Quantcast

Syncline & Post Canyon MUDSTRAVAGANZA November 16th !!!

rubberdown

Chimp
Apr 30, 2008
SYNCLINE IS STILL ON!!

Well grab your tear off's, a change of clothes and a few bucks for some post ride PBR's and get out with us! :beerjam::cheers:

All skill levels are invited, however some sections would be a bit tricky for neewbies.

For anybody from the portland/vancouver area or south of there looking to carpool, a massive group will be meeting at the Flying J truckstop in Troutdale just off I-84.

We will be leaving that parking lot at 7:15

We leave the base of Syncline for our first run @ 9 am.

And this just in.... We may actually have pro-tographer to capture the epic muddiness that will be!! He'll make ya famous!

Feel free to write me with any questions or keep up to date on the details in the DH/FR forum here: http://www.trailheadcycles.com/public/grouprides.htm

Last edited:
Nov 10, 2008
Hi all.

I know that riding the Syncline is a blast, and there are thousands of mountain bikers that enjoy the trails each year. That said, there are a few reasons that I would ask you to change your plans for the November 16th.

1) The forest service has been creating a management plan for the Syncline area (and Catherine Creek) for the past year. They are in the final stages of approving the plan with a formal announcement coming in late 2008 or early 2009. The current proposal calls for closure of several trails and re-routing of some others. So far, although various user groups have been vociferous in their opposition to biking at the Syncline, the forest service has been at least partly agreeable to biking. A large group of riders rampaging across the Syncline could easily jeopardize the hard work of hundreds of bike advocates. CAMBA has worked especially hard in maintaining access. Please become informed before coming out here this weekend. I have added a few sites for more information.

http://www.fs.fed.us/r6/columbia/projects/documents/Coyote_scopingletterinterestedparties.pdf

http://www.camba.info/index.php

2) The Syncline, like all areas, is pretty saturated right now. We have received a lot of rain. A large group of riders, shuttling the Courtney, can have the impact of 100's of other users. Fall-line riding and cutting of switchbacks have been substantial problems recently. Winter erosion creates significant trail problems the rest of the year, and for spring riding.

3) Don't get me wrong, as I am a downhill rider also, but the varied user groups at the Syncline don't handle downhilling well. The hikers have substantial pull with the forest service and report trail damage and/or modification religiously.

Thanks for listening. Please consider all people who really enjoy the area and are working hard to keep it open for all to enjoy. If we mess this up, it will be closed to ALL riding.

Tim

rubberdown

Chimp
Apr 30, 2008
Hi all.

I know that riding the Syncline is a blast, and there are thousands of mountain bikers that enjoy the trails each year. That said, there are a few reasons that I would ask you to change your plans for the November 16th.

1) The forest service has been creating a management plan for the Syncline area (and Catherine Creek) for the past year. They are in the final stages of approving the plan with a formal announcement coming in late 2008 or early 2009. The current proposal calls for closure of several trails and re-routing of some others. So far, although various user groups have been vociferous in their opposition to biking at the Syncline, the forest service has been at least partly agreeable to biking. A large group of riders rampaging across the Syncline could easily jeopardize the hard work of hundreds of bike advocates. CAMBA has worked especially hard in maintaining access. Please become informed before coming out here this weekend. I have added a few sites for more information.

http://www.fs.fed.us/r6/columbia/projects/documents/Coyote_scopingletterinterestedparties.pdf

2) The Syncline, like all areas, is pretty saturated right now. We have received a lot of rain. A large group of riders, shuttling the Courtney, can have the impact of 100's of other users. Fall-line riding and cutting of switchbacks have been substantial problems recently. Winter erosion creates significant trail problems the rest of the year, and for spring riding.

3) Don't get me wrong, as I am a downhill rider also, but the varied user groups at the Syncline don't handle downhilling well. The hikers have substantial pull with the forest service and report trail damage and/or modification religiously.

Thanks for listening. Please consider all people who really enjoy the area and are working hard to keep it open for all to enjoy. If we mess this up, it will be closed to ALL riding.

Tim

You know what kids, pay this no mind. This is just banter from somebody who's PERSONAL opinion is that we should not use the trail system that is Syncline.

ALL THE TRAILS ARE OPEN TO ALL THE USERS, ALL THE TIME.

SUNDAY THE 16TH IS A FULL ON RIDE DAY.

rubberdown

Chimp
Apr 30, 2008
Hi all.

Tim

Point 1) It is Syncline, not The Syncline
Point 2) If you were a "downhill rider", you would refer to yourself as a "downhiller"
Point 3) The trails are OPEN to ALL users, tough crap if some users don't like others.

We ride on Sunday boys.

Nov 10, 2008
Rubbertown....

First of all, check the video below, I made it just for you (seriously, its personalized)

http://www.mydeo.com/videorequest.asp?XID=2774&CID=231693

At first I thought you would respond to a polite request for the benefit of all. Instead, you decide that you know better than anyone else about what happens with riding access. I don't think you really understand, or care, about the long term access to The Syncline.

