Quantcast

Syncros DS28 tubeless?

davet

Monkey
Jun 24, 2004
Has anyone tried using the Syncros DS28 rim with either Stans or ghetto tubeless setups? I'm interested in this rim but want to make sure it will work. I've heard tales of problems but it would be nice to hear if someone had some first hand experience.

rowlands

Monkey
Nov 26, 2006
I tried ghetto and couldn't get a minion to seat with a pump but i havent tried with a compressor yet

OilCanRacer

Chimp
Feb 13, 2008
been running that rim tubeless this year and no problems with kendas, Schwalbe, maxxis minion, wierwolf and Michelin dh.

rim strip and stans and pump them up. i can run most of them to about 26-8 psi before they burp on really hard turns

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
Do they last well? Is it wide enough for 2.5 tires. I have some but haven't ridden much DH on them yet. Do the "anti tire slippage machined groves" cause any problems for tubeless? Thanks.

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
Thanks dhkid. That was helpful. I think I will go build up a new back wheel. I wasn't sure if it was a good idea for my DH bike. Looks like I will find out soon.

Is your friend still slitting sidewalls from attacking? I hate tubeless for that reason. I almost always have to retire a tire from huge holes in the sides before it is completely finished (traction wise). If this is a common problem maybe tubeless is not for me?

davet

Monkey
Jun 24, 2004
been running that rim tubeless this year and no problems with kendas, Schwalbe, maxxis minion, wierwolf and Michelin dh.

rim strip and stans and pump them up. i can run most of them to about 26-8 psi before they burp on really hard turns

Which Stans strips did you use? I'm assuming the freeride strip?

dhkid

Turbo Monkey
Mar 10, 2005
Malaysia
he hasn't slit sidewalls in a while now since he changed to 823 rims.

its all about running the right pressures if you are pinching on tubeless.

buckoW

Turbo Monkey
Mar 1, 2007
Champery, Switzerland
he hasn't slit sidewalls in a while now since he changed to 823 rims.

its all about running the right pressures if you are pinching on tubeless.
I run enough pressure to not pinch on the rim or anything (too many chest high berms and g outs) it is more rocks slicing through the sidewalls.