Quantcast

Suspension components vs Suspension design?

Nov 9, 2005
Whats your take, do you think that a bike with an old suspension design and a nice rear shock would better perform something with a new high tech rear suspensiopn design and a decent rear shock? Whats more important, the damping or the design?

dw

Wiffle Ball ninja
Sep 10, 2001
MV
The old saying goes something like this, "You can't polish a turd."

That's not saying that all older bikes are turds, or that all new bikes are not turds, but if you were to have one that was a turd, you would be hard pressed to polish it.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
That's like asking, "What's more important, the engine or the handling in a car?"

It's not a useful question because one can't be good without the other. A good suspension design with a bad damper will feel like crap. By the same token, a good damper on a lousy suspension design will also feel like crap.

IMO, I would rather have a suspension design that does not rely on inherent traits of the damper (e.g. a pedaling platform) - that is, I guess I'm saying I'd rather have a stellar suspension system than a stellar damper if I had to choose - but a smartly designed suspension system is likely going to be designed to work harmoniously with some characteristics of a damper.

That's not saying that all older bikes are turds, or that all new bikes are not turds, but if you were to have one that was a turd, you would be hard pressed to polish it.
Wow, man.

That's like...

Wow.

Hey, man, don't bogart the doobie. :D

rigidhack

Turbo Monkey
Aug 16, 2004
In a Van(couver) down by the river
Seems to me that BV got it right. At the same time, a really nice shock on an older suspension design will make a world of difference and will save you a ton o money. For example, if you ride a Bullit and switch from a beat Fox R to, lets say an brand new Avy or a DHX 5, the change won't be small.

dhkid

Turbo Monkey
Mar 10, 2005
Malaysia
imo when you get to the amount of adjustments like the ccdb, its getting pretty silly.
there is always a fine line between technology that will make you ride faster and technology that would make you spend more time fiddleling with your bike.

edit, i haven't ridden a ccdb, so i could be totally blown away by it and take what i said back. but untill then....

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
imo when you get to the amount of adjustments like the ccdb, its getting pretty silly.
there is always a fine line between technology that will make you ride faster and technology that would make you spend more time fiddleling with your bike.

edit, i haven't ridden a ccdb, so i could be totally blown away by it and take what i said back. but untill then....
It's only got 5 adjustments including preload.

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...
You can actually tune it so that it takes up to 30 seconds off your race result by interrupting the space-time continuum...Just saying...

But like Bicyclist said, it's only got 5 adjustments (compared to a DHX with Pro-pedal, boost valvle, pre-load, air assist, & rebound or a 5th Elephant with beginning stroke adjustment, ending stroke adjustment, air assist, pre-load, & rebound), and the nifty thing about it is they really work w/o having to turn the knob 7 times...Plus, I've had one on my V-10 for a little while now, and after some experimenting with the adjustments (and reading the well written manual, which btw, is another novel concept), it really is a quantum leap IMO...I rode another long travel VPP bike yesterday with a DHX on it, and I thought there was significant difference (i.e. I'd have hard time riding the DHX again)...Of course, it was one little run and people set up their shocks different, but that's my take...

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
Good suspension design is where it's at. It is no coincidence that most of the best bikes on the market right now work best with the most simple shocks that various manufacturers make. When you have your leverage ratio dialed even a simple damper does a great job. Adding a fancier damper can make the bike even better in some cases, but not all.

dhkid

Turbo Monkey
Mar 10, 2005
Malaysia
It's only got 5 adjustments including preload.
fair enough i guess i am just used to my dhx where the only thing you adjust is pro pedal(ocationally) and rebound, which you pretty much set and leave. boost valve, air pressure(min) and volume is set and leave too.

but then a perfect shox for me would just have rebound and some way of adjusting bottom out, ie roco. or a dhx with no pp.

to reply to the topic, imo design would be more important. but it depends on what you mean by a crappy shox, if its elastomers and stuff then of course no way. a shox with a working rebound vavling can go a long way. ie van rc.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Good suspension design is where it's at. It is no coincidence that most of the best bikes on the market right now work best with the most simple shocks that various manufacturers make. When you have your leverage ratio dialed even a simple damper does a great job. Adding a fancier damper can make the bike even better in some cases, but not all.

I beg to differ. Simple, well planned single pivots (think Orange, Morewood) work excellently with the proper shock. Without a good shock, these bikes would not stand out on the radar of DH bikes the way they do. That's not to say your statement is false, its just not completely correct. There has to be a good balance between suspension design and shock performance. They go hand in hand.

jackalope

Mental acuity - 1%
Jan 9, 2004
in a single wide, cooking meth...
fair enough i guess i am just used to my dhx where the only thing you adjust is pro pedal(ocationally) and rebound, which you pretty much set and leave. boost valve, air pressure(min) and volume is set and leave too.
Well, once I got my DB dialed in to where I like it, I haven't touched it...It's really not that complicated...I don't even have to check to see how much air has leaked out of the piggyback...

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
I beg to differ. Simple, well planned single pivots (think Orange, Morewood) work excellently with the proper shock. Without a good shock, these bikes would not stand out on the radar of DH bikes the way they do. That's not to say your statement is false, its just not completely correct. There has to be a good balance between suspension design and shock performance. They go hand in hand.
Ummm, you are agreeing with me you know!

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
from what you said i took "good suspension design" to mean more of linkage frames, ie vpps, dw-link, the racelink design, etc. wasn't quite sure if you were including well designed single pivots in that bucket.
A simple single pivot can be just as good. The only thing that matters (for the most part) is the leverage ratio and the wheelpath, not how it is achieved.

dhkid

Turbo Monkey
Mar 10, 2005
Malaysia
Well, once I got my DB dialed in to where I like it, I haven't touched it...It's really not that complicated...I don't even have to check to see how much air has leaked out of the piggyback...
hmm, i donno wtf i was thinking. maybe i am just jelous that it cost 2x as much as what i think i 'need'.:imstupid: