Quantcast

SX fork

OB1

Monkey
Simple question. What is the RIGHT fork to match my 100mm rear shock on an 09 SX? This bike will live on the 4X track. I'm 175 lb, former bmx racer, and will be sticking with amatuer. Whatcha got!

Last edited:

Bikerpunk241

Monkey
Sep 28, 2001
I would say either of the following:
Fox Float 32 RLC w/ 15mm QR axel shortened to 100mm travel
Fox Float 36 RLC w/ 20mm Axel shortened to 100mm
Rockshox Pike Dual Air shortened to 100mm travel

dexter

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2001
Boise, Idaho
if it were my bike I would run a fox float or talus 15mm or a revelation 20mm. both are light weight stiff air forks in the 80-100mm settings would be ideal

OB1

Monkey
I'm surprised at the lack of a Reba recommendation. I've heard Reba from a couple people in person. I'm glad I posted up! Why do you guys like the Fox and Revalation better? BTW, I'm not rooting for either...I really am open minded here. Thanks for the advice so far!

OB1

Monkey
.....btw, I just dropped the bomb on a set of Traversee wheels. So I'm obviously concerned about the final weight on this rig. I'll throw weight somewhere if...say...it adds a stiffness that lets me get the power down. But other wise, I'm going to leeaann toward light. If you then think,"why did he start with such a heavy frame?" The answer is, it had to be a Specialized due to team connections.

edit...I just looked up the Fox 32 and saw it's well under 4lbs. So i'm back on board w that option.

stumpjump

Monkey
Sep 14, 2007
DC
I would either go with the Fox 32 or the Fox Talas. I use my talas for 4X and couldn't love it more.

bikeit13

Chimp
Jul 31, 2006
I'm a sram fan for sure and I am going to be putting either a argyle 409 (air) or a pike air u-turn on mine once I get it. I am going to be using this for slopestyle, so for 4x you can certainly go with something lighter. I would recommend either a revelation dual air 20mm (I have this fork on my hardtail, lowered to 80mm and feels dialed) or something like the reba would be a good choice. I guess the main question is do you want to run a 20mm thru axle front wheel/fork or a QR? QR will certainly be lighter but not as stiff. It seems like plenty of people run a QR setup for 4x, so I'd prolly go that route if your just using it for 4x.
On a side note, sorry to derail, but do you know the actual frame/shock weight of the new sx? Or even the old one?

Thanks and good luck!

Andrew-

Bikerpunk241

Monkey
Sep 28, 2001
I'm surprised at the lack of a Reba recommendation. I've heard Reba from a couple people in person. I'm glad I posted up! Why do you guys like the Fox and Revalation better? BTW, I'm not rooting for either...I really am open minded here. Thanks for the advice so far!
I neglected the Reba solely for a lack of a thru-axle......

OB1

Monkey
Looks like for 2009 they're making the reba w/ a TA option.

http://www.sram.com/en/rockshox/trail/reba/#tab1

I think that's what my mechanic buddy was talking about. I dont really hear too much past the 3rd or 4th word. There's better stuff to day dream about while a techie blathers on.:nopity: Well....not YOU techies of course.:redface: So, does this put the Reba back on the map? I'd like to be able to let him order what he thinks I should if the Ridemonkey peanut gallery doesn't overrule him.:bonk:

Bikeit13- the 09 is comming in near 8lb w shock.

Last edited:

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
I have a Pike Dual air lowered to 90mm on my slalom bike. It's pretty light and rides awesome. The new revelation would be really good. It's stupid light.

OB1

Monkey
Just to cap the thread....my build is done. It sits at 28.1 lbs right now. But it's awaiting the new LG1 soon. Then she will be 27.7 lbs. More importantly, it rides well. I had a BIG problem during the first week I owned it. My pedals would hit the ground constantly. Come to find out, my shock had almost half the air needed. Now I'm having fun. Cant wait to race it.

09 SX
09 Reba Team (20 maxle, 100mm)
Fox RP23 (custom tuned 100mm)
XT cranks/bb
Traversee Wheels
Dura Ace 11-21 cassette
SDG fly seat w micro post
Sunline V1 bars/Sunline grips
Small block rubber run ust
Formula K24 brakes
Welgo mag pedals w Ti spindle
Point One Limited 50mm stem