Quantcast

Sweet jeezus George!

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
reflux said:
None, if you don't have to pull throughout the entire break.
Then convince some Spaniard that you'll work together to stay away but then forget to take a pull. Not exactly a classy victory. I'd be a little skeered riding through a bunch of drunk and disorderly Spanish fans tomorrow.

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
Westy said:
Then convince some Spaniard that you'll work together to stay away but then forget to take a pull. Not exactly a classy victory. I'd be a little skeered riding through a bunch of drunk and disorderly Spanish fans tomorrow.
What? When did he "convince" Pereiro to work together? It wasn't like it was a big mystery what Sevilla and Hincapie were doing in the break and that they hadn't taken a single meaningful pull the whole day.

Pereiro was the one that attacked George on the final climb and couldn't make it stick. And now he is whining because George was stronger than he was and tactically he f'ed up. The fact of the matter is that George could have dumped him easily anytime after Pereiro's initial attack at 5km to go. Also Pereiro could have stopped working at anytime, they had plenty of gap on everyone else to screw around in the last 1km, if he so wanted BUT he kept dragging Hincapie along. Pereiro was screwed no matter how this played out. Short of some idiotic "sporting" gesture (which would have furthered the completely unfounded "George is too nice to win anything" attitude many folks have) Pereiro wasn't going to win that stage.

bikeguy100k

Monkey
Nov 11, 2001
Seattle, WA
No matter what, he won. Period. Pereiro attacked and George just did what was tactically sound and it's still a freakin' bike race when I checked last... Bravo George! You da man!

reflux

Turbo Monkey
Mar 18, 2002
G14 Classified
DRB said:
lots of words
Don't get me wrong, I think George played the stage perfectly according to the rules of road racing. I was referring to the original poster, who sarcastically claimed that George was on something in order to have won that race. BS, he was simply fresher than everybody else, most importantly Pereiro. It was bad form, but also human nature, of Pereiro to be angry at George (but I'm guessing he wouldn't have thought twice about doing the same if the roles were reversed).

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
DRB said:
What? When did he "convince" Pereiro to work together? It wasn't like it was a big mystery what Sevilla and Hincapie were doing in the break and that they hadn't taken a single meaningful pull the whole day.

Pereiro was the one that attacked George on the final climb and couldn't make it stick. And now he is whining because George was stronger than he was and tactically he f'ed up. The fact of the matter is that George could have dumped him easily anytime after Pereiro's initial attack at 5km to go. Also Pereiro could have stopped working at anytime, they had plenty of gap on everyone else to screw around in the last 1km, if he so wanted BUT he kept dragging Hincapie along. Pereiro was screwed no matter how this played out. Short of some idiotic "sporting" gesture (which would have furthered the completely unfounded "George is too nice to win anything" attitude many folks have) Pereiro wasn't going to win that stage.
Pereiro attacked George, George matched. George asked Pereiro to work with him so they could stay ahead. George did not really work after that, of course this is according to Pereiro. Nothing wrong with what George did, just not very classy.

mattv2099

Monkey
Aug 16, 2004
Bellingham, WA
SuspectDevice said:
How much HGH does it take for a 200lber to win a stage with 3 hc climbs!
Ole Slope took it, and it was rad.... :help:
First of all, HGH does not make anyone faster. All HGH does is help you recover quickly from grueling work outs. George is not 200 pounds. He's in the 170-175 pound range and he is 6'3" tall.

The reason George won that stage is because the break away was *allowed* to gain 18 minutes on the peloton. No one started to chase until relatively late in the day where the chasers made up 13 minutes in a relatively short period of time.

Also, George sat in all day and was the freshest rider. He has the yellow jersey on his team and has no obligation to work to make the break succeed.

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
Westy said:
Pereiro attacked George, George matched. George asked Pereiro to work with him so they could stay ahead. George did not really work after that, of course this is according to Pereiro. Nothing wrong with what George did, just not very classy.
George also said he was a little scared to pass with all the crazy fans.

