Quantcast

SX Trail Finally done!!!!

speed racer

Monkey
Dec 22, 2004
GA
Alright, after months with no bike, it finally get here. :D But, I had to get rid of the Candy Corn Paint scheme on it. Sent it to the approved Specialized powder coater, and got it done in Silver Sparkle Metallic. It looks so much better than these pictures let on. I had to tape my Gravity dropper cable for the first ride since I didn't have a way to mount the cable under the top tube. That has been remedied since these pics. This will double as my trail/occassional DH bike.

PROS:
This thing is amazing. The cornering is the first thing that stands out in my mind. Leaning into the curve just inspires the bike to carve through the turn without much effort. It is a solid feeling bike too. Hardly any if no noise at all while riding. Very stealthy. The Cane Creek Double Barrel feels unnbelievable on this thing. The rear feels glued to the ground all the while still pedaling great for this kind of bike. Even standing up it feels like there is minimal movement. Goiing down is obviously what this bike accels at. This seems to be the general consensus from all SXT owners anyway. So no surprise here. The Fox 36 RC2 Talas feels great up front even on its first ride. The damping is WAY better than the first generation 36's. Feels much more progressive. I would love to be able to adjust the internal bottom out though. I never went through full travel during the ride. Granted, I didn't hit anything big, still should be a little closer to using all the travel than I was. I even backed out the HSC, and still reached the same travel. Verdict is out on whether or not I would like a little more travel up front though. I might look into a RS totem to try at the 180mm setting, just to give it a little more aggressive feel. But, for all around trail stuff and light DH/FR the 36 will fit the bill perfectly. So, depending on if I keep the 36, I may send it in to get the internal BO moved to medium firm instead of the stock firm setting. We'll see.

CONS:
Really the only negative that I have so far, is the cable routing is a little weird how it comes to the outside of the frame for the rear brake and rear der. I made a make shift zip tie that goes throught one of the hollow pivots and put to small zip ties with loops for the cables to run through to keep them close to the frame. It just made me feel better about not getting it caught on the crank arm. Although, I don't think that would happen, it's just a mental thing for me I guess. It seemed to work great on the first ride out. Climbing on it is what you would expect from a bike like this. It doesn't kill you but it's not an XC bike. I'm use to this type of bike and don't mind the ineffieciency in climbing so that I can enjoy all the other stuff. Like many have said, it's rider preference and a toss up. BUT, it does do a surprisingly good job climbing. I am running 2.35 single ply wire bead Maxxis High Rollers tubeless and they seem to roll well. I am thinking of trying the new Specialized Eskars. From what I hear the handle great and weight about 80g less than the Maxxis, which is where the subtraction of weight can really make a difference. But, I am looking forward to gettting more time on it. So far, I love it!!!

So, here is the build:

2008 Specialized SX Trail - Custom powdercoat Silver Sparkle Metallic
Cane Creek Double Barrel 350# RCS Ti Spring
2008 Fox 36 RC2 TALAS
Chris King Headset (Soon Cane Creek 110 on the way)
DT 5.1 Wheels laced to King 20mm frt, King Stainless steel 10mm fun bolt rear
Maxxis Highroller 2.35 Single Ply Wire Bead Tires
Hope Moto V2 Brakes, 203 floating rotors - Stainless Steel Braided Lines
Shimano XTR 170mm cranks w/32T ring only (1x9)
Shimano 959 pedals
FSA Bashguard
E13 32 Special Chainguide
SRAM PG-990 Cassette
SRAM PC-991 Hollow Pin Chain
SRAM X9 R. Der. Short Cage
SRAM XO right Shifter
Sunline Handlebars 28" 31.8
Thomson X4 50mm - 0 rise 31.8 stem
Gravity Dropper 4", 2" drop with remote
WTB Laser V Ti rails Saddle
ODI Ruffian Lock On Grips

Total weight: 34.5 lbs

Attachments

SDH Racing

Monkey
Apr 5, 2006
NE
Looks good, enjoy the ride. The thing about bikes like that is you lamost hate to get em dirty or scratch them after putting so much time and bill into them.

muddy beast

Turbo Monkey
Nov 26, 2005
Damn...nice build man!

I'm intending on buying a stock '08 SX Trail II around Decemeber, I'm just going to finish my single speed build first.

All the possatives on the SX keep screaming my name!

DirtEveryDay

Turbo Monkey
Nov 24, 2003
Pacific North Wet
Coo...I actually thought about stripping mine down, doing it up in the high reflective chrome PC and then slathering it in the starlight sparkle clear. Ride the diamond! But that would take away my stealthy dirt-ninja trailbuilder status and I'd be in jail and then you'd see my SX rollin round the hood with ape hangers and whitewalls after the police auction...

speed racer

Monkey
Dec 22, 2004
GA
well, after the 2nd ride the conclusion is I want the totem. I like a little slacker geometry. The 36 feels amazing, it's just a little too short for my taste. So, anyme want a killer deal on an 08 36RC2 Talas? $875?

