Quantcast

Suspension Thoughts For AM-Enduro Bike?

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO
So right now I am needing to upgrade the suspension on the bike I have. The frame geometry far outpaces what the cheap Fox suspension can handle. It is a 29" and I am looking for 44 OFFSET fork and unlucky for me it has 110 Boost spacing so I am stuck with that. I am currently looking at the DVO Onyx SC and Topaz T3 as one option or a CC Helm MK II and DBAir CS. I don't think I can run a coil on the bike. Not sure I can get a high enough spring rate for my 220LBS.

I don't know how the newer Rock Shoxx stuff is durability wise. I guess that might be an option as well. What do you guys think? Do you have experience with any of these and how durable, reliable and compliant are they? Also how adjustable? I cant deal with 3-4 prefixed compression settings.....

THANKS

Electric_City

Torture wrench
Apr 14, 2007
Since you have the fork body, why not call Avy or someone who tunes. I know Craig has a hybrid conversion that should work for you.

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO
Since you have the fork body, why not call Avy or someone who tunes. I know Craig has a hybrid conversion that should work for you.

Does he do Nitride Coating on stanchions? They have some scratches on them. Though they hold air.....looks expensive as hell for an MX bike. If I extend the rear travel with the rocker I was going to up the front travel by 10mm as well the keep the angles close to stock. Maybe he can do that though.....

Carraig042

me 1st
Apr 5, 2011
East Tennessee
I have thoroughly enjoyed my Helm original. It has had a couple small hiccups, but those should be rectified on the mk2. It is much more supple but supportive than my 2018 Lyric was.

Electric_City

Torture wrench
Apr 14, 2007
Does he do Nitride Coating on stanchions? They have some scratches on them. Though they hold air.....looks expensive as hell for an MX bike. If I extend the rear travel with the rocker I was going to up the front travel by 10mm as well the keep the angles close to stock. Maybe he can do that though.....
That I don't know. Call him and see what he says.

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
What about getting a new CSU with the 44mm offset you want and an air spring with 10mm more travel? You could also have a look at the shimstack and try tuning it before changing brands. Cartridges are very easy to work on and bleed.
I don’t know what fork you have but some OEM tunes are just 3 compression shims all the same size. I would have a look before giving up on it. Unless it’s a 34 then forget what I said.

Last edited:

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO
What about getting a new CSU with the 44mm offset you want and an air spring with 10mm more travel? You could also have a look at the shimstack and try tuning it before changing brands. Cartridges are very easy to work on and bleed.
I don’t know what fork you have but some OEM tunes are just 3 compression shims all the same size. I would have a look before giving up on it. Unless it’s a 34 then forget what I said.

Didnt know I could get the crown/steer combo. Wow $485 for that. The fork is below. I was thinking selling it for $250 or so and throw that at another fork. That $500 to fix the small scratches already have me 3/4 of the way to a new fork. Looks like new internal are $250-$350 depending on who I go through. I could just do the internal and keep running it with the line on the stanchion.....

FOX FLOAT Rhythm 36, GRIP Damper, 44mm offset, 2-position sweep adjust, 15x110mm, tapered alloy steerer, 150mm of travel

EVIL JN

Monkey
Jul 24, 2009
Have you tried nailpolish on the stanchion? I got some burrs on my boxxer and it felt alot better and smoother afterwards. Just apply a tin coat, let it dry and then buff it out carefully.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Nitriding and dlc are for steel
And they are very thin and would not cover any surface irregularities.
No, you can get DLC done on fork stanchions, I think someone I contacted said that they removed imperfections then apply the DLC.

EDIT
From an email-
"We have sent a few Mountain bike forks across for treatment and they will

Do the prep work before they coat ..

Not sure on pricing but if you could send us some dimensions of the parts

I can find out a price for you .."

englertracing

you owe me a sandwich
Mar 5, 2012
La Verne
No, you can get DLC done on fork stanchions, I think someone I contacted said that they removed imperfections then apply the DLC.

EDIT
From an email-
"We have sent a few Mountain bike forks across for treatment and they will

Do the prep work before they coat ..

Not sure on pricing but if you could send us some dimensions of the parts

I can find out a price for you .."
Dlc is usually only 2um thick.
For metrics 0.002mm
For us 0.00008
Yeah thats four zeroes....

Precisely what surface irregularities will you be filling?

