Quantcast

Talk about the prototypical Ugly American Tourist...

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/17284416/

A tour group of U.S. senior citizens fought off a group of muggers in Costa Rica, killing one of the assailants, police said Thursday.

The tourists’ bus was held up by three men armed with a gun and knife in the Caribbean coastal town of Limon after the group arrived on a cruise ship Wednesday, said Limon police chief Luis Hernandez.

Hernandez said a retired U.S. serviceman whom officials estimated was in his 70s put one of the attackers — aged 20 — in a headlock and broke his clavicle.

After the other two assailants fled, the tourists drove the injured man to the local Red Cross branch where he was declared dead.
Don't f' with old people or they'll break your neck. So bad ass...

vtjim

Beware of Milo & Otis
Jan 6, 2006
North Andover MA
That's interesting. Costa Rica is supposedly one of the most "tourist safe" countries in Central/South America. That's where I went for my honeymoon.

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
Anyone remember the Monty Python skit with senile delinquints?
Hah!

dhbuilder

jingoistic xenophobe
Aug 10, 2005
That's interesting. Costa Rica is supposedly one of the most "tourist safe" countries in Central/South America. That's where I went for my honeymoon.
hell.
it's obviously safe if you're hanging out with your grandparents.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
I believe there were some female tourists murdered a few years back...

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Yeah but compared to Brazil it's a huge difference suppsosedly. I really wouldn't know because I spent a week at a resort so I wasn't exactly "emersed" in the culture.
Brazil=wild west.

A friend of mine wife is Brazilian, he always bragged how much better it was than the US is and he wanted to move his family there. His plans changed after several relatives of his wife were killed in a carjacking.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Yeah but compared to Brazil it's a huge difference suppsosedly. I really wouldn't know because I spent a week at a resort so I wasn't exactly "emersed" in the culture.
I've been to CR over a half dozen times the past few years (mostly Dominical, Monteverde, San Jose, San Isidro, and Arenal) and my sister has been living there for 4 years. Its just as safe as any other US resort area - mostly petty theft if you aren't careful and in general the bigger cities have more problems.

The only recent major crime I can remember is armed robbery by Nicaraguans (not CR's) with AK47s at a bank in Monteverde - the CR Swat team flew in and took care of them - most were saved after a 28 hour incident. That kind of thing happens in the US though too so...

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Compared to East Oakland or Richmond, Costa Rica is way safer!

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
Brazil=wild west.

A friend of mine wife is Brazilian, he always bragged how much better it was than the US is and he wanted to move his family there. His plans changed after several relatives of his wife were killed in a carjacking.
A friend of mine growing up was from Sao Paulo.
You don't stop at interesections, you gun it.....everywhere.

But hey, when your city is famous for death squads killing glue sniffing kids, you hardly notice a car jacking:monkeydance:

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
A friend of mine growing up was from Sao Paulo.
You don't stop at interesections, you gun it.....everywhere.

But hey, when your city is famous for death squads killing glue sniffing kids, you hardly notice a car jacking:monkeydance:
I spent a month in Sao Paulo and got lost a few times and ended up in a few sketchy areas. I was never afraid though, it might have been due to cockiness or ignorance.

Funniest thing I heard when down there was when a friend while stuck in traffic got fed up of waiting and yelled out of the car "get out of my way, I'm an American land owner god damn it!"

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
(now that we're on brazil :D)

when my orchestra toured brazil in 2000, the powers that be decided to show us their highly trained drug sniffing dogs (jumping through hoops and such)

Secret Squirrel

There is no Justice!
Dec 21, 2004
Up sh*t creek, without a paddle
(now that we're on brazil :D)

when my orchestra toured brazil in 2000, the powers that be decided to show us their highly trained drug sniffing dogs (jumping through hoops and such)

so...they didn't find your stash I take it...

Hmmm...I wonder how good those noses can be...cause I can smell Colombia all the way up here....whooooO!!!! what a rush....