Also, there is no real advantage to sitting on somebody's wheel while climbing. There might be a perceived advantage in that all you have to do is concentrate on following the wheel in front of you but you still have to climb the hill.

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Westy said:
That's not what Pereiro says (from cyclingnews) .....
"I asked him [Hincapie] to work, as we had to collaborate to battle it out in a sprint - but he didn't.
That doesn't indicate that George asked him OR even told him he would work with him.

George didn't need Pereiro to stay away from anyone at that point. If anything if George had attacked him earlier that would have snapped Pereiro's line and he certainly would have gone backwards quick, probably getting passed by Caucchioli and Boogerd.

Again if George had pulled thru and lost, he would be getting eviscerated by the press for his lack of a killer instinct, which gets hung on George far too often.

At least he didn't fall all over himself thanking Lance..... :rolleyes:

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
DRB said:
That's not what Pereiro says (from cyclingnews) ..... That doesn't indicate that George asked him OR even told him he would work with him.

George didn't need Pereiro to stay away from anyone at that point. If anything if George had attacked him earlier that would have snapped Pereiro's line and he certainly would have gone backwards quick, probably getting passed by Caucchioli and Boogerd.

Again if George had pulled thru and lost, he would be getting eviscerated by the press for his lack of a killer instinct, which gets hung on George far too often.

At least he didn't fall all over himself thanking Lance..... :rolleyes:
Velonews has Pereiro quoted that GH asked him to work together. Maybe Pereiro is just bitter and can't get his story straight, or maybo Velonews doesn't know when to properly close out quotation marks.

MTB_Rob_NC

What do I have to do to get you in this car TODAY?
Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
mattv2099 said:
He has the yellow jersey on his team and has no obligation to work to make the break succeed.
:stupid:

The announcers were even saying that it is EXPECTED that he will do no work all day long as the Yellow jersey is on his teammates back.

So :nuts: :blah:

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
When French TV was showing the attacks in the breakaway instead of showing LA, Basso and Ulrich ride together, Al Troutwig angrily proclaimed that "this has nothing to do with the Tour De France". So really big Georges win isn't even worth discussing.

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Westy said:
Velonews has Pereiro quoted that GH asked him to work together. Maybe Pereiro is just bitter and can't get his story straight, or maybo Velonews doesn't know when to properly close out quotation marks.
Ah I see where you are talking about......

Or a language issue or the fact that it was 100deg on the side of a steep as hell mountain in the middle of a screaming crowd.

Knowing the kinda guy George is I'm going to guess that George didn't say anything to indicate that he was going to do anything other than what he did.

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Westy said:
When French TV was showing the attacks in the breakaway instead of showing LA, Basso and Ulrich ride together, Al Troutwig angrily proclaimed that "this has nothing to do with the Tour De France". So really big Georges win isn't even worth discussing.
Troutwig = toolbox

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
"The Tour is becoming bigger and bigger, and things are getting a little bit out of control a few times," said Bruyneel, referring to an incident in Sunday's stage in which a television cameraman's motorcycle collided with a fan. Bruyneel said that the crowds were not only becoming dangerous, but were affecting race development as well.

In Sunday's final climb, Hincapie and Phonak's Oscar Periero were parting the crowds as they approached the finish line. "George was kind of surprised," said Bruyneel. "He felt really good and he was thinking about trying to attack on Pereiro, [but] he didn't find one place he could try to pass because there were so many people."
http://www.velonews.com/tour2005/news/articles/8544.0.html

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
DRB said:
Troutwig = toolbox
Sherwin and Ligget do such a good job I don't know why they even bother with Troutwig. Those two brits seem to be able to identify any rider in the field seemingly by their riding position, impressive.

mattover

Chimp
Jul 10, 2005
Australia
Westy said:
Sherwin and Ligget do such a good job I don't know why they even bother with Troutwig. Those two brits seem to be able to identify any rider in the field seemingly by their riding position, impressive.
I agree that they do a fantastic job at identifying most riders immediately, but they certainly do make a few mistakes. Especially Phil getting his words mixed up. Who could forget the classic line during the first descent into the Pyrenees, where Phil said, "they're now travelling at a speed that could get them a parking fine"?