CKxx

Monkey
Apr 10, 2006
I came to the same conclusion, but decided to ride out the 36 (Van RC2) a little longer. It has very much grown on me, and I think that half of the bikes fun is the geo is has with the 36-sized fork. More slack and it may make it a little slow to turn.

How much do you weigh, what do you ride, and what setting are you running on the CCDB? I'm curious for comparison.

speed racer

Monkey
Dec 22, 2004
GA
I came to the same conclusion, but decided to ride out the 36 (Van RC2) a little longer. It has very much grown on me, and I think that half of the bikes fun is the geo is has with the 36-sized fork. More slack and it may make it a little slow to turn.

How much do you weigh, what do you ride, and what setting are you running on the CCDB? I'm curious for comparison.
I weigh 182, ride mostly aggro XC trails, but do a decent amount of shuttling that includes steep fast singletrack. Occasional DH. I have the LSC backed all the way out from stock, LSR sped up by 3 clicks, HSC and HSR stock. Feels great so far. I still am going to go for the Totem. I was torn between the two when I got it, but went for the Fox, but know now I should have went with my gut. So, it is for sale. I like that slacker feel personally. To each his own I guess.

Slater

Monkey
Oct 10, 2007
Good looking SX.

The Totem will slacken it out quite a bit. Perfectly imo. I put a 66 rc2x on mine (same axle to crown as totem) and it made it a whole new bike. It definately made high speed bombing more confident. You'll like the geo with the totem.

ZHendo

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2006
PNW
mine is coming (in the candy corn scheme) next week!! super stoked, but i think i want to get it painted eventually. my plan is to ride with the current paint for about a year, and then get myself re-stoked on the bike by getting a new paint job, likely dark red, yum. i'm riding it with a manitou travis triple 180 for now, but good to hear that you like the fox with it because that's what i'm going to buy after christmas i think. i'm especially excited to hear that you like it for XC, i'm going to be racing/riding DH and such, but then i have a light set of wheels that i use for all mountain-ish trail rides. i also really like that double barrel, if anyone has a comparison of the feel to the stock DHX, i'd love to hear it.

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
Yo Appling,
Sweet ride man.
I am turning my SX trail into a trail rig which I will stiill use for the small pedally DH courses next year. When setup light, that bike can be a crazy fun trail bike.
I have tried some different forks on the bike, and if you are going to be using it for mostly a trail rig, that Totem is going to get annoying on there real quick. Its got the same axle to crown as an 8 inch boxxer. It gives the bike Dh race bike geometry, which makes riding up and down the rolling hills around here a bear.
I raced it at Clemson this weekend and would have much rather had a lower fork for all the twisties.
I want to get a new 36 float for it now.
I love how snappy it feels with the stock geometry.
I would at least ride that Talas for a few more rides to see if you get used to it.

speed racer

Monkey
Dec 22, 2004
GA
Good point. The 36 feels great, but it just seems like it's a little steep for some reason. I have the low BB shock shuttle on there too. So, I'll ride it until I get an offer on it and think about it then. The feel of the TALAS is amazing though. If it were a 170mm it would be perfect.

CKxx

Monkey
Apr 10, 2006
Try a higher-rise bar first. I thought the same thing when I had a 25mm rise. Threw on a 50mm and I wouldn't trade it for anything now.

RSutton1223

Chimp
Aug 22, 2007
Good point. The 36 feels great, but it just seems like it's a little steep for some reason. I have the low BB shock shuttle on there too. So, I'll ride it until I get an offer on it and think about it then. The feel of the TALAS is amazing though. If it were a 170mm it would be perfect.
The pictures don't even do the bike justice. It is beautiful.

I agree on the 36 though. When I rode it I felt hunched over. Totem time! :banana:

Edit: After reading a couple of the posts...someone did have a great idea about trying a higher rise bar. I know you have some laying around.

MDJ

Monkey
Dec 15, 2005
San Jose, CA
That's what I keep saying but Fox isn't listening. I have a Boxxer Ride on mine so I have the adjustability - it's just heavy.

I want a Van that is adjustable 160-170-180 at the same weight as the current one - then I'd be happy.:biggrin:

speed racer

Monkey
Dec 22, 2004
GA
Nice bike Ash.
You know you just want the Totem to be like Herndon ;)
if that means i can climb up clawhammer and maxwell cove like that then yes!! JK! Actually thats one of the reasons i went with the Fox 36 so I didn't look like a copycat, but after riding it that geo suits my style. So I guess I'm a herndonite then :)