Quantcast

Tales of Defeat

spylab

Monkey
Feb 7, 2007
I don't think there's a person here who hasn't taken a good spill or two (or twenty) on the hill. Let's hear your best story, whether it be the hardest wreck, most damaging to you or your bike, or just the most ridiculous and embarrassing wipeout!

This post comes after probably the most damage I've done to myself riding today, on Twist of all places. I'm not a big aerial person, but I have been getting quicker and quicker on the semi-tech trails. I was right before the first rock roller and out of nowhere a little scooper rock grabbed my front wheel and sent me over the bars, landing hand/arm first onto a rock section. My left arm from my wrist to above my elbow is totally shredded and my left hand is about twice the size of my right.

I've gone down - a lot - before, but I am still unsure if I sprained anything yet. Yeow! The bike, besides some blood on the top tube, made it out without a problem.

pinkshirtphotos

site moron
Jul 5, 2006
Vernon, NJ
when i started riding i wore an xc helmet and gloves, clipped a tree going around floom drop and crashed. put my knee into a rock cracking my kneecap. next week i got knee shin guards and a fullface helmet.

jcaramia

Monkey
Oct 28, 2007
Clifton, NJ
Well today, Dom. 1 race. My Dad told me to race pro just to see how I place, so I did. During practice, I broke 4 spokes and ended my race run with a tacoed< (spell check) rear rotor. I was doing great until I hit my rear rotor on one of the rocks in legion. At first, I though I lost liquid in my rear brake line so I stopped after my second crash and tried to fix it fast with the contact adjust. Rode down with no rear brake and with a bent rotor. I lost about a minute and fifteen seconds from crashing and trying to see if I could fix my brake. I felt like such moron in front of everyone.

FOXROX

Turbo Monkey
Jun 23, 2007
hambur,nj
well i snapped my frame, and yesterday during practice i fell in the mud puddle after the steep rock section

jcaramia

Monkey
Oct 28, 2007
Clifton, NJ
well that was another one but i didnt really fall, but i actly fell in the mud were the "water fall" was lol
haha.

My friend Nartzis, hit his head on a tree at high speed and then fell into the stream after the frog pond. He was knocked out unconscious. Then rode down and couldn't remember anything. He had amnesia for a while too. He still rode for the rest of the day while asking the same questions over and over again. He went to the hospital later that night. He is home now and is fine. Just can't remember the crash.

spylab

Monkey
Feb 7, 2007
haha.

My friend Nartzis, hit his head on a tree at high speed and then fell into the stream after the frog pond. He was knocked out unconscious. Then rode down and couldn't remember anything. He had amnesia for a while too. He still rode for the rest of the day while asking the same questions over and over again. He went to the hospital later that night. He is home now and is fine. Just can't remember the crash.
Downhill mountain biking with a concussion = worst idea ever

bmxracer62

Monkey
Feb 11, 2008
yea joe, thats a shame about your your run:disgust: but if it makes you feel better, i was one of the last people to go, my whole body was wet,muddy and shivering like crazy on the 10 second call. my goggles were fogged wet and muddy to start the run then get 1/3 of the way down i cant see anything so i went one handed pulling my goggles off only half way off, finally got them off right before where the am/pro section started, i got around the first big bend there and dumped it, big ole' knot on my elbow, hurt like hell. now i have 2 hands completley covered in thick mud, all over my grips. i made it alright into open section but was riding comletly blind, i got through the berms alright but i got back in the open and i was just sprinting blind. my first race ever, i might of did ok, idk. i just left and changed, got dry,cleaned my bike and left, as did many others! i hope my next racing experience is in dry cause im gonna kick ass!:beerjam:

bmxracer62

Monkey
Feb 11, 2008
hopefully, whats the deal with race results, when will they post them. i was just try to get out of there

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
tore my acl after washing out after the us open gully jump before the berms. lost a whip on dominion that ended with my landing almost backwards and flipping off the bike

spylab

Monkey
Feb 7, 2007
tore my acl after washing out after the us open gully jump before the berms. lost a whip on dominion that ended with my landing almost backwards and flipping off the bike
Were you riding a 303 for the Open last year? If so, I saw you wipe out. Definitely a high speed crash!

