Quantcast

Sven Martin Injured in Whistler

May 4, 2005
stoney98 said:
hannah's were there for sven obviously
reading comprehension > you
Not sure what you are getting at Stoney my comprehension is just fine but from what I was told was that Hannah and hannah were there for someone else not Sven, aparently there were a few people broken from that day.

Any way doesn't matter hope everyone heals up well it never is much fun getting hurt

Sep 10, 2001
Sven and Anka, My best wishes go out to you two... I hope Sven has a complete recovery.

For those of you that haven't met them, Sven and Anka are definately two of the "good guys" out there... Great people for sure.

Brian

SK6

Turbo Monkey
Jul 10, 2001
Shut up and ride...
stiksandstones said:
here is what I am hearing

Sven and Anke arrived at Whistler yesterday AM. They hit the mountain park right away. On their first run, Sven crashed and broke his neck. Thankfully, he did not suffer a spinal cord injury. He is neurologically intact.
CT scan done last night after he was transferred down to Vancouver shows a compression fracture of C5, a burst fracture of C4, and an unstable, comminuted (floating pieces) fracture of C3. Plan is to proceed with fusion of C3 and C4 today.

Those fusions are serious.....

Our families thoughts and prayers go out to Sven and his family....

Heal well.

mobius

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Around DC
My thoughts are with him and his family as i had to go through it earlier this summer with my mom breaking her neck in some of the same places.

GlennG

Chimp
Mar 23, 2005
Forks, WA
I am currently healing from a neck fracture and three burst vertebrae in my upper back. I feel for ya and wish a speedy recovery. First run at a local course. These things happen and to all who say it could have been worse. I say it could have been a lot better.

Acadian

Born Again Newbie
Sep 5, 2001
Blah Blah and Blah
Brian Peterson said:
For those of you that haven't met them, Sven and Anka are definately two of the "good guys" out there... Great people for sure.
Brian
and that would be an understatement!! Get well soon brother!

DH Diva

Wonderwoman
Jun 12, 2002
I don't check ridemonkey all day and this is what I find when I get home from work.

My gut immediately got quesy when I saw the title. It's horrible that something like this has to happen to such nice people, and good ambassadors to the sport. Sven and Anka have been such a positive presence on the circuit since they first started racing.

The good thing is they are both very strong people, and thank goodness they have eachother through this. There's nothing better than a spouse who understands your sport because they do it too when you wreck yourself.

My thoughts are with them both, and I'm sending all the good vibes I possibly can.

stiksandstones

Turbo Monkey
May 21, 2002
Orange, Ca
Man, this kinda **** sucks so bad. Ratfink, I heard from Max that there might be a fund or some raffle or something?? getting together, please let us know so we can help out.

Ratfink

Monkey
Jan 29, 2002
SoCal
stiksandstones said:
Man, this kinda **** sucks so bad. Ratfink, I heard from Max that there might be a fund or some raffle or something?? getting together, please let us know so we can help out.
Hey Stik,

This kind of thing really sucks. It’s even worst when it happens to someone you know and care for very much. I’ve received several emails and phone calls today about putting together a fundraiser/raffle. I’m going to wait till after the surgery to start setting things up. Your help would be much appreciated. I keep you and Leigh in the loop on any plains regarding a fundraiser.

Cheers,
Doug Heiser

Mar 13, 2002
Boston, MA
This is just a day filled with bad news. :(

First this morning I'm told that I won't be able to ride for another 3 months due to my compressed vertebrae from April and then I hear about this. Heal well, Sven. Besides the surgery part I can relate to what he is going through.

DH Diva

Wonderwoman
Jun 12, 2002
Ratfink said:
Hey Stik,

This kind of thing really sucks. It’s even worst when it happens to someone you know and care for very much. I’ve received several emails and phone calls today about putting together a fundraiser/raffle. I’m going to wait till after the surgery to start setting things up. Your help would be much appreciated. I keep you and Leigh in the loop on any plains regarding a fundraiser.

Cheers,
Doug Heiser
I really hope they have health insurance. Medical bills can add up really fast and make life really tough. If not, I know they will have a tremendous amount of support from the community to help them out. Whatever fundraisers happen consider me in.

DylanDeanDesign

Turbo Monkey
Dec 10, 2004
San Diego area, California USA
just got off the phone w/ April. nothing really new to add....

she pretty much said what was already said in the forum. He was super depressed this morning, but crackin jokes later in the day. So i guess he's doin better (mentally). Surgery is scheduled for 7am....by the time that's over, recovery room, etc...he should be out by late afternoon/early evening hopefully.

My thoughts & prayers go out to Sven & Anka!

Keep me in the loop w/ any fundraiser as well.

DH or DIEt

Chimp
Aug 1, 2005
Dear Sven and Anka,

First I would like to say that this kind of news is never easy to hear, especially when it includes people that you admire. From the small amount of time I have spent with you two I have found you both to be strong willed and optimistic people, and that will be tested thoroughly over these months of recovery. I just want to remind you both to be strong and stay positive. After reading all of the posts in this forum I have realized that in all of your travels your personalities have touched more people than you know, including myself, and many others.

Best wishes for a full and speedy recovery,

Hollis, April, Shawn, Erika, Dan, Vanessa, Ben, Todd, and Travis
The Eugene / Salem Crew

PUSHIND

PUSH Industries (Duh)
Dec 5, 2003
Colorado
I just got off the phone with Anka and just wanted to give the heads up that both she and Sven have heard about the support that everyone is giving. It really does make a difference to them at a time like this.

