Quantcast

Superstar Hubs?

ROTFLMAO

Monkey
Nov 17, 2007
Maumee, Ohio
Haha, I should read more. I just took a look at the pic and description...

Colourways yes!

Is it just me or is their website extremely slow?

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
That's pretty cool, though I have reservations about the quality. Hadley couldn't nail the 120pt engagement, but somebody else can for $100 less? I hope it's true, that would be rad! I am looking for a new wheelset, too....

fluider

Monkey
Jun 25, 2008
Bratislava, Slovakia
According to their Shipping & Return info page they do ship to the world. Better write them an emil, they might be busy with responding to all emails but my experience with Superstar is very good.
Don't know about this particular hub, I've been using their Switch hubs for over 4 months and they are Novatecs in fact.

yd35

Monkey
Oct 28, 2008
NY
According to their Shipping & Return info page they do ship to the world. Better write them an emil, they might be busy with responding to all emails but my experience with Superstar is very good.
Don't know about this particular hub, I've been using their Switch hubs for over 4 months and they are Novatecs in fact.
If you place an item in your cart and checkout, you'll come to a page where you select shipping. That's where you'll see a note that says "No sales to USA due to insurance, Sorry".

scottishmark

Turbo Monkey
May 20, 2002
Somewhere dark, cold & wet....
If you place an item in your cart and checkout, you'll come to a page where you select shipping. That's where you'll see a note that says "No sales to USA due to insurance, Sorry".
Send them to me and I'll forward them on. I'll also have a friend place $30,000,000,000 in your bank account, $28,000,000,000 of which you must then forward on to me. Did I mention I'm a Nigerian Prince? ;)

Sep 27, 2009
Been on these for only 6 weeks, but so far they are tough, diggin the logo too. I had a Scottish friend buy them and send them to me.

brian field

Monkey
Feb 5, 2007
I was hoping to try one of thees,, too bad they don't ship to us.

Apparently Dirt magazine loves superstar pedals and hubs/wheels...

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle
Seems like a rip to me. Made in asia, no middle man, double the profit for them.
Only slightly cheaper that Hadley and the customer service is suspect. They don't make the parts and they are on the other side of the world.
Boo on the alum freehub body with bushings???

scottishmark

Turbo Monkey
May 20, 2002
never noticed that bit, does sound a bit full of fail. Shame though, cause they're cheap hubs/wheels really are good vfm.

Haven't heard of any customer service issues for a couple of years or so, and the 2 sets of pedals, grips, wheels and various brake pads I've had off them have all be faultless.

I'm a bit of a fan, just in case you hadn't guessed ;)

ScarredOne

Monkey
Sep 18, 2001
i HATE aluminum freehub bodies. unless it's super cheap (crc hope wheelset), that trait alone will make me look elsewhere.

Inclag

Turbo Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
MA
Seems like a rip to me. Made in asia, no middle man, double the profit for them.
Only slightly cheaper that Hadley and the customer service is suspect. They don't make the parts and they are on the other side of the world.
No middle men is a bad thing how?

I at least feel a little better about companies that merely re-badge their name on some Asian company's product if it means the consumer gets something cheaper so long that it is standard product with a proven track record (like re-badged Welgo pedals).

I'd much rather have Johnny-I-love-bikes-so-much-and-want-to-be-in-the-"Industry" being what is essentially an importer for some of these Asian brands. It's when Johnny wants gets involved with the management of the design or manufacturing of oversea parts when I run for the hills.

I'll freely admit I don't know much about Superstar Components, but from the brief look I've had at some of their parts, it does appear that they are just sticking their logos on "catalog components".

scottishmark

Turbo Monkey
May 20, 2002
I'll freely admit I don't know much about Superstar Components, but from the brief look I've had at some of their parts, it does appear that they are just sticking their logos on "catalog components".
bang on, and they dont hide it..."Superstar Components buys parts from factories around the world, and retails them direct to the customer to avoid costs. We can offer the same products as most brands for much less than their RRP, the products the same, the quality is the same, the route to you is much leaner!" - straight from the website. They also talk about buying in bulk to drive the costs down too. Seems to be a wysiwyg type company, no hiding behind marketing b*ll*cks

klunky

Turbo Monkey
Oct 17, 2003
Scotland
Some company that used 20mm BT rear hubs razor rock? used bushings a while back.
As far as I know they went bust...

One of my mates bought a superstar wheel set and whilst it does not seem to hold up under punishment. Parts might be ok but the wheel build quality is guff.

buildyourown

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2004
South Seattle

I at least feel a little better about companies that merely re-badge their name on some Asian company's product if it means the consumer gets something cheaper so long that it is standard product with a proven track record (like re-badged Welgo pedals).

I'd much rather have Johnny-I-love-bikes-so-much-and-want-to-be-in-the-"Industry" being what is essentially an importer for some of these Asian brands. It's when Johnny wants gets involved with the management of the design or manufacturing of oversea parts when I run for the hills.

