Quantcast

Suspension Fork Reviews & Feedback

aktallguy

Monkey
Aug 31, 2006
Puget Sound, WA
Ok, 6'7" 230 lbs, freakishly long circus type apendages (6'10" wing span and 39.5in inseam. I've been told by several people on different forums that I need a 29er. My big hold back is the fork selection, but most of that is from ignorance on my part. So I'm opening this up to get feedback on forks to bring me over to the 29er side of the world. :^)

I'd be looking at a Turner Sultan or Ventana El Capitan. So the 130mm range of fork travel. I'm a big hater of fork flex and tend to run even the longer travel forks on the stiff side to keep some trail feel.

Suggestions and why? Anyone ridden a WB F135? I saw Manitou makes a 29er Minute a 130. I currently have a minute 3 for my hard tail and I can watch the thing flex 1/4 in during braking (with v brakes) but guys who run the fork with discs haven't reported this problem. Anyone heard of Fox doing a 36mm stan 29er?

el-cid

Chimp
Nov 4, 2004
Anaconda, MT, USA
I wouldn't count on a Fox 36 29er fork anytime soon; they just came out with the 32mm stantion forks. It seems like the reports on the White Bros. forks are universally good; another option is a Maveric DUC with the spacer installed to shorten the travel to 4.5" or so to work on the 29ers.

aktallguy

Monkey
Aug 31, 2006
Puget Sound, WA
I'd probably get the El Cap with 5" rockers and I've been told you can run the 5.5 Spot rockers on the Sultan to get about 4.8" of travel. Some of the local trails can get some nice rooty sections where the 5 vs 4 is nice to have.

el-cid

Chimp
Nov 4, 2004
Anaconda, MT, USA
You can run the 5.5 Spot rockers on the Sultan, but you need to match them up with a custom-length and stroke shock to get the increased travel, so count on another $600 for a Cane Creek Double Barrel shock too. You should be able to order the El Cap or El Ray with the 5" rockers straight from Ventana.