find it anywhere... :(

my friend is building new 223 and he is gonna get that 16kg or under...

thx

:monkey: -hZö- :monkey:

ÆX

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
NM
neversummersnow said:
BCD...toot your own horn here buddy!!! It's not spamming if it relates right?
16k = 35.2

i actully have yet to get a race dh bike that light.
mabey if i got a Ti spring and took off my michies 2.8's
i could. 35 is light but i could make one lighter. for a sub 160
lbs rider.

shagwell

Monkey
Jun 15, 2004
to everyone obsessing about making their bikes lighter..

the guy who built that bike up eventually had to sell it for financial reasons only to buy an old completely standard i drive dh 6 months or so later and admitting that it was just as fast as his superlight orange.

pretty interesting i thought??

mr.terrible

Chimp
Aug 24, 2004
Finland
Hösö said:
hey...

anyone remember that superlight 222 or 223 url? it was something like 16.X kg? i try to find that page but i just cant find it anywhere... :(

my friend is building new 223 and he is gonna get that 16kg or under...

thx

:monkey: -hZö- :monkey:
Lappalaisilla on lähtenyt tämä grammaviilailu melko pahasti lapasesta :D . No onhan se toisaalta mukavaa ajella kevyellä pyörällä.

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
shagwell said:
to everyone obsessing about making their bikes lighter..

the guy who built that bike up eventually had to sell it for financial reasons only to buy an old completely standard i drive dh 6 months or so later and admitting that it was just as fast as his superlight orange.

pretty interesting i thought??
The GT I have could do with losing some weight. It pedals better than the 222 did but I do miss the floating brake. Lightweight isn't a bad thing if you can afford it - I was hardly riding anymore and wanted to buy a decent car so selling the bike made sense at the time.

Still got the GT and quite happy with it, shame about the brake jack :(

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
Heath Sherratt said:
I built a gemini DH that weighed in at 36lbs even with out a ti spring, heavy saddle, and no comprimises in peformance. I think I could build one at 35 pretty easy.
yeah mine is 38.75 and that's with a Shiver and steel spring!....D

Jorgen

Monkey
Oct 3, 2003
Oslo, Norway
Latest edition has a Mojo-team 223 with a 3" stroke RP3 :-)
No stupid light parts except modified XTR cranks. WithFox 40 and Hope 6pots.

I think it weighed 16.7kg. With paint and everything.

Article says you save 500g's with the RP3 over the DHX/Ti.

davetrump

Turbo Monkey
Jul 29, 2003
dhkid said:
whats the weight of the 223 and the gemini anyways?
my 223 with a fox dhx and steel spring weighs under 9.5 lbs. which is much lighter than the gemini which comes in just above 11 (according to the local shop who has one hanging on a scale)... canondale advertises it as a 9.5 pound frame, but they fail to tell you that that weight is taken without a shock mounted (lots of manufacturers do this)

i think some people in this thread are seriously exagerateing the lack of weight that their bikes have... i know what mine weighs, and there is no way that those gemini's weigh what you are all saying they weigh without having to find some insanely light parts... especially considering you are starting off with a frame over 11 pounds.

spending tons of cash to make a super light bike is over rated in my opinion. 38-42 lbs on a dh bike will feel like pretty much the same thing.

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
my 223 with a fox dhx and steel spring weighs under 9.5 lbs

You reckon? My 222 frame weighed 10.4 lbs stock, admittedly it had a floating setup on it but that only added 1 lb. I would have thought a 223 frame weighs more than a 222 frame but maybe I'm wrong, and your steel spring will be some .6lb heavier than my ti 5th element one was. Maybe the DHX shock body is silly light. I dunno, but maybe you should check your scales with something you *know* the weight of?

dhkid

Turbo Monkey
Mar 10, 2005
Malaysia
Heath Sherratt said:
Yeah but the rp3 will heat up and not take the abuse that the dhx will.
wouldn't the lack of compression danmping and bottoming out resistence be more of a problem than the shox heating up?
i currently run a fox float rl on my bullit and i use it for dh, there is this one trail where there is 15 mins of dh, then 10 mins of pushing up hill, then another 30 mins of super tech dh. the shox heating up isn't really a problem for me. but then agian i am only 110 lbs and i am not sure how rider weight will effect the heating of the shox.
my set up really sux, its too hard for the small high frequency bumps but too soft for the bigger hits, it bottoms out when i hit a 2 ft drop. but thats the best compramise(sp?) i can get out of an air shox so i just got to live with it untill my dhx comes. FYI: my current set up is a fox 40 in front and the air shox in the rear,lol :nuts:
pity i dont have a camera, you guys will have some good laughs looking at my current set-up.

davetrump

Turbo Monkey
Jul 29, 2003
- seb said:
my 223 with a fox dhx and steel spring weighs under 9.5 lbs

You reckon? My 222 frame weighed 10.4 lbs stock, admittedly it had a floating setup on it but that only added 1 lb. I would have thought a 223 frame weighs more than a 222 frame but maybe I'm wrong, and your steel spring will be some .6lb heavier than my ti 5th element one was. Maybe the DHX shock body is silly light. I dunno, but maybe you should check your scales with something you *know* the weight of?

the 223 is lighter than the 222... the swingarm is quite different and uses less material, and is much slimer in its profile.

the floater weighs 1 lb, so take that off your 10.4 lb 222 and you have a 9.4 pound frame.

considering that the 223 is lighter, and the fox is a lighter shock than the 5th, i do not see why you are questioning me when i stated that a 223 with fox shock (w/350 spring that is shorter than a 5th spring) comes in under 9.5 lbs. it seems you answered your own question already.

