Quantcast

Suspension Lubes, Slick Honey vs Redrum

bdamschen

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2005
Spreckels, CA
Sorry for the cross post, but:

Does Rockshox redrum sus lube have the same properties as slick honey? that is, can I use it to get a better seal at the top of my 888vf and not worry if some of it gets in the shock oil?

Lumberjack

Monkey
Jan 24, 2003
PNW
Stick with the Slick Honey. We've used just about everything over the years at the shop and with Marz forks it is always Slick Honey we go back to. We use it on the o-rings and any place that needs it. Smear some under the dust wiper and your good to go. Some times even a shot of pure silicon spray for good measure in with the Buzzy's under the dust wiper.

bdamschen

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2005
Spreckels, CA
good to know. I wasn't going to be able to get any slick honey by tomorrow, so I stuck a little redrum in there. We'll see what happens.

adamantane

Chimp
Apr 15, 2006
you can get a 1lb of mobil 1 syn grease witch is the same thing as slick honey for the what 1oz cost.

$4.90 at autozone
are you sure about this, have you compared the two side by side? i've never seen slick honey but i've got prep m and it has the consistency that i've never seen from any lubricant from any chain auto store

if it's true, that is a huge money saver...got a pic??

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
While you are correct that most if not all 'brand name' greases are just a re-packaged product from a major petrolium co. You are very wrong about these two products.
see here http://www.peterverdonedesigns.com/bicycle.htm

Mobill 1 synth is a NLGI #2 GC - LB grease (thick) designed for auto bearings and joints and it is red in color. This would be a good grease for things like bolts, pivot bearings, headsets and bbs. Essentially anything that turns slowly.

Slick honey is clear/honey color and is a MUCH thinner viscosity grease, most likely a NLGI #1 or #0 grease. This grease is designed for smaller bearings that rotate faster (hubs) or other places that a THIN grease is required like o-rings and seals.

Mobil may make a grease similar to slick honey, but it is not available at the local auto store.

EM-EFER

Monkey
May 29, 2007
Sorry to dig up a thread.. but there is a little misinformation in here. Slick honey/Judy Butter is a silicone based grease.

Silicone grease is waterproof, great for perserving seals and high resistance to heat .