Quantcast

Suzuki 650 Thread

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Considering getting a first motorcycle...

Anyone have an opinion on which Suzuki 650 twin would be best... the SVS, the naked SV, or the V-strom 650? I'd be looking to get a used one, and would be riding fairly relaxed...might put hard bags on any of the models. I have a feeling it'd just come down to the ergonomics of them, so I should just probably go and sit on some in a dealer's. However, I'm overseas for a few more weeks, and am daydreaming, so humor me.

Also considering just getting a $1k beater of some kind (dual sport, old UJM of some sort) and putting some miles on it first, just to see if I end up actually riding it a lot before I blow cash on a nicer ride.

MD

moff_quigley

Why don't you have a seat over there?
Jan 27, 2005
Poseurville
Also considering just getting a $1k beater of some kind (dual sport, old UJM of some sort) and putting some miles on it first, just to see if I end up actually riding it a lot before I blow cash on a nicer ride.

MD
There's your answer right there.

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
yeah, yeah, but I'm sitting in an office in a ****ty country somewhere overseas, so I gotta dream of procuring nice consumer goods in the homeland. Imported, of course.

But you are indeed right. Alas, alack.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I have a SV650S. I was torn between the S version and the naked. I hate getting beat up by turbulence from other vehicles that happens on screenless bikes but prefer the more relaxed riding position of the naked bike. In the end I went for the S as aftermarket wind screens were more expensive than a new set of riser bars and generally look stupid.

I also considered the V-Strom but it just felt too heavy.

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Does the flyscreen on the newer naked bikes (or an aftermarket flyscreen) do anything, or is it pretty much cosmetic? I imagine it doesn't help with other vehicles' turbulence at all, but does it help with the general airflow?

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
daydream away!

But wanted to emphasize that... not only is how much you ride a factor, but if this is your first bike, you're almost guaranteed to drop it. Hopefully not from a crash, but you'll probably misjudge the weight and drop it while standing still in a parking lot. Sucks scratching up the bike you plan to keep for a while.

Isn't the v-strom a really nice dual-sport bike? Dual, as in, both sporty and cruiser. I think I rode one once and liked being able to lean on the tank through the curves and lean back when I wanted.

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
daydream away!

But wanted to emphasize that... not only is how much you ride a factor, but if this is your first bike, you're almost guaranteed to drop it. Hopefully not from a crash, but you'll probably misjudge the weight and drop it while standing still in a parking lot. Sucks scratching up the bike you plan to keep for a while.

Isn't the v-strom a really nice dual-sport bike? Dual, as in, both sporty and cruiser. I think I rode one once and liked being able to lean on the tank through the curves and lean back when I wanted.
Yeah, that's one of the reasons I was looking at some kind of dual-sport...plastic is tough, just gets 'character' when damaged, and is cheap to replace. Then again, a few dents on an ugly old UJM don't much matter, either.

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
V-Strom is a lot more comfortable than the others. At least the 2004is. If you plan to get off the beaten path its definately better there as well. The extra weight is noticible if you have riden both bikes but if you haven't I'm not sure you'd know the difference. The Strom is better in traffic due to the regearing and it gets more low end punch but as such the top end is muted.

How much experience do you have with motorcycles?

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Does the flyscreen on the newer naked bikes (or an aftermarket flyscreen) do anything, or is it pretty much cosmetic? I imagine it doesn't help with other vehicles' turbulence at all, but does it help with the general airflow?
It is fairly functional. My head is still gets the full windforce but the upward redirection or air seems to provide consistant smooth airflow. One of my neighbors who rides a lot more that I do has the naked SV and he purchased an aftermarket windscreen soon after getting the bike. It is probably does a better job than the stock one. If this is your first bike a naked one might be cheaper in the long run in case you drop it in a parking lot.

Honestly if you are going for a used bike I would just get whichever one you can find the best deal on, unless the used SV market is much better than I found here.

