Quantcast

Super T w/Air preload

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
>8snip8<
I like the air assist setup since it allows me to fine-tune (with low pressures) bottom-out, without noticably affecting initial stroke performance. Combine that with tweaking oil levels, and you have some pretty decent tuning options. Sure, it's not very sophisticated, but then, I'm not a very sophisticated rider. ;)
Exactly. That's why I want to do it. I was going to try full air in the left leg (w/o spring), but I maybe it's not worth trying. Maybe I should just set it up like SprungShoulders.

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
Exactly. That's why I want to do it. I was going to try full air in the left leg (w/o spring), but I maybe it's not worth trying. Maybe I should just set it up like SprungShoulders.
How much do you weigh? With no springs it is much different. The air acts as the springs and preload.

When I run the air assist and 10-15psi the fork gets bouncey and is exactly like Vitox said. It sort of aids in bottom out but then the fork feels terrible. Without springs you can play with the air and fine tune it but with springs its like adding preload. I hope this makes sense as I have been playing with it for a few weeks now. The fork does feel pretty good with no springs (in one leg) and about 30psi. I think the max air WITH springs is 15psi and the mas air withOUT springs is 50psi.

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
Fixed for ya....
No springs in ONE leg. There are 2 springs per leg in the 03 Super T.

My wife weighs 135 and I ran the fork at 10-15psi with no springs in one leg and left the oil level the same as the other leg. She thought it was perfect.

bjanga

Turbo Monkey
Dec 25, 2004
San Diego
Maybe i'll try it then. How much oil should I put in the left leg (with the air cap)? I weigh 140lbs.
Up to you, brah. The more oil, the less air volume and therefore the more progressive the compression stroke will be. I dunno what (of any) damper the left leg has, but if the HSCV cart handles both compression and rebound, you might be OK just tearing everything out except some oil for lubrication :busted:

Just keep in mind that you should try and avoid higher air pressures (the oil seal holds the air inside the fork, higher PSI makes the seal 'stick' to the stanchion). If you get way too much sag with one spring and compensate with lots of air, you may find that that the dual spring setup is more compliant. If one spring sags fine but bottoms, you can raise oil heights and/or add air to make the fork more progressive.

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
The SSVF cart is on the left and the HSCV is on the right. I'm thinking about just leaving the right one and doing like 60% oil and %40 air on the left leg.

edit: I don't think that makes sense.