[By the way you are so witty to argue over the word "The" - BTW most locals call it "The Syncline" - but I digress (look it up)].

Instead you are primarily concerned with gettin' muddy. If you were really a badass you would go ride somewhere with jumps and some skinny log rides, but oh yeah, you don't really jump (too scary for ya?). Truth is, when the trails get saturated, no one should be riding until they dry out. Everyone should avoid fall line riding in places prone to erosion, and switchbacks should never be cut. Did you happen to read what the forest service says?

"The Open Space Plan for the Catherine Creek/Major Creek area anticipated a use pattern with dispersed recreation in this area rather than trails."

Does this sound particularly friendly to you? Trails will be closed and trails will be moved, but the number and severity is partly up to us and our actions. Even though it seems that you are too dense to understand the implications of your actions, I will ask you, and anyone else planning on going to The Syncline to reconsider. I know it is hard to believe, but access to the area just might be bigger topic than you think. Please, put your pride aside and do what is right for future access.

Tim

Last edited:
Nov 10, 2008
Rubbertown...

Just in case you can't figure it out the video plays in Windows Media Player.

Tim

Last edited:

zane

Turbo Monkey
Mar 29, 2004
Vancouver, WA
Cool video, I recall seeing that footage from somewhere a while ago...

And would you happen to have any pics of the current conditions at syncline? I'll stay away if you can provide some real evidence that we'll damage the trails but a few posts from some random guy (at least around here) won't do a ton to sway anyone's opinion.

Oh, and I just saw your posts over on westsidefreeride too.... I think pics of said bad trail conditions would do a lot to make your point.

rubberdown

Chimp
Apr 30, 2008
"Additionally, 25 people riding up and coming down once would probably not be a problem."

Is SynclineSaviors direct quote in another forum:http://mountainbikewith.us/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1800&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=15

Like the point I made earlier. Other users get to dictate who uses the trails.

Bull****.

25 XC riders is ok, but 25 DH riders is not. (which coincidentily, we were thinking MAYBE 2 runs then heading to Post) and your permitted math puts that many runs in as well.

25 riders up, 25 riders down = 50
25 riders down x 2 = 50

Get this. The theory is that some will blow lines right? Ok, 100%. At high rates of speed some would float over the trails edge in spots leaving tread patterns.

How many guys climbing to the top ride true center of the trail? Swerve to miss rocks, roots etc? Get off their bikes & bury their clips into the mud? Or toe-kick slippery spots to push bikes up tricky spots?

The weight of a 180 lb man exerting his force into his pedals at .3 miles an hour climbing does just as much damage to the "fall line" than a 180 lb man skimming the surface at 30 mph.

Furthermore, is it not more damaging to have panicky, unskilled at speed riders grabbing the **** out of their brakes down the entire trail on the return trip down? Versus the no-resistance fast rolling tires of skilled speed riders who know how to shave off speed long before needing to lock them up to gain control.

Semantics really.
All who use the trail leave footprints.
Water gathers in every indentation created.

On the personal end of the jabs:
I am a Jerky Downhiller. Tried & true & make no apologies. I have just as much right on that trail as anybody else. And I truly apologize to any other users I may startle while riding there, which, in my opinion is the true issue for the push of getting DH riding booted.

And contrary to your belief, jumping does not scare me. I just like jumping with as much speed as humanly possible, Falls does not offer me this. Too much speed control for me & I am too lazy to walk my fat ass to the top, I always make it down way to quick!

And at first, I did respond to the polite request. As I thought there was an official message behind your original post. It looked all official and junk. Then I just realized that it was biast towards your own personal thoughts, well these are my thoughts.

Could you please ask 25 xc riders at the trailhead from heading up on Sunday to allow us to use it for the day? Or maybe to just ride up and then shuttle down so they limit their impact for the day.

Because in the end you are just looking to shift the user impact to those with the biggest voices, not eliminate it.

My one regret would be that I could not afford the time to drive out to the initial meetings to represent my points of view. Because needless to say, us "jerks" were not represented in a favorable light, if at all.

You have no clue how passionate I truly am about Syncline, as you just joined this board yesterday.

This ride was not about just getting muddy, it was about sharing a ride day with friends to say goodbye to the old Syncline. Heading to post was to get muddy. I do understand what's in the pipeline for the area. It will never be my old proving grounds again & I wanted one last hoora.

I will end this off with a thank you.

Thank you for your dedication & time to ensuring long lasting trails.
Thank you for your bringing issues to light for everyone to contemplate.

Cheers Bro.

Nov 10, 2008
I didn't delete my posts. Someone at trailhead didn't like the dissenting view and removed them. I guess it is over there it is okay to post only if you agree with them. That is an interesting way to have a discussion.

fuzzycatnuts

Monkey
Dec 14, 2005
Nice work on Frankenstien, that trial has come a long way since the 1st time I rode it.

I see both points of view about sincline, you have every right to shuttle it as much as you want, but on the other hand If I had a big shuttle day I would just go to post canyon were nobody cares how much you shuttle it.