Quantcast

Switching Crossmax to 20mm axle

el_gordo

Chimp
Jun 13, 2004
DC (Da Capital)
I picked up a new pair of Mavic Crossmax XLs from an online retailer. They came with the standard QR hub ends/caps installed on the front wheel. I need to make the change to the 20mm axle caps (which is the point behind buying them), but while Mavic include pages of "how to install a UST tire" they neglected to include anything about how to make this switch.

Before I start prying away with a screw driver, what is the proper way to get these caps off?
thanks -
Gordon

tonygiant

Chimp
Jun 11, 2005
Just pop them off. Nothing will break. You can actually pop them off with your finger/fingernails at the square grooves on the adapters. Flat head screwdriver works best thought. I use to own a pair of these rims, but sold them due to the fact that the hubs are spaced 100mm, and they left a gap when I monted them to my Pike. Mavic should have designed them to be 110mm spaced. The 100mm spacing just makes the wheel off centered between the fork legs. I probably could have fixed this issue if I re-dished the wheel, but why. What I am curious though, is that Ellsworth Bike had an ad in some magazine showing their Moment set up with a Pike fork w/ the crossmax xl. Not sure if it has the wheel off centered issue though.

el_gordo

Chimp
Jun 13, 2004
DC (Da Capital)
tony --
thanks, I thought maybe that was it, just wasn't sure. I've got a Pike on the way so we'll see how it goes although I am not sure how you could be off-center like you're describing and still have the brake rotor line up???

max -- I saw the spacers in the bag o' parts, I'll make sure they get installed.

thanks

tonygiant

Chimp
Jun 11, 2005
Ahhh ... they come with spacers. Never knew that, the wheels came stock on my old Giant VT1. Would have been nice to have this information, damn LBS/Giant! The spacers were never included w/ my bike.

Not sure if you know this already. You have to purchase the spoke wrench separately. I believe they are $15. Mavic has their own special spokes. But, knowing my luck, the spoke wrench are probably included w/ your wheelset. Thats what I hate about buying complete bikes, everything is OEM and parts/instructions are sometimes left out.

el_gordo

Chimp
Jun 13, 2004
DC (Da Capital)
Yup -- spoke wrench and tool for unscrewing the hub caps both included, along with a magnet for the front wheel if I add a computer, and adapters you screw on over the presta valves to turn them in schrader valves (and stickers of course). BTW, I just threw on my first pair of tubeless tires (Specialized Enduro Bliss or something like that...). I was really please with how well and quickly they seated. Popped a side open to throw in some Stan's and they reseated in a heartbeat.