Quantcast

SX Trail Pedal Bob?

slothy

Monkey
Sep 21, 2007
Ireland
Hi,
IM thinking of getting an SX trail or a Scott Ransom, kinda prefer the SX trail think it would suit me but just wondering can I cycle down the road on it or does it pedal bob all over the place (I have a big hit)

Thanks

pdawg

Monkey
Feb 27, 2006
Espoo, Finland
Hi,
IM thinking of getting an SX trail or a Scott Ransom, kinda prefer the SX trail think it would suit me but just wondering can I cycle down the road on it or does it pedal bob all over the place (I have a big hit)

Thanks
Cylcle down the road???? I suppose you could swap the tires out for some skinnies, crank up the prodal, and slap on some bar ends. Maybe then it will pedal OK. :monkeydance:

Seriously though, I would say the SX Trail pedals a bit better than the big hit but not quite as well as the Ransom. Keep in mind that the SX Trail runs a few pounds heavier than the Ransom and is meant for going downhill more than uphill.

slothy

Monkey
Sep 21, 2007
Ireland
Cylcle down the road???? I suppose you could swap the tires out for some skinnies, crank up the prodal, and slap on some bar ends. Maybe then it will pedal OK. :monkeydance:

heh! bar ends... mm purple anodised ones! :lighten:..

Yeah, I just don't want to have loads of bikes. I don't want a dedicated xc bike, cos I rarely do xc stuff... but would like to be able to pedal a bit on trails..
also I'm about 215-220 pounds. so worried about the ransom 40 with air shockson rear, and the all mountain fork has only 140 cms travel. Can I change that..... to a 160 or 180?

TWeerts

Monkey
Jan 7, 2007
The Area Bay
i just got an sx trail frame. it does bob when set up for downhill, but if you crank up the propedal, it pedals really well. it surprized me, at least.

El Gordo

Monkey
Aug 15, 2007
Vernon, NJ
The SX is gonna bob some , but like everyone is saying you just have to dial the DHX in, I had pedal bob on my bike started plaing with the propedal and it helped alot and I have had the DHX all year still havent figured out how to dial it in perfectly you know

pdawg

Monkey
Feb 27, 2006
Espoo, Finland
Somehow I thought the Ransom was built around a 160mm fork, Talas or Lyrik. Also, having a proprietary air shock does not inspire confidence, IMHO. I always like to have a spare... don't think the Equalizer is very cheap.

Don't get me wrong, the SX trail can pedal it just isn't the bike's strong point. With that said, I have seen a few people build their SXT around 33 pounds or so (with coil shock) and running the high BB mode shuttle to steepen the head angle.

Spokompton

Monkey
May 15, 2005
Spokane WA
An Iron Horse 6 point or a Giant Reign X1 would be better choices than the SXT for pedaling.

The 6 Point doesn't have the good slack geo of the SXT and X1 though.

Arkayne

I come bearing GIFs
May 10, 2005
SoCal
I commute to work 20 miles round-trip twice a week on my SXT. I crank the propedal to max and bobbing is minimal.

ZHendo

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2006
PNW
the sx pedals very well. it may bob a little bit more than my old Yeti ASX, but it more than makes up for it in its uphill handling. the bike stays very well poised and doesn't wheelie at all, at least in my experience, so it can be cranked to the top of some ridiculous hills. use the propedal on your more xc-ish rides, and if you go ride some gnarlier stuff, just back it off a little. also, if bobbing is a problem for you, it will make you pedal smoother circles because you'll try and minimize bobbing.

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
heh! bar ends... mm purple anodised ones! :lighten:..

Yeah, I just don't want to have loads of bikes. I don't want a dedicated xc bike, cos I rarely do xc stuff... but would like to be able to pedal a bit on trails..
also I'm about 215-220 pounds. so worried about the ransom 40 with air shockson rear, and the all mountain fork has only 140 cms travel. Can I change that..... to a 160 or 180?
The Ransom has a 160mm fork unless you have the first year and they were 160mm. Scott makes spacers for the underside of the head tube if you want. The bb is low so you can lift the front a little. The Equalizer can handle a beating but if you are too scared then put on a 190mm DHX air and big tires like this.

and then do this....

SXT's are cool too.