Quantcast

Talas R For DJ?

mobius

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Around DC
I know this isn't the bmx forum but i trust most judgement in here and was wondering how the talas R holds up for DJing. I found a great deal on one and my Chase's stance is a POS and dying so i was wondering how it holds up to the abuse of DJing, 4x, DS and some street/park once and a while.

Thanks

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
It's a really really good feeling fork for dirt jumping. But as with all fox forks, coil or air, there will be an issue with the stanchion/crown interface. I know you ride pretty hard......I'd check out a sherman something.

I can't even believe you're asking about a fox fork after all the venom you had for your last vanilla. :blah:

motomike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 19, 2005
North Carolina
Kidwoo, can you say some more about the problem with the Fox forks? I think mine is doing that. On about every hit it makes an unnerving cracking noise.

mobius

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Around DC
kidwoo said:
It's a really really good feeling fork for dirt jumping. But as with all fox forks, coil or air, there will be an issue with the stanchion/crown interface. I know you ride pretty hard......I'd check out a sherman something.

I can't even believe you're asking about a fox fork after all the venom you had for your last vanilla. :blah:
Hah yeah i know about the annoying creaking noise. No manipoo for me as this fox is gonna be a good good good deal for me.

I liked my vanilla and like fox but was just real mad at how their customer service treated me.

bikenweed

Turbo Monkey
Oct 21, 2004
Los Osos
I've been DJing a Talas R for a year now, and it's good. The seals wore out pretty quick riding XC in the winter, and there is something really wrong with the Talas side now, but all in all, it's the best fork I've ever had on my slalom/dirt jump bike. Plus, Fox goes to all the races so it's easy to get a fork fixed quickly, as long as you too will be at the races.
Keep in mind, that no MTB fork that's currently out there is indestructible. The Sherman's are really plush and strong, but they blow up pretty fast, the Rock Shox Pike is weak sauce, Marzocchi's weigh a ton. All in all, the Fox is the best compromise of strength, weight, cost, performance and reliability.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
motomike said:
Kidwoo, can you say some more about the problem with the Fox forks? I think mine is doing that. On about every hit it makes an unnerving cracking noise.
That's the one.

A friend of mine just turns his bike upside down and drips tri-flow into his crowns at the stanchion. Sketchy to to me but quiet none the less.

scurban

Turbo Monkey
Jul 11, 2004
SC
bikenweed said:
I've been DJing a Talas R for a year now, and it's good. The seals wore out pretty quick riding XC in the winter, and there is something really wrong with the Talas side now, but all in all, it's the best fork I've ever had on my slalom/dirt jump bike. Plus, Fox goes to all the races so it's easy to get a fork fixed quickly, as long as you too will be at the races.
Keep in mind, that no MTB fork that's currently out there is indestructible. The Sherman's are really plush and strong, but they blow up pretty fast, the Rock Shox Pike is weak sauce, Marzocchi's weigh a ton. All in all, the Fox is the best compromise of strength, weight, cost, performance and reliability.

couldn't have said it better myself.

one thing i'd like to add, is that if you ever have a problem with a fox (and you're not at a race), their customer service is great, and they usually have a pretty quick turn around.

IFL

Chimp
Jan 23, 2004
DK Land
kidwoo said:
That's the one.

A friend of mine just turns his bike upside down and drips tri-flow into his crowns at the stanchion. Sketchy to to me but quiet none the less.
Yeah that works, I used to do it

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
I just had to send a Talas RLC back after two months of DJ. I don't know if this is a trend or just bad luck...

Showtime

Chimp
Aug 6, 2003
Seattle, WA
Just a word of warning on the Fox for DJ. I have personally seen 2 different people tear both the dropout tabs off their Fox fork. Both involved a front wheel twisting crash, however, I would certainly not expect that outcome from either crash. I am not saying that it won't work great for you, its just a heads up.