Quantcast

Take Notes

Curb Hucker

I am an idiot
Feb 4, 2004
Sleeping in my Kenworth
If you are like me and want run a king hub on a 135x12 axle, you can. I was told not to do this by king, but hell i did it anyways. I didnt have time to have it done on a lathe, but it turned out perfect.

Supplies:

Large Vise Grips
3/8in bit for pilot hole
12mm Drill bit for axle hole
Drill press
2 bricks

What i did:

place the two bricks on the drill press, then leveled the wheel on the bricks, drilled a 3/8in pilot hole, then drill the 12mm hole. the Vise Grips are to hold the axle so it wont spin.

Although this may seem extremely ghetto, it worked like tits, i got 2 perfectly straight holes, both to the exact size i needed, and what did this cost me $8 for a 12mm bit.

Incubus

Monkey
Oct 17, 2001
Boston, MA
Good work.

What kind of frame is that? (You've been going through them rather quickly these days and I can't keep up. ;) :) )

Repack

Turbo Monkey
Nov 29, 2001
Boston Area
Dude thats sick! I have a soft spor in my heart for ghettoriffic fixes that work 100%.

But, if they work 100%, are they no longer ghettotastic???:confused:

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
is that a DH bike or a FR bike? 135mm is kind of strange these days for a DH bike.

Curb Hucker

I am an idiot
Feb 4, 2004
Sleeping in my Kenworth
Originally posted by Brian HCM#1
I think its an 02 or 03 frame.
Its an 03, Theres just as much material on the internal axle thing as there is on one of my buddies 12mm DT TA hubs

And i dont think it could be considered ghettotastic, as it did work 100%, i beat the hell out of the bike on an 8hr urban ride, and the hub, and whole bike came through with flying colors.

And i did like the karp, but DAMN this lambda is frickin amazing. After riding RFXs going to the karp was quite a change. This lambda feels almost exactly like a heavy 8.5in travel version of the RFX, i love it.

And Brian, its still lighter than your bike at 40.1 :D

Curb Hucker

I am an idiot
Feb 4, 2004
Sleeping in my Kenworth
Originally posted by Echo
Man that takes a huge set of nads to go at a King hub with a drill press! :eek: props to you, glad it worked out :thumb:
Yes, and No. It did take balls because i knew if i screwed up i wouldnt be riding tonight, but if i did, it wouldnt be too bad, because a new internal axle/endcap things would cost me jack $hit

Curb Hucker

I am an idiot
Feb 4, 2004
Sleeping in my Kenworth
Originally posted by handlebars
guess i know why you weren't at cpx today huh. playing machine shop:D how was the cfr urban ride?
Ya, bike came at 10, and i had to drill out the hub, which took a while, then grind down my inner bashring to get that to fit, that took a while, then put the bike together.

Ill be down next week for sure, the CFR ride wasnt much, it was just me and youngin' and then we met Dennis and Joe Joe out there. I did get to test out the frame though, its great. What about your frame, is spec. takin care of you?

Curb Hucker

I am an idiot
Feb 4, 2004
Sleeping in my Kenworth
Originally posted by Brian HCM#1
There is no way that frame is as light as a small Disco.
I know, the Karp was 38lbs in its finalized form. The karp frame was 11 with shock, the lambda is 13 with shock (im using my 8.5x2.5 Ti spring Push, vs. Orvens 8.75x2.75 Swinger w/ 600lbs steel spring) So yes, its still lighter than yours :D

ChrisKring

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Grand Haven, MI
I was looking at my King hub after you made your initial post. The only problem I see with drilling it is that you lose the ablility to adjust the play or take it apart. You could machine some flats on the caps so that you could put a wrench on it instead.

Curb Hucker

I am an idiot
Feb 4, 2004
Sleeping in my Kenworth
Originally posted by ChrisKring
I was looking at my King hub after you made your initial post. The only problem I see with drilling it is that you lose the ablility to adjust the play or take it apart. You could machine some flats on the caps so that you could put a wrench on it instead.
I allready took that into consideration,

I could do:

Flats into the sides for cresent wrenches

Slits in the centers, and make tools that resemble giant flat head screwdrivers

or

Just use vise grips, the ghettoriffic way :D

zedro

Turbo Monkey
Sep 14, 2001
at the end of the longest line
Originally posted by Transcend
arent u suposed to be at dinner? hmmm? or washing your bike maybe
yeah...at 5...i didnt want to get there too early, i need to maintain my stature as the official black sheep.

and i dont wash my bike....hell i dont even take it out of the car between weekends......your teammate was rather sensitive about his bike washing compulsion though wasent he....

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Originally posted by zedro
yeah...at 5...i didnt want to get there too early, i need to maintain my stature as the official black sheep.

and i dont wash my bike....hell i dont even take it out of the car between weekends......your teammate was rather sensitive about his bike washing compulsion though wasent he....
:D :p ;)

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
Originally posted by ViolentVolante
I know, the Karp was 38lbs in its finalized form. The karp frame was 11 with shock, the lambda is 13 with shock (im using my 8.5x2.5 Ti spring Push, vs. Orvens 8.75x2.75 Swinger w/ 600lbs steel spring) So yes, its still lighter than yours :D
I'm bring my portable digital scale to N*, I'm weighing that baby.:devil:

Brian HCM#1

MMMMMMMMM BEER!!!!!!!!!!
Sep 7, 2001
Bay Area, California
Originally posted by ViolentVolante
you have a specific "portable" one. how many scales in total is that for ya Brian :D
2:p one is my shipping scale that works great for weighing individual parts, and the other is a scale to weigh bikes

Orvan

Mar 5, 2002
Califor-N.I.A.
Originally posted by adrenalinerush
Man is it sweet looking, I am still trying to get over the looks at that frame.
if I knew VioletVolante would end up with my frame, I would have abused it when I had it... would have taken off the scratch guard and laid it flat on a skid.... :devil:

teaser for randy while waiting for your ugly frame.. :D

Originally posted by Orven
if I knew VioletVolante would end up with my frame, I would have abused it when I had it... would have taken off the scratch guard and laid it flat on a skid.... :devil:

teaser for randy while waiting for your ugly frame.. :D
Ugly is held is the eye of the beholder, so to me that frame is like staring at your avatar...those chicks r hot:eek: God knows what I'll be doing with that frame when I recieve it.