And a couple of stages earlier, they were looking for the Australian rider that was sitting around 15th... He was clearly in shot four or five times while they were discussing if they could find him. I could identify him from my lounge room and I don't have the six simultaneous camera feeds to help me see what's going on.

"Oh, is Cadel Evans in the middle of that pack? I can't see him in there; possibly he got left behind on that last break... Oh, that could be him in the middle... Or is that him back at the head of the peleton?"

matt o

mattover

Chimp
Jul 10, 2005
Australia
indieboy said:
get your fat ass in shape the right way; fast times training systems!!!
Hahaha, you've got a modified Burger King logo for your avatar, and your sig spruiks "training systems".

I'm no nutritionist, but it seems there's a bit of a conflict there. :)

matt o

mattv2099

Monkey
Aug 16, 2004
Bellingham, WA
Westy said:
Brown-Troutwig is there to offer a perspective that noobs can identify with...

Which is why I watch t3h morning live coverage... No Brown-Troutwig allowed during live coverage.

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
mattover said:
I agree that they do a fantastic job at identifying most riders immediately, but they certainly do make a few mistakes. Especially Phil getting his words mixed up. Who could forget the classic line during the first descent into the Pyrenees, where Phil said, "they're now travelling at a speed that could get them a parking fine"?

And a couple of stages earlier, they were looking for the Australian rider that was sitting around 15th... He was clearly in shot four or five times while they were discussing if they could find him. I could identify him from my lounge room and I don't have the six simultaneous camera feeds to help me see what's going on.

"Oh, is Cadel Evans in the middle of that pack? I can't see him in there; possibly he got left behind on that last break... Oh, that could be him in the middle... Or is that him back at the head of the peleton?"

matt o
When was it that Chechu was leading away and Phil can't remember who it is and just says "Ah it doesn't matter anyway...."

I about fell off the couch.

PonySoldier

Monkey
May 5, 2004
Woodland Park Colorado
Westy said:
I beleive he also refered to the Basque fans as "Spanish" :nope:

Reactor

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2005
Chandler, AZ, USA
Wumpus said:
George also said he was a little scared to pass with all the crazy fans.

Also, there is no real advantage to sitting on somebody's wheel while climbing. There might be a perceived advantage in that all you have to do is concentrate on following the wheel in front of you but you still have to climb the hill.
Very true. Being in back when the leader is doing 6-10 mph just isn't getting you much. Piero is just a baby, he knew he couldn't beat George straight up.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
I read this in Velonews:
With 4km remaining, Hincapie and Pereiro exchanged some words of agreement to work to stay away, but the plan seemed to change in the final kilometer as the American declined to take any pulls. When Hincapie punched the accelerator in the final 300 meters, Pereiro couldn't respond.
In the last kilometer, anything goes. And I would take Hincapie in a sprint over any climber, so it was wise for Pereiro to try to drop him in the last climb, not make agreements.

As for working in the big break, Hincapie was covering the break for Lance, and only by the second climb was he free to ride his own race. Did he sit in? Probably. Was that wrong? Well, not according to Johan Bruyneel.

But sitting in on a stage with 1 Cat 2 climb, 3 Cat 1's, and a HC finish? Everyone had to work to get to the end.

As for the strongest rider not always winning? That's right: it is the strongest and smartest rider (and sometime luckiest) that wins, and that was definitely Hincapie.

A great victory!

