Quantcast

Swinger 4 way to Roco first impressions.

skatetokil

Turbo Monkey
Jan 2, 2005
DC/Bluemont VA
Hey all,

Just swapped in a Roco on my Kumicho and I figured I'd share some observations and hit up the peanut gallery for tuning tips. I know I haven't really gotten it dialed yet, but I've got it into the acceptable area where it doesnt buck dive or bottom so I think I just need some minor tweeks as the season gets underway. Just wondering in particular how you all set up your compression for dh racing. I've never had that adjuster knob on a shock before so I'm a little unclear on what I should be going for.

As for the ride, I'm on the same spring weight as I was on the Swinger, perhaps a bit more preload but sag is where it should be. With that said, it just feels softer, more plush in back. I immediately noticed that the shock changed the lines I took through rock sections, and it's going to require some playing around to figure how to set up for sections with this on the bike. It's hard to say if I'm "faster" at this point, though I do notice better braking traction in the back and the cornering ability seems just as good so I'm optimistic.

The one think I will say is that it has already dramatically improved my jumping on the big bike. It feels much more stable coming off the lips of jumps than the swinger which always felt like it wanted to either buck me or absorb the whole jump. The roco has a nice natural pop that seems to match the boxxer up front and result in a more controlled and much longer flight. In rough stuff, I can already tell that the ability to pop up and out of trouble off smaller features will be valuable. I always kinda felt like the bike bogged down in rocks, almost like it was too heavy for me to muscle free. Now pumping through those sections is much easier. Anyway, let me know how you have yours set up on this or similar frames.

Um, which shock is it you're running? TST or straight WC? I've got a TST on my 6.6 and it's leaps and bounds better than the DHX-Air I had on there. Just had to make sure I had the right spring rate and preload, running 200# in the bottom out chamber and adjust the TST as needed. Full off for the way down and full on for any climbing. My only complaint is there doesn't seem to be much in the way of rebound adjustment. :plthumbsdown:

skatetokil

Turbo Monkey
Jan 2, 2005
DC/Bluemont VA
WC.

Yeah, compared with the swinger the rebound knob doesn't do much of anything. The swinger went from unusably slow to unusably fast. The roco seems about where I need it out of the box though.

Apr 10, 2007
Did you end up going 8.75/2.75 for the Roco, or did you go with the same size as the stock swinger? I'm thinking about going with an 8.75 shock size but I'd like to hear from someone who's done it. How's the geometry, you feel it's too low/slack?

Thanks!

skatetokil

Turbo Monkey
Jan 2, 2005
DC/Bluemont VA
Yeah, I did go 8.75.

Bike feels good, but you gotta watch those pedals. Mine are kinda big and clunky and I definitely clipped em more than usual on my first run.

Thinking about swapping for something a bit lower profile for this season.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
WC.

Yeah, compared with the swinger the rebound knob doesn't do much of anything. The swinger went from unusably slow to unusably fast. The roco seems about where I need it out of the box though.
Its not just the air shocks that have a poor range of rebound adjustment. I have an '06 RC which has the same lack of range. Shock still performs fine within that range (for me at least).

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
Though some might disagree, I've always run just about as little compression as I can get away with. Go a turn or two in from full out; if you feel it blowing through the travel, moving around too much or whatever else, move a click in.

Though some might disagree, I've always run just about as little compression as I can get away with. Go a turn or two in from full out; if you feel it blowing through the travel, moving around too much or whatever else, move a click in.
Thanks for the input, but we're talking about rebound, not compression.

FWIW, I was talking to a guy in line at Sea Otter about the lack of rebound range and he said he had Zoke rebuild his and now he has a larger range of rebound adjustment. Not sure what exactly they did, but might be worth checking out.

Laaz

Monkey
Sep 26, 2005
Slovenia, Europe
Thanks for the input, but we're talking about rebound, not compression.

FWIW, I was talking to a guy in line at Sea Otter about the lack of rebound range and he said he had Zoke rebuild his and now he has a larger range of rebound adjustment. Not sure what exactly they did, but might be worth checking out.

My Rocco R was too slow in the rebound stroke. Took it to the Marzocchi tech at Maribor Wc. He redid the shims. The rebound got way faster...so that was ok..

But! Now there is no rebound adjustability and the shock bottoms like crazy. The IFP is set to 37mm, and the pressure is at 210 psi...

Looking for a new shock now...