Finish in = finish out.

What are you going to use to "prep" the fork? And fill any scratches?

And although yes dlc will adhere to an anodized aluminum component, it's a really bad idea to put an extremely hard, thin, and brittle coating on something soft and flexible. The result will actually be small diamond like particles in the outer fork oil.

Call "carbon raptor dlc" and ask them about it they do alot of motorsports dlc.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Have you tried nailpolish on the stanchion? I got some burrs on my boxxer and it felt alot better and smoother afterwards. Just apply a tin coat, let it dry and then buff it out carefully.
Yeah, nailpolish usually lasts about 1 ride IME. Epoxy if you want it to actually stay there (after cleaning it).

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Dlc is usually only 2um thick.
For metrics 0.002mm
For us 0.00008
Yeah thats four zeroes....

Precisely what surface irregularities will you be filling?

Finish in = finish out.

What are you going to use to "prep" the fork? And fill any scratches?

And although yes dlc will adhere to an anodized aluminum component, it's a really bad idea to put an extremely hard, thin, and brittle coating on something soft and flexible. The result will actually be small diamond like particles in the outer fork oil.

Call "carbon raptor dlc" and ask them about it they do alot of motorsports dlc.
I'd be using hopes and prayers.
I was looking at sending a new fork but I realized that DLC can't help the cheap Grip damper so I changed fork instead of wasting more money.

So why does DLC work well on drill bits? I know they aren't aluminium but they twist under load. If something is microns thick it should be able to bend, as long as the bond strength is good, shouldn't it?

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
Didnt know I could get the crown/steer combo. Wow $485 for that. The fork is below. I was thinking selling it for $250 or so and throw that at another fork. That $500 to fix the small scratches already have me 3/4 of the way to a new fork. Looks like new internal are $250-$350 depending on who I go through. I could just do the internal and keep running it with the line on the stanchion.....

FOX FLOAT Rhythm 36, GRIP Damper, 44mm offset, 2-position sweep adjust, 15x110mm, tapered alloy steerer, 150mm of travel
Yeah, a new fork looks like a better option.

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle

This is the problem I have always run into when talking about modifying/updating suspension. Unless you're at a point where you need a professional tuner to work through your damper, it usually just ends up being more complicated way of spending the same, or potentially more money in order to achieve the same exact result.

I am continually more and more impressed with my V1 Helm. It's not perfect, the compression adjuster can move around while you're riding, and it should have a 20mm bolt-on axle because 20mm is bigger than 15mm and QR is never as good as bolt-on even if their QR system is the best out there IMHO, but those are really my only complaints. As for what it does well, smash through shit like mad, and it has much more traction while climbing stupid things than any of my previous forks due to, I believe, it's excellent LSC damping and it's suppleness reminds my of old school open-bath Marzocchi forks. It likes going fast, really likes going fast through chunky stuff, it's the first fork I've owned that I really think works coorrectly right from the factory, and it definitely outclases my DPX2 on the beck end. The V2 should be a bit better, even if they did kill the cool gunmetal grey color and ruin the graphics.

I have zero time on the DVO, or any DVO product, hoping to get a rip on a friend's DVO equipped Ripmo AF soon, so I can't draw a comparison of any sort yet.

ianjenn

Turbo Monkey
Sep 12, 2006
SLO
Okay, maybe I will talk the Cane Creek guys about a fork and see. At some point, I wouldn't mind modding a fork. I would just prefer it has an actual 20mm axle. Maybe we will go back that way in next years standard flip.....

THANKS

Last edited:

englertracing

you owe me a sandwich
Mar 5, 2012
La Verne
Okay, maybe I will talk the Cane Creek guys about a fork and see. At some point, I wouldn't mind modding a fork. I would just prefer it has an actual 20mm axle. Maybe we will go back that way in next years standard flip.....

THANKS
so buy the newest fox 36 with a 20mm axle
the fox rc2 cartridge is my personal favorite
you can do a lot of things with the spring side.........
push and vorsprung coil conversions. if you can scavenge parts a stock coil conversion
for air you could do vorsprung luftkape, or Mrp fulfill.

oopppps forgot your 29
never mind.....

4xBoy

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2006
Minneapolis
I have a helm works, only 130mm, but I really like it.

Interesting that they don't have it anymore, now worried maybe the crown isn't so solid.