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Reactor said:
Very true. Being in back when the leader is doing 6-10 mph just isn't getting you much. Piero is just a baby, he knew he couldn't beat George straight up.
These guys are climbing faster than that, typically 12-16 mph. Think of this way, most of these guys are using 23 tooth cogs even on the gnarliest stages, and a 39/23 at 90rpm is 12 mph. Even a 39/25 is 11 mph. Yes, these guys are superhuman.

Pacing on climbs is not about fighting the wind, but keeping the pace aerobic, not anerobic. If the riders can keep a hard but steady pace, they can avoid going anerobic and building lactic acid. But if there are many attacks, then going anerobic is unavoidable.

Working together is the key to keep this steady pace.

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Westy said:
From cyclingnews...
http://www.cyclingnews.com/road/2005/tour05/news/?id=/news/2005/jul05/jul19news3

The stage winner, meanwhile, said that his lack of participation was due to the narrow path the frenzied crowd left the struggling riders. "I told Pereiro we needed to work together to go away, but you couldn't even go past him there was so many people, there was no room to go. So I just stayed behind him
<snip>
In the end, it seems as though Pereiro was the victim of strategic advantage, intelligent calculation and unfavourable conditions. Unfortunately for him, these 'road chess' parameters are as much part of bicycle racing as the will to succeed and the strength of your legs - making one cheer, and the other sad.

indieboy

Want fries with that?
Jan 4, 2002
atlanta
mattover said:
Hahaha, you've got a modified Burger King logo for your avatar, and your sig spruiks "training systems".

I'm no nutritionist, but it seems there's a bit of a conflict there. :)

matt o

it was done as a joke against me. when i joined this site i was like 16 or 17 and they used to tell me to get a job at burger king.

mattv2099

Monkey
Aug 16, 2004
Bellingham, WA
sanjuro said:
These guys are climbing faster than that, typically 12-16 mph. Think of this way, most of these guys are using 23 tooth cogs even on the gnarliest stages, and a 39/23 at 90rpm is 12 mph. Even a 39/25 is 11 mph. Yes, these guys are superhuman.
I remember last year on one of the gnarliest climbs, Armstrong was spinning 90-100 rpm in his 53/23 combo. I went out on the flats and spun in that combo at those cadences and I was going 18-20 mph... Unreal.

DBR X6 RIDER

Turbo Monkey
George is on the team with the race leader. That being said, he didn't have to do a single pull for the entire breakaway. If I know this, then Pererio and any other rider in that breakaway should know this as well.

The entire story behind it being the 10th anniversary of Fabio Casartelli's death on a stage that featured the mountain that he died on, same stage number, having Casartelli's wife and child there, the fact that Hincapie was left off the team in place of Casartelli AND the fact that he's been there for every tour victory is just freaking amazing. It's only proper that he be the one rider from any of their squads to win a stage aside from Lance. You can't script that kind of stuff. The only thing that could top that for his career is standing on the top step on the podium at Paris-Roubaix.

How about the fan that got full ownage from the motorcycle??? I almost felt sorry for the dumbass, but some people need to learn the hard way.

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
Westy said:

Funny. Pereiro didn't do a lick of work in the last 5K today. They all just sat on Cadel's wheel until the final sprint. Hmmmmmm.

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
DOOD, I win troll of the month, for sure! 3 pages from like 9 words.

Hincapie rules and has pretty much been one of my biggest heros since like the age of 12. I actually did shed a tear when I read the report from the stage. Doesn't change the fact the him, his whole team (including his despicable right-wing slime-ball of a boss), and the rest of the "top club" teams are dirtier than a burger king bathroom.

Fabio's death was on my mind when I realized that Georgie won the stage as well. 'twas a rad one...

Reactor

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2005
Chandler, AZ, USA
Wumpus said:
Funny. Pereiro didn't do a lick of work in the last 5K today. They all just sat on Cadel's wheel until the final sprint. Hmmmmmm.

Sounds like he got schooled in how to road race, and actually learned something. I bet you won't hear him complaining tonight.