Quantcast

SX Trail questions

adam12

Chimp
Mar 8, 2007
Carson City
1. Has anyone mounted a Manitou Swinger 6 way on an '05 SX Trail?...any other year? I have seen where people are mounting DHX's on the '05...would the Swinger be a good alternative?

2. Has anyone weighed the wheelset off of an '07 SX Trail III? Are the specialized hubs any good...who makes them?

thanks for the time!

adam

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
1. Has anyone mounted a Manitou Swinger 6 way on an '05 SX Trail?...any other year? I have seen where people are mounting DHX's on the '05...would the Swinger be a good alternative?

2. Has anyone weighed the wheelset off of an '07 SX Trail III? Are the specialized hubs any good...who makes them?

thanks for the time!

adam
I have not seen a 6 way on one.
The shock for the SX trail is a custom size, so the shocks are not easy to find.
I have a new 07 DHX that I have for sale that just came off an 07 SX trail frame if anyone needs one.
Good Luck.

adam12

Chimp
Mar 8, 2007
Carson City
thanks for the reply...I have a new 07 SX trail that is one ride old...but my friend has an 05...he rode mine and realized that the shock on his bike is junk. So i guess what he needs is a DHX in the 8.75 x 2.75 config...seems like most people are moving from the 2.5 stroke to the 2.75 with minimal problems. If I remember correctly the 07 SX trail shock is a 9.0 x 2.75...which doesnt quite work on the 05 frame.

PepperJester

Monkey
Jul 9, 2004
Wolfville NS
I can't comment on the 07 wheel set but on my O6 Sx trail my stock rear hub had lots of drag then the hub shell split in two. I got a fresh one from warranty. The replacement is not much better its still a bit sticky. I don't trust it.

My hadley /823 should be ready to pick up today.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Specialized hubs are made in Taiwan, probably by Formula (not the brakes).

The hubs are not Chris King or DT, but should hold up for a couple of seasons. The wheels, built by a machine in Taiwan, are also lousy quality.

Wonder why Specialized uses Taiwanese hubs? If you want to tack on $900 for a handbuilt set of Mavic 729/DT 440's, send me a pm.

adam12

Chimp
Mar 8, 2007
Carson City
thanks guys for the wheel responses...got ahold of a good quality scale last night....the '07 SX Trail wheel weight is 2160g without axles

another thing i learned was the the chunder tires that come on the bike stock are freakin heavy....1300g each....I replaced them with Roller Pro D2 Tire 2.4's (740g) and instantly saved 1120g (2.46lb)

so after changing the tires the complete bike in size large weighed in at 35.25 lbs...not too bad

btw i have a set of DT EX1750 on the way which should lighten it up another 410g (.9lb)

Thanks again

adam12

Chimp
Mar 8, 2007
Carson City
Bike is finally like I want it...34.1 lbs as it sits...went to Moab and it worked great on the Porcupine Rim Trail...climbs pretty good too...for what it is...here is a little eye candy

Beef Cake

Chimp
Apr 22, 2007
Sand box FL.
Bike is finally like I want it...34.1 lbs as it sits...went to Moab and it worked great on the Porcupine Rim Trail...climbs pretty good too...for what it is...here is a little eye candy
How the hell does yours weigh 8 lbs. less than mine ??
i got a large 06 with 600lb/ spring , 66vf , Deity cranks, deemax rear , dee trax front , Nevgal 2.5 folding , El norte bar stem post .
???
theres about 6 ppl around here with the same size just diff set up and theirs are around 38 . ? I don't see the weight gain :disgust:

quickneonrt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 8, 2003
Staten Island NY
I agree with Beef Cake, no offense but I think your scale is off. I could see 36 with the fox fork and if you are using single ply tires and reg. tubes.

How the hell does yours weigh 8 lbs. less than mine ??
i got a large 06 with 600lb/ spring , 66vf , Deity cranks, deemax rear , dee trax front , Nevgal 2.5 folding , El norte bar stem post .
???
theres about 6 ppl around here with the same size just diff set up and theirs are around 38 . ? I don't see the weight gain :disgust:

adam12

Chimp
Mar 8, 2007
Carson City
my scale is not off even 25g...i have verifeid the scale with calibrated weights

this might make you guys feel better...i weighed my friends '05 model SX trail and it comes in at 40.2 lbs competely stock

here are some of the possibilites for weight difference:

DT EX1750 wheels = 1750g
Dmax rear = 1328
Dtrax front = 1210
dif = 788g = 1.74lbs

Specialized Roller Pro D2 2.4 tires..not the chunders that came on the bike = 710g (actual weight)
Kenda Nevegal Folding = 840g
dif = 260g = .57lbs

VF = 6.12lbs without steerer...steel steer tube weighs 1.17lbs...alloy weighs 0.56lbs
Vanilla R = 5.45
thats another 1.84lbs (steel) or 1.23lbs (alloy)

other possibilites:
Mallet M pedals
X.0 shifters and rear der.
normal tubes
Deity cranks = 2.3lbs no rings
Holzfeller OCT cranks = 2.47lbs with rings and bottom bracket

so that equals (without the other possibilites)
4.15 with steel steerer
3.54 with alloy steerer

Now I will say that I am new to the freeride aspect and dont expect do do anything more than 6ft drops and have not gone too crazy jumping the bike....so i am able to run the light wheels without worrying about them. I did quite a few 4-5 ft drops in Moab with the bike setup like it is...no issues.

sorry for the long response...but just needed to show that is is possible

adam

brody

Chimp
Apr 23, 2007
Kind of off subject, but does darren berrecloth ride the SX Trail? If not what bike does he ride?

quickneonrt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 8, 2003
Staten Island NY
I think at Crank Works he was riding the regular SX with air shock. Most of his film stuff is on an SXT, Demo and p-bike as matt said.
Wonder if this year he will be pushing the demo7 or still rockin the sxt

Beef Cake

Chimp
Apr 22, 2007
Sand box FL.
The claw has every bike out from Speicalized , but in a new mag he's got a 7 .

Adam your wheels are light ! ;)
I will add some other parts of my rig
Aframe pedals
saint der. shifter xt cass.
Saint brakes ......... after yesterday a hambuger bell !

I think if mine weighed 35 i would never think about gettng rid of it .
If your rig works for you with no problems thats all that matters .
good on ya

quickneonrt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 8, 2003
Staten Island NY
mine wieghs in at 38 pounds, and i have a small frame. i put a 66RC2X on mine and its a little heavier than the original vanilla 36....but still only 38...but 35 GOD DAMN!!!
bighit I hear ya there, I can't imagine a sub 36lb sxt. Sure I could save weight w/ single ply tires and reg tubes, but Diablo rockgardens would eat up my wheelset and i would probably pinch flat every other run. I tried to save weight in other places but I'm still hovering around 38lbs

pdawg

Monkey
Feb 27, 2006
Espoo, Finland
mine wieghs in at 38 pounds, and i have a small frame. i put a 66RC2X on mine and its a little heavier than the original vanilla 36....but still only 38...but 35 GOD DAMN!!!
I also run a 66RC2X on mine, with DeeMax wheelset, Minion 2.5 UST, and DH components. It's more like 39 pounds now. The build could have easily been 33 pounds but I don't see the point if it's gonna be pointed downhill most the time.