Quantcast

suspension tuning

mrgto

Monkey
Aug 4, 2009
Has anyone used mtbsuspensionexperts.com out of Ashville? I am about to get my rear shock tuned and was looking at a few different companys for the job. Push is obviously one of the companies that i am looking at, but these guys are not too far away from me and i kinda like giving business to a local place.Thanks for any feedback

ultraNoob

Yoshinoya Destroyer
Jan 20, 2007
Hills of Paradise
It's worth a shot. Let us know how it turns out.

Question though... why do you need a 2010 rp23 tuned? Is it leaking or have you been punishing it?

mrgto

Monkey
Aug 4, 2009
I weigh 225lbs and i have to pump it up to 290psi to get close to the correct sag and even then it blows thru the first part of the travel on tame rides. I am thinking i need a coil shock, just trying to see if i can get this RP23 to work.

ultraNoob

Yoshinoya Destroyer
Jan 20, 2007
Hills of Paradise
Doesn't the RP23 max at 300psi? My thinking is that even tuning (new seals, thicker oil, etc) may be insufficient. I'm a big boy too. The float R on my DB mission is gettin worked like a 2 bit whore, but I don't have enough clearance to run a coil. You on the other hand do have room for a coil shock.

I used to own a Nicolai Mpire. Awesome bike. I was running a Manitou Evolver ISX6 air shock on it and the suspension worked great even though I could bottom out the shock at will. Pedaled like a marshmellow. Switched to a Manitou Revox coil shock and the bike pedaled great and still soaked up every bump.

Moral of the story, even though air shocks are nice and all, big boys need coil shocks.

mrgto

Monkey
Aug 4, 2009
Thats what i was thinking. Just trying to make the bike work as is since it has a brand new shock on it.

Anybody want a 2010 RP23 7.875 x 2? I might know where one is for sale!

bjorn

Chimp
Nov 10, 2008
If you're looking for a replacement and don't need pedal-platform so much, the Marz Roco TST and WC Air shocks have huge air cans. I had a demo of a fox dhx air 5 on my bike and it required like 270 psi to get 30% sag ( 2.95:1 ratio, 230# rider at the time ). The Roco TST Air only needed 165-170 psi for same sag.