Jorgen

Monkey
Oct 3, 2003
Oslo, Norway
Custom tuned to work with shims, not propedal or other stuff, I think it will work.

Mojo-riders don't use stock shocks.

I don't know. But knowing that Fox will release the DHX Air for next year i 3" stroke, add a custom mojo or push-tuning, those shocks will rock, I'm sure.

Jorgen

dhkid said:
wouldn't the lack of compression danmping and bottoming out resistence be more of a problem than the shox heating up?
i currently run a fox float rl on my bullit and i use it for dh, there is this one trail where there is 15 mins of dh, then 10 mins of pushing up hill, then another 30 mins of super tech dh. the shox heating up isn't really a problem for me. but then agian i am only 110 lbs and i am not sure how rider weight will effect the heating of the shox.
my set up really sux, its too hard for the small high frequency bumps but too soft for the bigger hits, it bottoms out when i hit a 2 ft drop. but thats the best compramise(sp?) i can get out of an air shox so i just got to live with it untill my dhx comes. FYI: my current set up is a fox 40 in front and the air shox in the rear,lol :nuts:
pity i dont have a camera, you guys will have some good laughs looking at my current set-up.

BMXman

I wish I was Canadian
Sep 8, 2001
Victoria, BC
umm...I not sure why the weights for the Gemini's differ from person to person but my large Gemini Dh with a Romic and Ti spring came in at 10.43 lbs...and I used a scale that gets calibrated every 3 months by the government....D

dhkid

Turbo Monkey
Mar 10, 2005
Malaysia
Jorgen said:
Custom tuned to work with shims, not propedal or other stuff, I think it will work.

Mojo-riders don't use stock shocks.

I don't know. But knowing that Fox will release the DHX Air for next year i 3" stroke, add a custom mojo or push-tuning, those shocks will rock, I'm sure.

Jorgen
so you are saying that shims can be added to floats for compression control?

Jorgen

Monkey
Oct 3, 2003
Oslo, Norway
I'm pretty sure that's the only way Mojo tunes all dampers, with shims.
As far as I know the almost cancel out the "adjuster"-knobs and makes a new shimstack to your wishing, or at their recommendation.

I don't see any difference in the way air shocks are dampened compared to coil?

Well, read the interview and you will see that Mojo/Porter belives in shimstacks only... :-)

kicknitLivE

Monkey
Jul 12, 2004
Boulder
I agree with the comment that bikes in the upper 30s and lower 40s will all ride pretty similar. I think suspension tuning is more important than weight. Weight is most noticeable going uphill, and more important for the xc guys.

Ive been overwhelmed by the number of people talking about bladed spokes and other such nonsense on their dh bikes.

dhkid

Turbo Monkey
Mar 10, 2005
Malaysia
Jorgen said:
Well, read the interview and you will see that Mojo/Porter belives in shimstacks only... :-)
where is the interview?

i just went throught the dirt web site, and found that they built up a crazy light orange 223. does anyone know the weight of the whole bike and what the specs are like?

Eurotrash

Monkey
Mar 2, 2002
the mojo guys weren't running the RP3s at the WC in Vigo Spain. Custom tuned or not the shock probably cannot handle that kind of abuse.

Heath Sherratt

Turbo Monkey
Jun 17, 2004
In a healthy tension
davetrump said:
my 223 with a fox dhx and steel spring weighs under 9.5 lbs. which is much lighter than the gemini which comes in just above 11 (according to the local shop who has one hanging on a scale)... canondale advertises it as a 9.5 pound frame, but they fail to tell you that that weight is taken without a shock mounted (lots of manufacturers do this)

i think some people in this thread are seriously exagerateing the lack of weight that their bikes have... i know what mine weighs, and there is no way that those gemini's weigh what you are all saying they weigh without having to find some insanely light parts... especially considering you are starting off with a frame over 11 pounds.

spending tons of cash to make a super light bike is over rated in my opinion. 38-42 lbs on a dh bike will feel like pretty much the same thing.
Frame from said shop probably had the rear hub in it. That's how much mine weighed and they come stock with the hub in the frame so I don't think they took it out to weigh it. Geminis are very light and ride well. This thread has made me curious about Oranges and I like that they are so raked out but until the euro loses some of it's power and the dollar rises again I'll be keeping my money for other things than an overseas frame. Besides, the gemini is changing again next year and I am really looking forward to riding it.
Comparing the two frames is like apples to oranges... :D