Quantcast

Switching

DHBIKERPUNK

Monkey
Oct 3, 2005
New York, Upstate
I wanted to convert my stp2 to a single speed, and i was wondering how much $$ its gonna cost me to do that, and also how i do it cuz i wanted to do it myself if possible.

ZHendo

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2006
PNW
shouldn't cost too much as long as you already have a single ring up front. take off your derrailuer and everything, and then just buy the single speed conversion kit that slides onto the hub body with the different spacers and cog, and then you should be ready to go. my guess is that it will cost you about $20-30 total.

ebrider510

Monkey
Dec 7, 2006
Bay Area, CA
shouldn't cost too much as long as you already have a single ring up front. take off your derrailuer and everything, and then just buy the single speed conversion kit that slides onto the hub body with the different spacers and cog, and then you should be ready to go. my guess is that it will cost you about $20-30 total.
that plus a chain tensioner since stp's have vertical drops (for some reason.) but, if you have a granny ring laying around you can use that as a "ghost ring" tensioner. works well if you slide it back far enough.

AirAddict

Monkey
Jun 10, 2005
Asheville, NC
In therory, it should work... but I don't think i'd trust that.

A tensioner seems like it'd be a much more reliable, stable way to put tension on your chain.

escapeartist

Turbo Monkey
Mar 21, 2004
W-S. NC
that plus a chain tensioner since stp's have vertical drops (for some reason.) but, if you have a granny ring laying around you can use that as a "ghost ring" tensioner. works well if you slide it back far enough.

Anyone else find this pic hilarious? I mean...it says "ADJUSTABLE DROPOUT SYSTEM" in a big sticker right on the seatstay.

RimJobbed

Monkey
Apr 11, 2006
Whoa, that idea never even crossed my mind. The adjustable dropout system does make it seem like a kenundrum but that's still a crazy economic method. Reminds me of the home-made chain tensioner thread I saw a while ago.

fiddy_ryder

Turbo Monkey
Jun 17, 2005
Hollywood
Anyone else find this pic hilarious? I mean...it says "ADJUSTABLE DROPOUT SYSTEM" in a big sticker right on the seatstay.

you see the multiple gears on the back right? using the ghost ring when in the talles gear allows that rider to run the wheel slammed for the shortest chainstays. then he ca switch to a diff gear and sitll run the wheel slammed. makes lots of sense to me.

ebrider510

Monkey
Dec 7, 2006
Bay Area, CA
haha, yes i know it says adjustable drop out system...but they didn't actually work unless you ran a very skinny rear tire. there was a part of the stay that came inward toward the wheel making tire clearance an issue. you could truthfully only run it slammed all the way or all the way back. and YES the ghost ring concept does work as long as your chain gets tight enough. phil sunbaum(SP?) uses one too.

escapeartist

Turbo Monkey
Mar 21, 2004
W-S. NC
Okay, good points guys. I used to ride a Dr Jekyl but I ran a max daddy 1.85 (cheap and fast) so I guess I never ran into that problem.