Depends on how they do "no middle man". Most companies use middle men to increase distribution of product and parts so end users can get parts and product quicker. Rockshox using QBP for all warranty and EPs for example.
It raises a red flag because they are cutting out the middle man, but the price seems steep. They are easily making twice the profit of any traditionally distributed hub.
It looks to me that they took a catalog hub and tweaked the freehub design for 120pt with little control on quality. My gut tells me the bushing in the freehub wasn't a design goal, but rather a compromise when they ran out of space for thier engagement mech.

I'm hatin' a lot for just looking at the website, but if you want cheap hubs, just go buy cheap hubs. There are plenty of proven options for just a few dollars more.

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
I just did crash replacement on a rival shifter with them yesterday, my roommate warrantied a x7 shifter and a lyric IS damper and got an x7 shifter and a lyric DH damper back on monday, so I think that theyre still handling warranty. I know you can EP through qbp, but I don't know how much longer that will last. SRAM set up their accounts so they can charge money directly now, rather then making you go through qbp whenever you needed to buy parts, so they may go in house.

Anyway....Back to superstar hubs. I'd rather have a cheap reliable sealed bearing hub with 24pt engagement and reasonably light weight then a cheap unreliable bushing hub with poor service and 120pt engagment. But cool that they're offering pretty colors, I would buy whatever set would compliment my eyes the best.

w00dy

In heaven there is no beer
Jun 18, 2004
that's why we drink it here
Some BMX hubs use bushings because BMXers want tiny dirvetrains and big axles.

My qualm is this:
On a 3 pawl system you always run the risk on only engaging 1 or 2 pawls.
Under torque, a partially engaged freehub exerts a large shear force on the axle and can break it.

Slop in the freehub (worn bushings) will exaggerate this risk.
Small gaps between engagement points (120 f-ing points) will exaggerate this risk.
Poor concentricity of machined components will exaggerate this risk (made where?).

It better have a large axle, because there will be lots of shear load on that poor thing.

Nagaredama

Turbo Monkey
Nov 15, 2004
Manhattan Beach, CA USA
Halo Supadrive hub are nearly identical as the Superstar Superleggra. Talked at length with a nice British at Interbike about the hubs. According to him a couple of British 4X pros have been thrashing the hubs for a couple years and haven't had any problems. He also mention Halo would be doing a complete wheelset with the hub very shortly.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Why is everyone obsessed with where it is made, oh wait Asian people can't progam a CNC, silly me.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
that's a pretty weak arguement these days - see: the vast majority of the bike industry
see: throwaway parts and components, see also 10 year old brooklyn bikes, 5 year old turners, and 8 year old hadley hubs...

I'm not saying one is exclusive of the other, there are certainly US built garbage parts and asain built wunder-kraft, but I'm tired of asian built fail-parts. I drive a german car, and it's well worth your time and money to buy german/OEM built components, unless you like replacing the same part twice.

marshalolson

Turbo Monkey
May 25, 2006
quality control. See: evil bikes, corsair, Zerode.
these factories will build it to the exact specifications you ask. if you don't give good specifications, or you don't design it right, you get crap. if you give them super precise well designed specs, you get anything as good as anywhere else.

if you brand OE catalog parts, then you get whatever whomever designed.

Jim Mac

MAKE ENDURO GREAT AGAIN
May 21, 2004
the middle east of NY
these factories will build it to the exact specifications you ask. if you don't give good specifications, or you don't design it right, you get crap. if you give them super precise well designed specs, you get anything as good as anywhere else.

if you brand OE catalog parts, then you get whatever whomever designed.
I generally agree on this. They have come a long, long way -as much as I would like to say otherwise. Problems will arise, however, when the value of the Chinese dollar starts to rise (it's artificially lowered by the gov't right now) and the manufacturing base shifts towards, say, India or even North Korea :eek:

Inclag

Turbo Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
MA
quality control. See: evil bikes, corsair, Zerode.
Gotta chime in, but IMHO a company should never bank on a manufacturer to hit every specification or perform the necessary inspection made in the USA or otherwise.

It's the people at these "bike companies" who sign off on the parts/tooling without having themselves or a third party validate them that are to blame. There are plenty of standard practices that are done to prevent inferior products from reaching the consumer. Unfortunately I think a fair amount of people in the cycling industry don't subscribe by them.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
see: throwaway parts and components, see also 10 year old brooklyn bikes, 5 year old turners, and 8 year old hadley hubs...

I'm not saying one is exclusive of the other, there are certainly US built garbage parts and asain built wunder-kraft, but I'm tired of asian built fail-parts. I drive a german car, and it's well worth your time and money to buy german/OEM built components, unless you like replacing the same part twice.
OK my non Asain hubs, Hope- snapped an axle, Hadley- never very good from new, adjusting nuts had to be loctited to stop hub self adjusting while riding. Middleburn- rear hub was made for a 9mm DO instead of 10mm, 9mm WTF?

The only problem I have ever had with an Asain hub was an old Planet-X hub and the faulty parts for that were replaced without even showing proof of ID way after the purchase date.