Quantcast

Taco Truck Advice

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
How about no.
Does this need to a daily? A friend of mine picked up a sprinter with a few hunny on it for pretty cheap. He turned it into a Spartan bike hauling RV. Gets decent mileage with the diesel. It has been rock solid for him.

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
Yup, stripped down cargo van or Sprinter would do the trick. Two seats and a steering wheel is all you really need for your basic dirt bag activities.

Also much easier to clean dead hooker residue off a metal floor. Try getting that stuff out off shag carpet.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Does this need to a daily? A friend of mine picked up a sprinter with a few hunny on it for pretty cheap. He turned it into a Spartan bike hauling RV. Gets decent mileage with the diesel. It has been rock solid for him.
Looks like the cheapest ones are about $15k with a lot of miles. Does that sound about right?

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Looks like the cheapest ones are about $15k with a lot of miles. Does that sound about right?
Buddy paid only $6K. It was a northeast car so it does have some rust. The Dodge paintjobs were shit and were prone to rot.

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
yeah. we ran ours into the 250K mile range before we sold them off after 10 years of hard daily use. The issues I saw was the rubber turbo to intercooler hose would tear and no more turbo boost. that happened about once a year. easy enough to replace. Brakes are marginal for the weight. The fuel line to the injectors is not a stocked part and has to be ordered from a Los Angeles Warehouse after the second one went we ordered two more as spares as again they are cheap. You need to do regular transmission and oil changes as an engine will run 30k installed and a tranny 5k just for the unit. one other thing, the reason they get 20mpg on diesel is that they only get 187HP. the hills in SF were interesting going up but coming down the manual overide shifter would let you gear down the steepest grades using gears not brakes. really nice feature

chuffer

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2004
McMinnville, OR
I also thought this thread was about the food-truck trend that has so over shot its peak...

I have an 07 access cab "long" bed. I think the bed is too small for a real truck, because 4 x 8 foot sheets of plywood / sheetrock are a pain in the ass (length and width) and sleeping is a no go (length, but i am 6'3"). On top of that the topper isn't really that water proof.

Since I bought a used F250 to cover the "real truck" tasks, I'll prolly replace this one with a shortbed dual cab. An RTT will cover camping needs and the dual cab would be a lot more convenient. The only problem is that at 160k miles on the clock, the truck is still going very strong. I may make it to the timing chain change interval at 350k miles at this rate.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I will say this, you should spend at least $50K for a new truck, otherwise, it's not really a luxury truck...

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I will say this, you should spend at least $50K for a new truck, otherwise, it's not really a luxury truck...

Red neck secretary of my group just spent $75k+ on a pickup. That was before new big wheels and tires.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
Red neck secretary of my group just spent $75k+ on a pickup. That was before new big wheels and tires.
Let me guess, it has a tonneau cover permanently mounted because they don't actually intend to use it for any truck related duties. Just shuttling golf clubs and potted lavender.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Let me guess, it has a tonneau cover permanently mounted because they don't actually intend to use it for any truck related duties. Just shuttling golf clubs and potted lavender.
My neighbor has never taken the top off his truck and has twice borrowed mine to haul dirt. What's best is he didn't ask me, he had his wife ask my wife if they could borrow it and she said yes. :rofl:

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle

Hauling horses. People used to ride those things around, now they just drag them around. Just like most Harleys.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Trucks are cool. My girl has the new V6 TRD Offroad with the double cab/short bed. Like someone said, the engine is not very inspiring on the road, but otherwise it's pretty sweet. There is no way, however, that bikes are fitting in the short bed without pulling wheels or hanging over the gate. With a cab it works great for dogs, grubby bike stuff, etc., with a hitch mounted bike rack.

You could also pick up a truck camper shell for longer trips, particularly if you've got a place to store it when not in use.

Really though, unless you plan to do any real off-roading, sounds like you'll be better off with a Sprinter or Ford Transit. You'll pay too much for truck capability that you won't really use, and be left compromising on sleep-ability, bike hauling, etc. (I suspect you know this already.)

I have a pimped-out Sprinter conversion van that is awesome. Being able to sleep in the van with bikes securely inside is rad, as is being able to pull in and out of camp spots with essentially zero set-up and break-down time. It was spendy though, for sure. All you really need to do is find a good solid cargo van and build a basic bed platform so you can stuff bikes underneath. (Preferably it'll be a taller one so you can stand up inside, which makes a big difference.) Do that and you'll be ready for road trips for less than the Taco you're talking about. You'll have more room and be more comfortable, especially if the weather turns to shit. And you'd have a good base vehicle to build out later if you catch the bug.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
Trucks are cool. My girl has the new V6 TRD Offroad with the double cab/short bed. Like someone said, the engine is not very inspiring on the road, but otherwise it's pretty sweet. There is no way, however, that bikes are fitting in the short bed without pulling wheels or hanging over the gate. With a cab it works great for dogs, grubby bike stuff, etc., with a hitch mounted bike rack.

You could also pick up a truck camper shell for longer trips, particularly if you've got a place to store it when not in use.

Really though, unless you plan to do any real off-roading, sounds like you'll be better off with a Sprinter or Ford Transit. You'll pay too much for truck capability that you won't really use, and be left compromising on sleep-ability, bike hauling, etc. (I suspect you know this already.)

I have a pimped-out Sprinter conversion van that is awesome. Being able to sleep in the van with bikes securely inside is rad, as is being able to pull in and out of camp spots with essentially zero set-up and break-down time. It was spendy though, for sure. All you really need to do is find a good solid cargo van and build a basic bed platform so you can stuff bikes underneath. (Preferably it'll be a taller one so you can stand up inside, which makes a big difference.) Do that and you'll be ready for road trips for less than the Taco you're talking about. You'll have more room and be more comfortable, especially if the weather turns to shit. And you'd have a good base vehicle to build out later if you catch the bug.
Pics of said Sprinter plz.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Build yerself one of these and drive around something that doesn't have to double as shelter. These are light enough to be towed by anything.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
I've owned two tacomas (99 and 2008). The 99 was the shit. Small enough to fit places, tough enough to still be called a truck.

I'm looking forward to my next purchase which will be a Silverado 1500. Bigger bed, made of metal, stronger motor (I move sleds and heavy things around), equally as reliable as Toyota is reputed to be, and similar gas mileage. And none of the dumb plastic bullshit that falls apart on newer Toyotas.

Tacomas ain't what they used to be. Probably like a dozen recalls deep on my 08'.

If you buy one, that's one of the few vehicles that seem to hold their value absurdly high so yeah fuck it, get new.