Dirt rider

Pro Rider
Nov 18, 2001
redneck wasteland
Im currently looking for a used SV650s

heres what I found out.
the SV650 came out in 99 with twin 39mm mukuni carbs making a claimed 70hp. this wasnt too bad a thing as suzuki had not yet worked out all the bugs in thier fuel injection system which one one of the issues that hurt the SV's predicessor the TL1000

in the 2003 model year the sv650 got major upgrades with a new frame design, fuel injection, and a new LCD insterment panel (but keeps an anolog Tach :D )

heres a cool site I found. It has almost every Suzuki bike built since 1952 and has tons of info on the SV and V-srtom
http://www.suzukicycles.org/index.html

Ive been told the bikes with fuel injection are far better than the older carb models particulary if your in a cold or hilly area.

the V strom has the same motor with a heavier flywheel and is tuned for more lowend /midrange power.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
No suzuki's on this site, but if it is a first bike, buy an old one and remove anything that isn't necessary.

benjies cafe racer

Click on bcr originals..

dfinn

Turbo Monkey
Jul 24, 2003
SL, UT
my first bike was a '05 sv-650s. pretty easy bike to get started on but I guess I had quite a bit of dirt bike experience to help me out with the basics.

bigshred

Monkey
Feb 6, 2004
Bellingham
Whatever you do get frame sliders. Both sets (engine and swingarm) will go along way in saving you Dollhairs when you lay it down or it gets backed into in the parking lot

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
I finally checked out that cafe racer site. Kicks ass...I've always loved 60s/70s cafe bikes from an aesthetic point of view, and was looking at a few old CB750s for a cheap bike. (What my dad used to ride...I have a few fond memories from childhood of riding on the gas tank in front of him when I was 2/3 years old...)

Only problem I could see with buying one, then gradually restoring/rebuilding it (I know jack-all about moto mechanics, but am eager to learn) into a cafe racer is that an actual cafe bike doesn't make a great ride outside the city limits, I'd think...it turns into a fashion statement more than a mode of transport... Still, those things are beautiful...really, really beautiful...

4xBoy

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2006
Minneapolis
I finally checked out that cafe racer site. Kicks ass...I've always loved 60s/70s cafe bikes from an aesthetic point of view, and was looking at a few old CB750s for a cheap bike. (What my dad used to ride...I have a few fond memories from childhood of riding on the gas tank in front of him when I was 2/3 years old...)

Only problem I could see with buying one, then gradually restoring/rebuilding it (I know jack-all about moto mechanics, but am eager to learn) into a cafe racer is that an actual cafe bike doesn't make a great ride outside the city limits, I'd think...it turns into a fashion statement more than a mode of transport... Still, those things are beautiful...really, really beautiful...
Time and money builds a good cafe.

Buy a SV and streetfighter it or leave it alone and have fun with it.

fluff

Monkey Turbo
Sep 8, 2001
Feeling the lag

I dunno - in my experience cafe-racers are better outside of towns. A lot of weight on your wrists in town, the windblast at higher speeds compensates and with the low bars you're out of a lot of the windblast - I've done 500 mile days on a cafe-racer without problems.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
I think these are yamaha sd400's

I had a line on two Kawasaki 350's but my older brother wheeled and dealed and snatched them up.

moff_quigley

Why don't you have a seat over there?
Jan 27, 2005
Poseurville
There's a killer CB750 cafe on ebay right now. Built by motocafe. I guess the guy bought it back in November and was expecting a 30 year old bike to be trouble free. If I had the cash I'd buy it myself.

Link: Honda CB750 Auction

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
My neighbor uses a '75 CB 750 for daily transportation. It is in great shape but he still has to spend an hour working on it for every two riding.

Red Rabbit

Picky Pooper
Jan 27, 2007
Colorado
I love my Kawasaki 250 Ninja (500$), I fill it up once a every 2 months and drive it daily to school. (Dorms are a half mile away & I don't want my bikes to get jacked) I have layed it down twice and parts to fix it were very cheap.