OR

Specialized Sx Trail 2007 With Fox DHX 5

cheers!

Last edited:

zebrahum

Monkey
Jun 22, 2005
SL,UT
I say stick with what you have. Unless it's really beat up use the Glory. The glory won't pedal uphill very well, if you're going to use it as an all around bike to pedal up, then I would consider the SX trail. It won't be as stable on the rough or the steep, but it's a good bike.

NoUseForAName

Monkey
Mar 26, 2008
Well, aside from the broken looking saddle on the Mongoose, the parts value of the Mongoose looks like it is close to the equal of the total cost of the SX Trail.
I just bought an SX Trail because i think they are the best AM/Pedal FR frame ever made, so i might be biased. It's a tough call even biased as i am.

Edit: If you are just buying the frame, and they both fit you well, it's no brainer. Buy the SX.

Jul 9, 2007
I have had my sx for about a year and it has been the best bike purchase I ever made. My riding has progressed unimaginably since I got it.
I can't recommend the sx enough. It is amazing.

NoUseForAName

Monkey
Mar 26, 2008
A lot of folks ran their SXs with Totems or 180mm Marzocchi 66s. The head angle gets slacker (good), but the bottom bracket height gets higher (bad). I think the SX BB is already high enough, so i would suggest sticking with the 160 fork.
Unless you can make some custom geo chips, which i think would be kind of cool.

slimshady

¡Mira, una ardilla!
The fork travel issue was brought up in a different thread a couple of months ago (if I don't recall badly). I recall someone stating that Specialized will honor the warranty of the frame up to a front suspension travel of 170mm. But, as NoUseForAName told, a lot of people here rides 66s or Totems on it.

Pashley 24Mhz

Monkey
May 2, 2005
Belgium, Europe
You can also try switching the links to make the head angle steeper or slacker, assuming got got them with the frame when you bought it.
I ran my SX with a Totem Solo Air with the links for the slacker head angle, but some guys I rode with preferred the steeper head angle links when riding a Totem. I would try both, and see what you like most.

Apr 6, 2008
Porto/Portugal
You can also try switching the links to make the head angle steeper or slacker, assuming got got them with the frame when you bought it.
I ran my SX with a Totem Solo Air with the links for the slacker head angle, but some guys I rode with preferred the steeper head angle links when riding a Totem. I would try both, and see what you like most.
No have any problem in doing this change?

I change this, but i don't ride on bike yet
http://img502.imageshack.us/img502/5003/sdc10337.jpg

thanks for help Pashley! ;)

Another question, i can put a normal DHX 5 with 222mm eye to eye on my Sx?

cheers

Last edited:
Jul 9, 2007
Another question, i can put a normal DHX 5 with 222mm eye to eye on my Sx?

cheers
Do you have both shock shuttles for the adjustable geometry?

You can put a 222mm eye to eye shock on for sure. If you have the shuttle for high bottom bracket then when you put the 222mm shock on, it will have about the same geometry as if you had the stock shock and the low bb shuttle.
However, I run a 222mm shock with the low bb shuttle and love it. Gives me a nice low bb height around 13.5" and a nice slack head angle at around 65 degrees with my 180mm 66sl1. I really like this setup because it makes the bike handle like a full on DH rig so it basically becomes a mini DH bike.
If you have a 222mm length shock lying around I suggest giving it a shot.

Apr 6, 2008
Porto/Portugal
Do you have both shock shuttles for the adjustable geometry?

You can put a 222mm eye to eye shock on for sure. If you have the shuttle for high bottom bracket then when you put the 222mm shock on, it will have about the same geometry as if you had the stock shock and the low bb shuttle.
However, I run a 222mm shock with the low bb shuttle and love it. Gives me a nice low bb height around 13.5" and a nice slack head angle at around 65 degrees with my 180mm 66sl1. I really like this setup because it makes the bike handle like a full on DH rig so it basically becomes a mini DH bike.
If you have a 222mm length shock lying around I suggest giving it a shot.
I only have this shock shuttles...i am thinking put a dhx5 with 215mm eye to eye :think:

cheers and thanks for help!

Jul 9, 2007
I only have this shock shuttles...i am thinking put a dhx5 with 215mm eye to eye :think:

cheers and thanks for help!
Do you know if the shuttle you have is for high or low bb?
If it is for the low bb, then I'm not sure I'd go with the 215mm shock because that will be really low. Like 13" bb. I haven't heard of anyone doing that setup so I'd be careful to cycle the shock through its full range before taking it for a ride and make sure there are no contact issues. If you have the high bb shuttle now, then it would result in a geometry similar to what I have on my bike now (though your fork is 20mm shorter so yours would be slightly steeper) which I would highly recommend because I love the way my bike handles in its current setup.
Also a 215mm shock is probably going to be 63.5mm stroke which will reduce the travel of your bike to 150mm rather than the standard 170mm.

quickneonrt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 8, 2003
Staten Island NY
i have owned an sxt 07 from sept 06 when it first came out. Rode it for a season with a 66 rc2x 170mm. then switched to am 08 66 rc3x 180mm. Always ran it with the slack ht and lower bb shuttle. I love the bike. tried it at the high bb for a bit but went to the lower bb and would never go back. in my opinion the fox 160mm is to short up front with the rear being 170mm.

carseatcivic

Chimp
Dec 27, 2006
armpit of America
That pic is an sx with an air dhx. The sx and sx trail are completely different frames. Although they look the same the sx is a 4X frame. It does have less travel and is shorter.
If you do swap your shock, you'll have to be very selective. Not sure what will fit and what won't, but I do know that the dhx's that come oem on the sx trail doesn't have the valve for the bottom out. A regular dhx with the valve will hit the frame.