Quantcast

Suspension Setup

Starvin

Chimp
Aug 8, 2007
Roads & Islands
I'm not sure this is a decent enough topic for tech, so i'll post here. Correct me if I am wrong.

So i'm a noob, and I have an 05' Trek Session 77 with the stock Sherman Breakout (7") and Swinger 4 way rear. I bought it used, and to my knowledge the susp has never been touched. The original owner was 170lbs or so.

My fat bum is 200-210 depending on the day, And I feel that i am bottoming out too easily on small drops... so i want to stiffen things up a little bit. I have only used the bike for freeride... but i plan to take it DH'ing on occasion.

Here's a few questions:

Is there a standard stiffness coil that Manitou put in their Breakouts? If so, is the OEM coil a medium stiffness?

What about the 4-way? Is there an OEM spring, and what is it rated?

What stiffness fork coil do you think is good for my weight (Manitou classifies them as Soft, Medium, Firm, XFirm, XXFirm)?

What about the 4-way? What rate would be best for me?

Where can i order ride(coil) kits for my fork, and replacement springs for my shock? Online is preferred. I was able to find the part numbers for the fork coils, but that's it.

I've tried the Manitou website, and their manuals, but none of this info is in there.

any help would be great! thanks in advance.

Spero

ass rainbow
Jul 12, 2005
Tejas
I'm a little heavier and the XFirm spring is barely enough for me in a DC Slider - it should be alright for you. Call Manitou and they might have a spring for you...if not, they might be able to point you in the right direction.

seand

Monkey
Nov 22, 2003
seattle
I'm not sure this is a decent enough topic for tech, so i'll post here. Correct me if I am wrong.

So i'm a noob, and I have an 05' Trek Session 77 with the stock Sherman Breakout (7") and Swinger 4 way rear. I bought it used, and to my knowledge the susp has never been touched. The original owner was 170lbs or so.

My fat bum is 200-210 depending on the day, And I feel that i am bottoming out too easily on small drops... so i want to stiffen things up a little bit. I have only used the bike for freeride... but i plan to take it DH'ing on occasion.
200-210, depending on the day? Do you eat full farm animals for dinner? :)

Here's a few questions:

Is there a standard stiffness coil that Manitou put in their Breakouts? If so, is the OEM coil a medium stiffness?
My guess would be a medium spring. All the manipoo forks we had in our house came stock with mediums. Any shop should be able to order you a firm or xfirm spring. You can also add heavier oil if you find a firm spring is just a tad too soft.

FWIW, I am 140-145lbs and all my 'poo forks were running firm springs.

What about the 4-way? Is there an OEM spring, and what is it rated?
your spring will have numbers on it..500x2.5, for example. So the spring weight would be 500, and the stroke would be 2.5. Measure your i2i of your shock (total length of the shock from each mounting bolt). Then sit on your bike (feet off the ground so all your weight is on the bike) and measure again (or have someone else measure for you if that is easier) to see how much travel you are using (measure your sag). If the travel being used is more than 30% (a good starting point and what quite a few freeriders use) you will need a heavier spring. Try increasing by 50-100lbs depending on how much you are sagging into the current setup.

What stiffness fork coil do you think is good for my weight (Manitou classifies them as Soft, Medium, Firm, XFirm, XXFirm)?

What about the 4-way? What rate would be best for me?
Your local shop (any shop really) should be able to order springs/coils from their distributor.

Where can i order ride(coil) kits for my fork, and replacement springs for my shock? Online is preferred. I was able to find the part numbers for the fork coils, but that's it.
Your local shop should be able to get you these without issue. You can also order online (go-ride deals with coils and are a good shop).

Best of luck!

Starvin

Chimp
Aug 8, 2007
Roads & Islands
thanks for all the tips!

and yes, i eat farm animals for breakfast! grew up on a farm!

i'll look into it and get back to you with the results!

Spero

ass rainbow
Jul 12, 2005
Tejas
Definitely medium springs come stock. I could bottom out the thing by bunny hopping. I'm 190 and now run an X-Firm in mine. Works perfectly for me. Also, de-evolve the fork (disable the SPV) - it does wonders!
Agreed here - the devolve did wonders for me. The rebound on mine still blows, but devolving it made a big difference.

Starvin

Chimp
Aug 8, 2007
Roads & Islands
does anyone know what the OEM spring rate and stroke is for a Manipoo swinger 4-way on a Session 77? It's a long shot, but the markings are rubbed off on my spring.

seand

Monkey
Nov 22, 2003
seattle
does anyone know what the OEM spring rate and stroke is for a Manipoo swinger 4-way on a Session 77? It's a long shot, but the markings are rubbed off on my spring.
This is all from memory so you may want to give Trek a call, buuuut....
A medium session 77 came stock with a 400lb spring. As far as the stroke goes I believe it is 2.5.

Starvin

Chimp
Aug 8, 2007
Roads & Islands
so i measured my usage at ride height (sitting on it, feet on the pedals) and the overall shock length (8.5") decreases about 1". Thus, if it is a 2.5" stroke shock, i am using roughly 40% of it's capacity just at ride height.

if 25-30% is recomended, what shock rate/weight do you think i need?

micahb

Monkey
Jan 6, 2006
Washington
i rode a 4-way on my dirtbag with a 500 lb spring. i weighed 190 with everything on and it sank about an inch. i would probably go 600 if you plan on hitting hard when you land. otherwise you will probably give the bumpstop a good workout.