Quantcast

Taco Friday

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
With only the two bolts holding it in place wouldnt the aluminum be a better choice? ie stronger? Easier to bend back if it got bent? Lighter?

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
With only the two bolts holding it in place wouldnt the aluminum be a better choice? ie stronger? Easier to bend back if it got bent? Lighter?

Well the poly ones won't bend, and are stronger to begin with to those types of forces. As for weight, not sure. From what i understand, to get the same strength in aluminum, it'd weigh more. 2 bolts vs 4 isn't going to make a difference.

It actually may be better now that I think of it for the gaurd to bend instead of send all the shock into 2 bolts, potentially snapping them off? Not sure, I'm sure DW can correct me if I'm wrong.

Also, the poly ones will tend to slide over obstacles instead of hang up on them.

ps: sorry about the edit above. I hit edit instead of quote.

oats

Chimp
Feb 14, 2005
Oregon
polycarbonate doesn't tend to bend, just crack. strength is a very broad catergory that can deal with many aspects and to call a pc basher "stronger" is not always accurate. i like aluminum, it is pretty :)
the weight is 68 grams and bolts to the lg1. note- this is not for sale at this time. it is still in the design phase. any feedback is appreciated.
nathan

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
I will say this - the Gold Tooth Taco is WAY lighter than what you could fashion with a Tuff Max e.thirteen Taco.

I weighed my new 36T e.thirteen SRS bash guard on a digi scale (no hardware) and it came in at 201.28g

So you figure you'll be using approx. 1/2 of a bash guard to make a Taco - if you check out the Gold Tooth Taco on Sicklines.com, it's listed weight is 68g.

So that's 100.64 for an e.thirteen Taco vs. 68g. for the Gold Tooth.

Not bad.

As far as failure goes, I'd imagine that you'd want the Taco to bend/give first, then the boomerang to deform, then the boomerang bolts to shear before you'd finally want the ISCG tabs to bend/shear.

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
Does anyone know the colors the GT comes in? I cant find it on their site. Maybe Im missing something.

oats

Chimp
Feb 14, 2005
Oregon
we have not put the mini basher on the site yet. i just sent the pix to jason and he put them up, too busy riding to update yet :)
they will come in the standard colors (gold, black, red) and a new titanium grey.
thanks
nathan

Dog Welder

Turbo Monkey
Sep 7, 2001
Pasadena, CA
Well the poly ones won't bend, and are stronger to begin with to those types of forces. As for weight, not sure. From what i understand, to get the same strength in aluminum, it'd weigh more. 2 bolts vs 4 isn't going to make a difference.

It actually may be better now that I think of it for the gaurd to bend instead of send all the shock into 2 bolts, potentially snapping them off? Not sure, I'm sure DW can correct me if I'm wrong.
Two bolts is plenty strong...BMX has been doing this for years. My Profile Porkchop is still serving me strong ofter 3 years of sproket stalls with a 230# guy on top.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
The taco mounts to the back of an SRS backplate. Bolt pattern doesn't matter. The backplate only comes in one pattern. It is NOT like an srs bashplate for grinds which you are both confusing it for.

Hope that helps.

Kntr

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Montana
Ahhh, I get it now. I still wonder if they will make a bash in 5 bolt compact or if they will do a special order.

oats

Chimp
Feb 14, 2005
Oregon
The taco mounts to the back of an SRS backplate. Bolt pattern doesn't matter. The backplate only comes in one pattern. It is NOT like an srs bashplate for grinds which you are both confusing it for.

Hope that helps.
:cheers:

No plans for a compact 5 bolt yet, not enough interest yet.
Nathan

J

J5ive

If you want light taco go a gamut or truvativ bashie, heaps lighter than the e13. Might require quicker replacement, but hey- you get a spare :)

Though the goldtooth does look nice.

dw

Wiffle Ball ninja
Sep 10, 2001
MV
polycarbonate doesn't tend to bend, just crack. strength is a very broad catergory that can deal with many aspects and to call a pc basher "stronger" is not always accurate. i like aluminum, it is pretty :)
the weight is 68 grams and bolts to the lg1. note- this is not for sale at this time. it is still in the design phase. any feedback is appreciated.
nathan
I don't know where you came up with your information, but I am sure that a lot of riders will disagree that polycarbonate tends to "crack". Only a couple things can cause a crack. 1) the material itself is defective/ wet when injected, 2) it was exposed to some sort of chenical that attacks it, which are few and far between. 3) someone overtightens a fastener to a ridiculous point, causing failure of the material. There are people out there with superchargers that have literally been riding them for years.

Keep in mind that the LG1's bolt on bashguard design is pending patent in the USA, Canada, Taiwan, China, OZ/Nz and all of Europe. Sell at your own risk.

