Quantcast

Talk Me Out of a Capra 29?

Lelandjt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
Breckenridge, CO/Lahaina,HI
I've been thinking about a 29" enduro bike with a little longer reach than my Nomad 3 for courses where it just feels a little undergunned. I rode a HT LT and liked it but the seat tube was slacker than I'd like (for climbing) and it could use a touch more travel. By numbers the Capra 29 seems perfect (170/170 travel!) Anything I'm overlooking or downsides to this bike? I realize it won't climb as well as the Nomad 3 or HT LT but that's okay. This will be my "big" enduro bike (in addition to my N3 & Bronson 2) and might even replace my 26" V10.5.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
Just jump over the 29er thing and get an E-bike right away. You know you want it and it gets you way more street cred with the lizards than the 29er. Don't listen to the RM folks, they don't know what's up. E-bike, I tell you! And get a skinsuit while you are at it. Nicely complements the look. :D

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
Just jump over the 29er thing and get an E-bike right away. You know you want it and it gets you way more street cred with the lizards than the 29er. Don't listen to the RM folks, they don't know what's up. E-bike, I tell you! And get a skinsuit while you are at it. Nicely complements the look. :D
Does anyone make a 36'er e-bike? Asking for a friend...

I've been thinking about a 29" enduro bike with a little longer reach than my Nomad 3 for courses where it just feels a little undergunned. I rode a HT LT and liked it but the seat tube was slacker than I'd like (for climbing) and it could use a touch more travel. By numbers the Capra 29 seems perfect (170/170 travel!) Anything I'm overlooking or downsides to this bike? I realize it won't climb as well as the Nomad 3 or HT LT but that's okay. This will be my "big" enduro bike (in addition to my N3 & Bronson 2) and might even replace my 26" V10.5.
Get one just so everyone will have something to whine about.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Look I accepted long ago that the 29ers aren't exactly a lifestyle choice. It's just something you're born with and no amount of conversion therapy is going to change who you are inside. It may not be my preference but who am I to make laws limiting your civil rights? Be who you're born to be. Just don't go wagging that thing in my face.

Last edited:

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
I went to 29er DH land...and I came back. Got tired (literally) of riding up berms, having to pedal harder in between turns and jumps, not going as far on the jumps/gaps, and so on. They make wheel-catchers almost an impossibility, but the other negatives are too much IME. One can go fast and shred on one, but I find that you can go a little faster much easier on slightly smaller wheels. Id try a mixer bike, but I don't think a 29er rear wheel does anything useful on a DH bike.

Lelandjt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
Hmm, I've already got a skinsuit (I'm a roadie during the winter) and hookers & blow in the High Country are so disappointing. I'm pretty sold on getting a 29" (both wheels*) enduro bike to compare to my beloved N3 (which isn't going anywhere). An Evil or Specialized are off the table and the other 29" enduro bikes only have 150mm travel. I haven't heard anything good or bad about Capras and wanted to know what the word on the street is.

*I used to be in the camp that said a 29" rear wheel had no advantage over a 27.5". After some testing on a Santa Cruz HT LT I'm thinking they hang up/bash into rocks a little less. More speed and less rim hits.

Gallain

Monkey
Dec 28, 2001
Sweden
Ask people about their experiences with the yt warranty department... I know a couple who aren't as pleased.

Lelandjt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
A hitch in the plan:
YT is out of the Capra 29 Pro Race. They don't sell frames. I'd buy the Pro, then put a DHX2 on but it and all the other lower models are listed with 160mm travel. Only the Pro Race is 170mm. I'm waiting to hear back from YT on what is different between the frame on their top model and the others.

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
Frames show on teh website, however if you choose location and country (either US or Canukistan) frames then disappear from the products list. :monkeydance:

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
They only just started selling frames.
Possible not all regions have them for sale yet I suppose

Lelandjt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
Shock stroke
Oh yeah, so same position at top out but the DHX2 goes 5mm deeper into the stroke.
Okay, than plan B is in effect. I buy a Pro and swap out parts till I'm happy, starting with a 65mm stroke DHX2 and 170mm TALAS 36. Whoa, so the Fox website only shows the 29" 36 going up to 160mm travel, but the Capra Pro Race comes with a 170mm 36. Hmm, I'll call Fox Monday.

Last edited:

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
At this point it seems like you're trying to put a round peg into a square hole.

Why the fascination w/ YT?

Plenty of other carbon frames doing consumer direct these days. Canyon, Orbea. That Orbea Rallon gets some really good reviews.

What races are you planning on doing this year? 170mm on a 29er is pretty far out there. Not saying you won't use it all, but that's on the upper end of travel for endurbro races in CO. (I'm wondering what I'm missing out on, race wise ;)

If you're looking for more reach, specifically, look at Guerrilla Gravity. But The Smash is only 140mm rear. Also not crabon. But you have the factory down the road to support you, just in case.