Quantcast

Surgery or Suicide, I said....

pnj

Turbo Monkey till the fat lady sings
Aug 14, 2002
seattle
I injured my back 8 months ago. I haven't been on a bike in that much time. I haven't worked for 4 months. I've seen plenty of doctors, done P.T., and have done NOTHING for the last 4 months other then stand all day. getting dressed sucks, getting out of bed sucks, waking up at 4:30 each morning because I can't sleep from the pain sucks, driving in my car super sucks. I'm not getting money from the guvment or anything, I'm living on savings and pretty much loosing my mind.

I was in the spine clinic today and when the doctor said, "let's discuss your options...", I said, "Surgery or suicide, you make the call."

I'm getting surgery on Monday at 6:00 am. :)

'bout damm time.

Miagi

Chimp
May 5, 2007
York County
Good decision. Hope all goes well for you. I can't imagine how hard things must have been these last months, but don't ever just give up. That's just plain stupid.

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
Good luck. I'll kick a dog to draw the attention of the bad karma floating around.

edit: Not that you have any bad karma looking for you but with bad karma you never can tell.... it being bad and all.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Dude, that sucks. Good luck with that.

I hurt my back 3 weeks ago and have been in near constant pain since. I have an MRI scheduled on Monday, but I told them surgery is not an option. I have had good luck in the past with acupuncture, so I will try that before they cut me open. Also, my insurance doesn't cover alternative treatments, so I have to pay out of pocket.

For the time being I'm on wicked pain meds. Good times, I tell ya.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
My wife had minimally invasive back surgery years ago, it took her up to a full year to get to the point of functioning without constant pain.

She had intra-discal electro thermal surgery. Basically they burn the disc with a hot wire to cauterize it and destroy the pain sensing nerves. It's not 100% but it helped.

The one thing that saves her from daily pain now is yoga. Look into that after your recovery.

Good luck and good health man.

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
just sittin' here drinkin' scotch
Do you know exactly what's wrong? My (an Da Peach's) mom has had two spinal fusions. She was in really bad shape prior to the surgeries. She's way better now...still not perfect. But WAY better...(she is a 60 year old woman after all).

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
First of all...Good luck hope things are successfull and heal up quickly!

second..what are you having done? Discectomy? (I think we talked here a while ago about your back pain..might have been seeing Chapman?? Maybe it was someone else...) I just (5 months ago) had my second surgery (single level fusion this time) and things are FINALLY starting to feel better. I still have some leg pain after sitting for a long stretch and I am VERY tight in the lower back/hip (most likely, IMO, was a causal agent in all of this to begin with)....but no more morphine!!!! In fact an occasional tylenol is all I need anymore (after ~ 1 year on morphine 2X daily).

I hope to be riding again here shortly after over a year without....

again, good luck, and make sure you get in to see a knowledgeable P.T. asap after the surgery..core strengthening/flexibility is key!!

pnj

Turbo Monkey till the fat lady sings
Aug 14, 2002
seattle
Thanks y'all.

Yes, it's a lumbar Discectomy. I'm seeing dr. Chapman.

I have a hernated disc at level five (I think I said that correctly). I said months ago (like 6) that surgery wasn't an option. But it's not getting better and I've stopped doing any physical activitys other then basic living ones, such as getting into and out of bed and getting dressed. I have been doing physical therapy though. It no worky...

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
Hey man, lemme know if i can be of any help while you're down.

Here's to gettin to the downhill side, and hopin you have full recovery.

.Pit Steelers.

Nostradumbass
Jun 18, 2006
Hawaii
Kill you self it's the best option, but be sure to take others with you. Trust me it will pay off in the long run.

edit: whoops never noticed you decided not to kill you self, but im sure you can still change your mind ake.

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
Jens has a great rep with several of the docs that I have dealt with. I met with him several times and would have felt very comfortable with him holding the knife.

My discectomy recovery was fairly quick....couple days in bed..couple days of EZ movement...and then slowely getting back into 'it'. PT was a big help (more so than the surgery for me)...just make sure if you do not have a significant reduction on pain post surgery..make a stink, and figure out for sure what is going on and why...

hey pnj, how old are you? I am 37 now...34 at the start of my back issues.
nvm..checked your profile, ...think I found the connection though..you joined RM on my birthday....I am bad luck....sorry.

wishing you the best!