Dave

dw

Wiffle Ball ninja
Sep 10, 2001
MV
I will say this - the Gold Tooth Taco is WAY lighter than what you could fashion with a Tuff Max e.thirteen Taco.

I weighed my new 36T e.thirteen SRS bash guard on a digi scale (no hardware) and it came in at 201.28g

So you figure you'll be using approx. 1/2 of a bash guard to make a Taco - if you check out the Gold Tooth Taco on Sicklines.com, it's listed weight is 68g.

So that's 100.64 for an e.thirteen Taco vs. 68g. for the Gold Tooth.

Not bad.

As far as failure goes, I'd imagine that you'd want the Taco to bend/give first, then the boomerang to deform, then the boomerang bolts to shear before you'd finally want the ISCG tabs to bend/shear.
The exact weight of the a 36T e.thirteen taco made from a 36T supercharger is 72 grams without hardware, and is almost completely indestructable.

We have tested for over a year now and have not yet seen one case of the ISCG tabs bending or shearing. We have an even newer bashguard design that is pending patent and will weigh in the range of 30-40 grams with the same level of protection as the current supercharger taco.

Lots of patent $$$ lately, and this is the reason why we hesitated to offer the taco for sale until this winter.

Dave

jvnixon

Turbo Monkey
May 14, 2006
SickLines.com
I don't know where you came up with your information, but I am sure that a lot of riders will disagree that polycarbonate tends to "crack". Only a couple things can cause a crack. 1) the material itself is defective/ wet when injected, 2) it was exposed to some sort of chenical that attacks it, which are few and far between. 3) someone overtightens a fastener to a ridiculous point, causing failure of the material. There are people out there with superchargers that have literally been riding them for years.

Dave
Now there's an informative answer. I can't wait to see them

fred.r

Dwangus Bogans
May 9, 2006
Here are supercharger taco weights I got.
The 40t taco with bolts is about an additional approx. 100g.
The 36t taco with bolts is about 90g.
My main turnoff with alum is the burs you get from impacts, that and the bends.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.

Keep in mind that the LG1's bolt on bashguard design is pending patent in the USA, Canada, Taiwan, China, OZ/Nz and all of Europe. Sell at your own risk.

Dave
I was gonna say, in all the years that I have run an SRS (an awful long time now), I have never managed to crack one, and I give it plenty of abuse slamming it into things I should be avoiding. I have of course, bent MANY mrp plates into pretzels ending race runs and ruining weekends (as well as destroying chains and chainrings).

Edit: I guess that also explains when we will be seeing products like the above enter the market....never. After seeing companies like race face blatantly rip off the SRS, this was probably a very wise moves. I can do without a taco with FLAMES!

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
The exact weight of the a 36T e.thirteen taco made from a 36T supercharger is 72 grams without hardware, and is almost completely indestructable.

We have tested for over a year now and have not yet seen one case of the ISCG tabs bending or shearing. We have an even newer bashguard design that is pending patent and will weigh in the range of 30-40 grams with the same level of protection as the current supercharger taco.

Lots of patent $$$ lately, and this is the reason why we hesitated to offer the taco for sale until this winter.

Dave

Whoops. I guess my calculations for the weight of an E.Thirteen Taco were WAY off.

72g sounds perfect.

I wasn't saying that the ISCG tabs WOULD shear or break - I was saying that if parts were to fail in a crash or accident, the last thing you'd want to get damaged in the order of the way parts would absorb the impact are the tabs. Just a comment on design strategy.

Kind of like the way F1 cars are designed to absorb impact energy in a particular order: first the tire/wheel, then the suspension, then the bodywork, and finally the monocoque.

Can't wait to see what you guys have cookin' over at E.Thirteen w/ the new patents.:biggrin:

oats

Chimp
Feb 14, 2005
Oregon

Dave
Dave, I was not implying that the E.13 supercharger would crack. It was in reference to the statement of "strength" I have not seen any of our aluminum bashers bend or fail in anyway let alone enough to end a race.
ps- Dave I emailed you back about the patent issue.
Nathan

dw

Wiffle Ball ninja
Sep 10, 2001
MV
I have not seen any of our aluminum bashers bend or fail in anyway let alone enough to end a race.
Its all good. Honestly, e.thirteen exists because of this issue. If I didnt personally drop chains and lose races because of bending or poorly made old guides, I never would have had the need to start thinking about new and different. Based on the fact that pretty much every drivetrain component company in the bike industry has followed e.thirteen's lead and gone to a polycarbonate bshguard (despite its increased cost) I think I may not have been the only one who saw this issue.

Good luck with it all and see you on the trails I hope.

Dave