Jun 10, 2007
North Jersey
most embarassing: riding at the open last year coming down the fireroad and my friend who i was riding with yelled my name. i turned my upper body around to see what she wanted and rode straight into a ditch. Ripped my derailer clean off and cut a huge chunk outta my knee.

never thought id get hurt without even going on a trail

trevorson8

Chimp
May 5, 2008
Boston, MA
So far this season:

Diablo: 2

Me: 0

Last week, without even being hit, my deraileur ened up in my wheel, and today I took a nice high speed chest shot into a tree during practice...

konarider1283

Monkey
Sep 1, 2005
mm diablo beat the hell out of me last year, and the year before was pretty brutal too heh. well, 2 years ago i bit it on doms opening day (good ol 13" of karpiel madness to throw me off ;)), than 2 weeks later got 8 stitches cuz i caught a bad line in Utah n my knee guard moved out of the way and i landed on a rock. But last year definitely takes the cake...
after stupidly deciding to ride Sunday after most likely getting a concussion on friday, i got caught behind some newbies on the top of Exodus and well, since i had no speed to come off that first little rock drop, i ended up flipping over it and well, thats all i remember. woke up a few min later according to my buddies laying in the trail, had no idea where i was. blurred vision, the whole deal. after 10 min rode to the bottom. went home later that night, went to the e.r. n stayed overnight cuz i had 2 concussions. f*ckin blood clots in my head. Went home the next day with a no sports for 6 months stamped right on my forehead :banghead::banghead:. Definitely learned my lesson from that one ;)

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
mm diablo beat the hell out of me last year, and the year before was pretty brutal too heh. well, 2 years ago i bit it on doms opening day (good ol 13" of karpiel madness to throw me off ;)), than 2 weeks later got 8 stitches cuz i caught a bad line in Utah n my knee guard moved out of the way and i landed on a rock. But last year definitely takes the cake...
after stupidly deciding to ride Sunday after most likely getting a concussion on friday, i got caught behind some newbies on the top of Exodus and well, since i had no speed to come off that first little rock drop, i ended up flipping over it and well, thats all i remember. woke up a few min later according to my buddies laying in the trail, had no idea where i was. blurred vision, the whole deal. after 10 min rode to the bottom. went home later that night, went to the e.r. n stayed overnight cuz i had 2 concussions. f*ckin blood clots in my head. Went home the next day with a no sports for 6 months stamped right on my forehead :banghead::banghead:. Definitely learned my lesson from that one ;)

AFTER I TOLD U TO GO THE HOSPITOL BECAUSE U SMASHED UR HEAD IN DIRT JUMPING WHICH WAS ON SATURDAY!!!!! :disgust1::disgust1::disgust1::disgust1::disgust1::disgust1::disgust1::disgust1::disgust1::disgust1::disgust1::disgust1::disgust1::disgust1::disgust1::disgust1::disgust1::disgust1::disgust1::disgust1::disgust1::disgust1:

Instigatr

Monkey
Apr 13, 2007
New Milford, NJ
The hardest I crashed was on Lower exodus, approaching the steep rock face. I was coming in too fast, hit the brakes a little too hard, and the front suspension absorbed everything. The front tire stopped in a little rut right at the apex of the drop, endoed and hung the best and longest polish wheelie... till I went over the bars. Slid, rolled, tumbled and then like any good crash, got hit by the bike at the end. Every piece of protective equipment I was wearing that day paid for itself. Next time you're there, stop, stand at the top of the flat rock and imagine diving head first down...... Ouch.

Timekiller

Monkey
Oct 9, 2006
NJ
For some odd reason Bushwhack has always been my nemesis. Last year, I think I went OTB 4 times in different spots. The worst being after the big rock roller, I caught a bit of air and the next thing I knew I was laying on the ground. Thanks to 661 and their shiitty knee pads, they just slid down and I got a good bit of rash, and my knee was screwd for a few weeks.

Iridemtb

Turbo Monkey
Feb 2, 2007
Last year I crashed in the same race the same spot as demo 9... I got a concusion and a broken nose on that freakin gully gap. I was in intro, but I was hauling, try to speed jump it, and nose cased. I woke up sitting up on the edge of an ambulence.

