Quantcast

Supercross Predictions for this weekend?

batts65

Monkey
Aug 27, 2002
Upstate NY
Amazing seeing what JGR has done for Stewart's bike, but then if you have ever been in a NASCAR race shop it was just a matter of time.

I really want to see Dungey get the KTM onto the podium, but with the year Ryan V. had last year I have to say he is the man to beat.

1st RV
2nd Stewart
3rd Dungey
4th Reed
5th Metcalf (Trey Canard if he decides to race, he was given the ok but may sit out one more week)

rayhaan

Monkey
Oct 18, 2007
ireland
I am still blown away by the speed Ryan Villopoto has, damn he was so fast at A1, he's going to be very hard to beat.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
I am still blown away by the speed Ryan Villopoto has, damn he was so fast at A1, he's going to be very hard to beat.
Those were some tight quarters to have to race in. Even having to set up a pass cost time that RV1 was just gobbling up. He just looked fitter. I don't envy those guys trying to run 2 wide, let alone swapping lines on that track.

Definitely some great racing though!

Nice to see the helmet painter team beat all the factory guys ;)
i thought like reed, lucas oil/honda essentially have "factory" bikes.

i was surprised that dean didn't do better...especially with that bobble at the end that cost him a podium. however, it was exciting to see Tomac charge out of the LCQ and end up with a 3rd place podium in the Main.

hats off to villopoto for a dominating ride in the main. i agree with the speed channel announcing that stewart just never looked "on" in the main. that crash at the end looked amateurish, essentially running off the track.

ONWARD to phoenix!

edit:
did anyone notice the tight leggings monster energy blond holding the time board at the start of the SX Main? SMOKIN!

intensified

Monkey
Mar 31, 2004
Canton,Ma
ONWARD to phoenix!

edit:
did anyone notice the tight leggings monster energy blond holding the time board at the start of the SX Main? SMOKIN![/QUOTE]

Great show!!!
i noticed her when she winked at me, made me special.

jsg04

Monkey
Aug 29, 2006
I am pretty sure TLD is just a support team. I highly doubt they have any factory Honda stuff on the bikes. I don't think any factory messes around with a lites program except KTM. I guess Stik would know the real answer.

Some stuff from the night...

3 out of the big 4 crashed or washed out.

Stewart looked like he hadn't raced in 7 months... oh wait. I expected more for some reason and he got a bad start once again.

Tomac went from full on damage control at the start of the LCQ to a 3rd at the end of the night. Plus he may have had one of the best holeshots ever in the LCQ.

Brayton and Weimer with solid results, Hansen with a top 10 and Tedesco was running very good until he crashed.

I wonder how many people thought Osborne was JLaw?

JT gear is still ugly.

Bret Michaels needs to go away, I don't care how much money he gives away.

motomike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 19, 2005
North Carolina
Factory honda is honda/geico no? Kawasaki factory is the procircuit team no? Only suzuki and yamaha has bowed out of the whole "factory" race team model.
Honda Muscle Milk is their factory team this year, with Trey Canard and Justin Brayton. Kawasaki's factory team is Monster Energy Kawasaki and includes Villopoto and Jake Weimer. The Pro Circuit Kawasaki team is owned by Mitch Payton and is traditionally a 250 (Lites) team, however for the first time ever, they have a 450 rider this year in Broc Tickle. This is because he has scored over 100 points in the past 3 seasons, therefore forced to move up to the big class.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
I am pretty sure TLD is just a support team. I highly doubt they have any factory Honda stuff on the bikes. I don't think any factory messes around with a lites program except KTM. I guess Stik would know the real answer.
didnt they say during the broadcast that despite them not being the "official" factory team, they are still riding factory bikes? or was that another team?

stiksandstones

Turbo Monkey
May 21, 2002
Orange, Ca
I work about 75' from our race shop, our bikes come from a crate, definitely NOT factory works bikes like Geico or PC.
We are the dark horse, and we are the only gear company with a full fledged race team.

drastic.

Monkey
May 16, 2011
pleasanton, ca
Stewart looked like he hadn't raced in 7 months... oh wait. I expected more for some reason and he got a bad start once again.
i think a lot had to do with tire selection.

during practice #3, james stewart ran the fastest qualifier on a works dunlop tire, and probably would've ran it for the main, but yamaha or dunlops manager (forget who he works for), broc glover, reclaimed the dunlop tire from JGR. he also ran a rebadged bridgestone in practice #2.

JGR is working on testing all new tires w/ JS during this week.

so it's pretty clear JS clearly doesnt like the pirelli tires JGR is running right now. if you don't have the confidence in your tires you run, then you cant really allow yourself to push it.

i think JS knew he couldnt get 100% comfortable on the pirellis, so instead of trying to run at 100%, he decided to ride around at like 70% and just earn points for the round.

hopefully they get a new tire made up that JS likes.

Phoenix track is looking a LOT more like the standard sx tracks that we're use to seeing...flowy, fast tech sections where the top 1-3 guys will be able to do a line that no one else can and will seperate themselves from the pack. i think all the top 4-5 guys are going to feel and be a lot faster on this track.
i expect (hope) to see JS up there w/ RV this coming week.

jsg04

Monkey
Aug 29, 2006
definitely NOT factory works bikes like Geico or PC.
We are the dark horse, and we are the only gear company with a full fledged race team.
I don't think you can call Factory Connections and PC factory either. It's not like FC has hydro clutches, clamps, suspension like team Honda, Reed and Short. PC runs Showa and PC stuff and factory Kawi has KYB.