As already mentioned, Sven is in really good spirits tonight and they both have a positive attitidue towards the surgery tommorow after speaking with the doctors. You'd think that Sven would be complaining about his back, but instead he's angry because he can't eat. Go figure.

Darren

warwick

Chimp
Oct 13, 2001
Squamish, BC
Damn... Sven and Anke, my heart is with you guys. I'll try and make it down to the VGH soon to visit. Second year in a row I've had to visit someone in hospital after crankworx.

Take care, be strong.

Warwick

May 24, 2002
Boulder CO
Sven will pull through, no doubts there. Best of luck on a speedy recovery. His wife may need a little extra strenght in a time like this.

I don't know why but I think this is an appropriate time to tell a story of how pinnner sven is.

Last year at the Snowmass National I finished my run and ran up the hill to say hi to my parents. We all started watching around this high speed right hand corner that is just after the corner Rennie talks about in "fundementals".

Sven came through absolulty hauling...and a bit too fast I must say. His teammate Steve was just telling me how pinner sven was and the odds of him staying on his bike were nill.

He ended up high siding at about 35-40mph, bouncing twice, his bike going into the spectators. I thought for sure he was hurt.

Sven layed there for about 20 seconds, sat up, cleared away the crowd, asked where his bike was and finished the race. I couldn't believe what I saw!

Sven is a fighter, this will only be a blip on the radar screen for him...he'll come back faster than ever.

Velocity Girl

whack-a-mole
Sep 12, 2001
Atlanta
neversummersnow said:
Sven will pull through, no doubts there. Best of luck on a speedy recovery. His wife may need a little extra strenght in a time like this.
Serious accidents like this always give you a reality check but I will say this one is an even bigger one for me because I ride so much with Freak and have even seen him go down a few times in front of me. I feel horrible for Sven, but can only imagine the agony Anka is going thru right now. It's hard to be strong for someone else when inside your just as scared, if not more so, then they are. So I'll just send more good vibes out to both of them and say that if there is a raffle/fundraiser my support will be there.

dhjill

Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
SD Cali
This totally SUCKS! :( My thoughts and prayers go out to both of them.

They are both pretty tough so I know they will come out triumphant! Heck, I remember when they had just come over from South Africa and they would camp out in the SS parking lot in a little tiny tent...back when they both raced in the beginner class! Those were the days. :)

I'll keep checking back to see if there's any more news on his condition and the fundraiser that's been mentioned.

Get well soon, Sven!!!

Ratfink

Monkey
Jan 29, 2002
SoCal
Jeremy R said:
Good Luck Sven.
Somebody in the know let us know how his surgery went.
He is one tough cat, and its horrible to hear something like this happening to him. Heal up strong big guy.
I talked with Anka for a while last night. First, she wants me to tell everyone that she and Sven really appreciate all the positive posts, emails and phone calls. They’re both overwhelmed with the outpouring of support. Sven’s surgery was scheduled to start at 7:00AM this morning. The doctors told Anka the surgery should last 4-5 hours. If everything goes as the doctors are predicting Sven could be released as soon as Sunday! Anka said she’ll give us a call when Sven’s back in his room. We should have a phone number for Sven’s room later today.

Sherpa

Basking in fail.
Jan 28, 2004
Arkansaw
neversummersnow said:

I don't know why but I think this is an appropriate time to tell a story of how pinnner sven is.

Last year at the Snowmass National I finished my run and ran up the hill to say hi to my parents. We all started watching around this high speed right hand corner that is just after the corner Rennie talks about in "fundementals".

Sven came through absolulty hauling...and a bit too fast I must say. His teammate Steve was just telling me how pinner sven was and the odds of him staying on his bike were nill.

He ended up high siding at about 35-40mph, bouncing twice, his bike going into the spectators. I thought for sure he was hurt.

Sven layed there for about 20 seconds, sat up, cleared away the crowd, asked where his bike was and finished the race. I couldn't believe what I saw!

Sven is a fighter, this will only be a blip on the radar screen for him...he'll come back faster than ever.
I was 20ft down the mountain when that happened. Sven is a pinner and a fighter.

stiksandstones

Turbo Monkey
May 21, 2002
Orange, Ca
I just heard...
"Just got word from apes, that sven got through surgery in a textbook fashion. He looks better than yesterday and is doing great. He is trying to get anka to go out riding!!!"

Keep up the good work Sven-you are a trooper!!!

PUSHIND

PUSH Industries (Duh)
Dec 5, 2003
Colorado
Yeah, just heard from Anka as well. She wanted to make sure that word was passed around and to thank everyone once again. She said she was about 5 minutes away from cracking the champagne.

So from Anka - Thank you.

DH Diva

Wonderwoman
Jun 12, 2002
It's great to hear the good news! I've been checking this thread all day hoping to hear a positive outcome! :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

Any word on any fundraising yet?

dhjill

Monkey
Feb 26, 2003
SD Cali
stiksandstones said:
I just heard...
"Just got word from apes, that sven got through surgery in a textbook fashion. He looks better than yesterday and is doing great. He is trying to get anka to go out riding!!!"

Keep up the good work Sven-you are a trooper!!!
Awesome news! :thumb:

Thanks for the update, Stik!