I saw it opening day, just starring at it, wondering if I'll really jump that again. I probably will, haha.

jerseydirt

Turbo Monkey
May 6, 2007
dirty jerz
So i fell off the top of the rock at the beginning of lower breakout cause i thought it would be cool just to launch off the top of it and pump down into it. so i did it for a while then some kid asked if the trails was easy and i made some retarded remark and sped toward and lost control. when i got to the top i flew and landed on a 2 foot tall rock right on my hip from like 10 feet. then i couldnt walk. and thats my story.

DownhillR3

Monkey
May 31, 2007
Domination 4 of 2006?(September 23) Going towards the race course on Upper Exodus, roughly 20 feet into the trail, there is the wooden ramp up to the rock then the ramp back down the other side of the rock. Not a very technical feature but it's always the dumb things that bite you. Well, somehow I must have gapped it to far to the left, front tire missed the wooden ramp on the backside, ejected me over the rock & out onto the trail with the bike sliding down on top of me. I got up quickly as possible, trying to get my goggles off & as I go to lift my shoulders, my right one won't go up past my head. Low & behold I have to walk around for the next week with my collarbone sticking out about 3 inches(luckily not through the skin 'cause I would of passed out) got a plate & 8 screws put in, Doc says a 1 in 100 shot, just my luck.:disgust:

Roskos

Chimp
Sep 14, 2007
Lakewood, NJ
Okay, I know it's a Diablo thread. But my most embarrassing race moment was the Duryea race last year. I'm sure most of you raced it. I hit a tree and blew up both wrists at the top of the hill before the finish. I rolled 50 or 60 feet downhill in front of everyone and couldn't stop myself cause I couldn't use my hands. Totally embarrassing.

FOXROX

Turbo Monkey
Jun 23, 2007
hambur,nj
So i fell off the top of the rock at the beginning of lower breakout cause i thought it would be cool just to launch off the top of it and pump down into it. so i did it for a while then some kid asked if the trails was easy and i made some retarded remark and sped toward and lost control. when i got to the top i flew and landed on a 2 foot tall rock right on my hip from like 10 feet. then i couldnt walk. and thats my story.

i did that to! except i hit the tree lol

rollertoaster

Monkey
Aug 7, 2007
Douglassville , PA
1st run Saturday morning on the race course. While riding down the river of mud, I had my bike ripped out from under me. It was on the diagonal roots after the intro/ pro-am split. They were still covered in mud and I was haulin' and didn't see them. I hit ground and I'm not really sure what happened. I hit my lower back under my spine protector on the left side. For some reason the bruise is on my stomach not my back. I still can't feel my skin on my back it's totally numb after 2 1/2 days.

jerseydirt

Turbo Monkey
May 6, 2007
dirty jerz
i did that to! except i hit the tree lol
i know its like woa and then your like whoa and everything is like whoa:banana: but yeah its really sucks cause you just brace yourself for landing you dont even scream you just look at the ground its so funny when you in the air. i was just looking down at the ground like oh ****TTTT!!!!!

jerseydirt

Turbo Monkey
May 6, 2007
dirty jerz
1st run Saturday morning on the race course. While riding down the river of mud, I had my bike ripped out from under me. It was on the diagonal roots after the intro/ pro-am split. They were still covered in mud and I was haulin' and didn't see them. I hit ground and I'm not really sure what happened. I hit my lower back under my spine protector on the left side. For some reason the bruise is on my stomach not my back. I still can't feel my skin on my back it's totally numb after 2 1/2 days.
that happened on my hipp you should go to the doctor cause i think that means an organ is bruised or you just hit it so hard the nerves went numb, i could feel my hip for like a month and a half but it would hurt if you hit it. but if you scratch it you cant feel it

Excoudos

Chimp
Apr 25, 2007
Vernon
the rock drop on ripper i over shot 2 years ago on u.s open weekend. ending up going over the bars having my helmet smash in and taring my nose apart which coast me 5,800 bucks worth of plastic surgery to my nose.