MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
just sittin' here drinkin' scotch
Swiss Accidentally Invade Liechtenstein

By THE ASSOCIATED PRESS
Published: March 2, 2007
Filed at 8:43 a.m. ET

ZURICH, Switzerland (AP) -- What began as a routine training exercise almost ended in an embarrassing diplomatic incident after a company of Swiss soldiers got lost at night and marched into neighboring Liechtenstein.

According to Swiss daily Blick, the 170 infantry soldiers wandered 2 kilometers (1.2 miles) across an unmarked border into the tiny principality early Thursday before realizing their mistake and turning back.

A spokesman for the Swiss army confirmed the story but said that there were unlikely to be any serious repercussions for the mistaken invasion.

''We've spoken to the authorities in Liechtenstein and it's not a problem,'' Daniel Reist told The Associated Press.

Officials in Liechtenstein also played down the incident.

Interior ministry spokesman Markus Amman said nobody in Liechtenstein had even noticed the soldiers, who were carrying assault rifles but no ammunition. ''It's not like they stormed over here with attack helicopters or something,'' he said.

Liechtenstein, which has about 34,000 inhabitants and is slightly smaller than Washington DC, doesn't have an army.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
I don't understand... isn't Liechtenstein tantamount to a commonwealth of Switzerland or something?

I think they use Swiss currency and postal system. If they got invaded, wouldn't the Swiss be the first to help out?

I'm a bit surprised they don't have open borders between them. When I was there in 1994, going from Switzerland to Austria, the Liech's closed their border for a short time and it was actually faster for us to drive around the country then wait on line twice.

ska todd

Turbo Monkey
Oct 10, 2001
Liechtenstein is a dope little country. Spent an afternoon there a couple years ago after Eurobike. Their prince & princess live in a castle on a hill in Vaduz. Their capital "city" is about as big as a New England town. When we were entering we tried to get our passport stamped to prove we were there but the border guard just waved us thru and didn't seem to understand why we wanted our passport stamped. Overall, cool place that I'd like to go back to.

-ska todd