Quantcast

Surly Krampus

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Anybody spend any time on the Surly Krampus? I really dug the 29er hardtail I had, and have been toying with the idea of a short stayed/slack AM hardtail 29er for a while, but the Krampus kind of fills that niche, while also being part fatbike. I tried the fatbike thing but didn't like it, and can't afford the upgrades to make a decent trail-oriented fatty. Krampa comes out of the box with a pretty decent setup.

mdc

Monkey
Jul 8, 2006
Uxbridge
I know a few folks who have them and really like them. The shop I use in RI is selling their demo and would most likely have it at the RINEMBA ride at Lincoln Woods this weekend If you were interested in checking it out....

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Thanks homey. What shop is it? Wasn't planning on doing anything special this weekend but maybe I can spare a little bit of time to get there...

The one I have my eye on is actually used and in RI. If it goes then I probably won't get one!

4xBoy

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2006
Minneapolis
I ride that wheel, one of my favorite set-ups, great amount of float in sand, Knards roll really smooth.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
have you ridden the krampus, or just the wheels? I imagine it's not terribly dissimilar to other rigid, steel 29ers, but it does have mega wheels/tires.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
um...alright, not sure what you mean. I owned a pugsley for a brief period of time, but found that it rode like a pig with the heavy wheels and tires. I couldn't bring myself to spend oodles of money on lighter rims and tires and wheelbuilds associated, so I sold it. I liked the way that the frame rode though.

mdc

Monkey
Jul 8, 2006
Uxbridge
The shop is Blackstone Bicycles in Cumberland. If your seriously considering going down- give them a call to be sure they still have the bike and that they can bring it over to the ride.

In regards to Surly- I've been oogling the new Surly Instigator 2.0. 50mm wide rims, 26x2.75 ( 650b diameter), 16.4 chainstays and a 140mm fork. Looks fuuuun...

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Yeah, that's cool but it looks a little bit to me like a solution in search of a problem. Fat tires can be good, but I'm not sure there's a ton of value unless you're rocking big fatties (3.8+) or are just getting totally crazy with 29x3. You're locked into a single brand/type of tire...again...and 26/650b/29" standards exist for people who want suspension. Seems to me like there are really good options out there for 140mm AM hardtails, and they don't rely on non-existant standards. That's one of the biggest dilemmas with the Krampus...only surly makes the wildly expensive knard, but at least you can run normal tires too.

4xBoy

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2006
Minneapolis
Dirt wizard is the other tire available some time in the future.

Velocity has the dually rim, cheaper, tubleless.