Wait...I'm lost. What happened to the word "WORKS"? Has "FACTORY" replaced it? Am I really that old?
There is no real Works bikes anymore like back in the day when factories could do whatever to the bikes like modify frames, swing arms, carb and everything. Now there are production rules and limits. However the GP's have Works bikes.

i think a lot had to do with tire selection.
I was shocked when he said that he was happy with the Pirellis after the first week of testing with JGR and was going to run them for the season. Especially after JGR said whatever James wants James gets. I hope it was just a bit of rust for James. He will be back.

mattyj

Chimp
Apr 21, 2010
I don't think you can call Factory Connections and PC factory either. It's not like FC has hydro clutches, clamps, suspension like team Honda, Reed and Short. PC runs Showa and PC stuff and factory Kawi has KYB.
FC does have technical support from the Manufacturer, where as TLD gets only stock motorcycles & production parts. TLD development is done in house without the tech support from Honda. PC also is technically supported by Kawasaki, as well as being on the forefront for development for them.
Lites rules are different from 450 class rules... there is a monetary cap on suspension costs for lights teams (approx $7500) where as 450 class is available to run more expensive options. Thats why 'A Kit' is what you see on 250's but 450's you may see some of the 'works' options.
PC runs showa suspension because they are a distributer for Showa & work with them on the development front.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Looked like Bubba got tired and out of sync on the bike once he did. He didn't look he was spinning wheels in the whoops and nobody was cutting him in the turns or snapping faster out of them w/ better traction. His timing and rhythm was off and it didn't happen until he wore himself out passing lappers.

rayhaan

Monkey
Oct 18, 2007
ireland

I am still amazed at Ryan Villopoto's speed, if you watch this video, watch how good his start was, and then he checks out for the rest of the race!

Lelandjt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
Breckenridge, CO/Lahaina,HI
Bubba's helmet cam
Who was that kook on the Kawi in front of James at the beginning? Looked like it was his first time on a 450. Not able to control the power and the rear end was all over the place. Weird track with a couple jumps that have you landing on a table-top. I'd like to see if Villapoto was back-siding those.

rayhaan

Monkey
Oct 18, 2007
ireland
None of the riders liked that track. I was very shocked at Josh Grant's performance, I guess he's a bit rusty, dude has had a lot of bad luck in the last while, hope he gets back on form!

suffocating

Chimp
Jun 2, 2010
FC does have technical support from the Manufacturer, where as TLD gets only stock motorcycles & production parts. TLD development is done in house without the tech support from Honda. PC also is technically supported by Kawasaki, as well as being on the forefront for development for them.
Lites rules are different from 450 class rules... there is a monetary cap on suspension costs for lights teams (approx $7500) where as 450 class is available to run more expensive options. Thats why 'A Kit' is what you see on 250's but 450's you may see some of the 'works' options.
PC runs showa suspension because they are a distributer for Showa & work with them on the development front.

Interestingly both the TLD and Geico Honda team use motors modded with Pro Circuit parts, and the TLD team uses Pro Circuit modded suspension. You know you're doing something right when your competitors want to run your stuff. I would be willing to bet Cole Seely (TLD) and Eli Tomac (Geico Honda) have pretty comparable bikes, performance wise, when they are on the start line.

It's still the rider that makes a bike go fast. A good rider beats a fast bike.

mattyj

Chimp
Apr 21, 2010
Interestingly both the TLD and Geico Honda team use motors modded with Pro Circuit parts, and the TLD team uses Pro Circuit modded suspension. You know you're doing something right when your competitors want to run your stuff. I would be willing to bet Cole Seely (TLD) and Eli Tomac (Geico Honda) have pretty comparable bikes, performance wise, when they are on the start line.
Ahh you might want to re think that.... FC no longer uses PC for engines or exhausts. They use Yoshimura exhausts, just like the factory 450 team now.
Sure all the 250's are pretty close now but TLD doesn't share any technical components that FC use. About the only comparable things on Seely's & Tomac's bikes are the frames & red plastic.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Ahh you might want to re think that.... FC no longer uses PC for engines or exhausts. They use Yoshimura exhausts, just like the factory 450 team now.
Sure all the 250's are pretty close now but TLD doesn't share any technical components that FC use. About the only comparable things on Seely's & Tomac's bikes are the frames & red plastic.
Factory get moar shimz.

.....had to be said.

suffocating

Chimp
Jun 2, 2010
Cool, didn't realize Geico team had moved away from Pro Circuit stuff.

I understand that the bikes have parts with different names on them but it's hard to say performance wise one bike is better than the other. According to this press release http://www.vitalmx.com/news/press-release/Honda-Factory-Team-and-Support-Teams-Gear-Up-for-2012-Supercross-Season-Opener,11740both TLD and FC are classified as "support teams". TLD team manager is quoted as saying “We continue to improve every year and with American Honda’s ongoing support, I think we have a great chance at winning a championship in 2012.”

nh dude

Monkey
May 30, 2003
Vt
Stewart just took the win for the first heat. Passed two guys in the same corner. Then dumped it in the Final. The live feed is awesome ! So is the SPEED show "Dumb Stuff on Wheels".

Last edited: