Quantcast

Talk me out of rekindling my youth via vintage bikes

trib

not worthy of a Rux.
Jun 22, 2009
I used to ride a 1999 model Santa Cruz chameleon, it was my first “real mountain bike”. I loved it.

I rode the small size because all the cool guys rode tiny bikes, there’s an xl on Craigslist right now and I’m getting a very dumb itch that I want to scratch.

the 24” top tube and 20” seat tube aren’t going to be fun are they(I’m 5’10”). The 24 year old frame and Sid 100 will break won’t they (I’m 200lbs).

Having said all that, a stiff alu frame, single speed and v brake set up feels like it’s still be a lot of fun….

talk me out of this mess please.

two-one

Monkey
Dec 15, 2013
Eindhoven, the Netherlands
I used to ride a 1999 model Santa Cruz chameleon, it was my first “real mountain bike”. I loved it.

I rode the small size because all the cool guys rode tiny bikes, there’s an xl on Craigslist right now and I’m getting a very dumb itch that I want to scratch.

the 24” top tube and 20” seat tube aren’t going to be fun are they(I’m 5’10”). The 24 year old frame and Sid 100 will break won’t they (I’m 200lbs).

Having said all that, a stiff alu frame, single speed and v brake set up feels like it’s still be a lot of fun….

It only sounds fun if you enjoy repairing stuff, and will be using it as a gravelbike, otherwise you will wake up to a harsh reality... But that's just my $0.02

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
I get it with some old cars, light, simple, often easy to get handling well enough.

But old bikes, fuck them to hell!

I have an 08 Nicolai Ion which I will keep until it becomes vintage cool, I kept it mostly because I know I won't own another frame that was made as well as that one. I didn't enjoy riding it, coz, not hardtail.
I enjoyed riding my old hardtails but I always knew the geometry was wrong, got my first good one in 2017.

Jozz

Joe Dalton
Apr 18, 2002
SADL

Is it green?

I had that bike set up SS.

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
A local shop kid was just gifted a ‘99 Chameleon, in the dope red color, size large.
He is already riding a few of my Spookys from the same era- I’m pretty sure i have him convinced to build it rigid with some magura rim brakes and one of the many qr King hubsets that people have just abandoned at his shop due to planned obsolescence.
Sure, the seattube is “too long”- but a trials bike you can actually ride across town to spots is always good.

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
Funny, I saw a new chameleon on a bike rack yesterday and reminisced to my girlfriend how much I missed my original , that was one of my favorite hardtails ever.

that xl could make a fun cruiser or pub bike.

edit… search engine works. ‘03 large
IMG_0542.jpeg

Last edited:

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
How much $$ are we talking?

If it's a few hundred, even if you don't use it much, if it makes you feel good seeing it in your bong shed, do it.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
i never get this love for old shit. it’s old shit for a reason.
Joking aside, not everything is crap just because it's old. I have a mid 00s yeti arc hardtail that is just a fun little xc bike. Using modern components makes a huge difference, especially a stem that isn't as long as the cranks and a modern width handlebar. I recently sourced an RS sid that is 26" with a thru axle and 1-1/8 steerer to put on it.

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
Well if it's going to bring a smile to your face, I'd say do it. But probably a lot of phased out parts. Not just wheels, tires, forks, etc. Like can you get a v brake, brake pad? I don't even know. Maybe get a 3D printer while you're at it :)

My first full suspension bike was a 2001 Santa Cruz Superlight. No way in hell I'd buy that again. Or would I? It was pretty sweet. Although my second "proper" hardtail, a 199N something ball burnished GT Zaskar....I may be talked in to....That thing was awesome :D

trib

not worthy of a Rux.
Jun 22, 2009
I had the same model year (and color) as the green one - but never got the rear disk mount.

A HS33 on the back ensured that the wheel was either stopped or moving with little in between.
I also “upgraded” to a Marz drop off, which pushed the bb to the point that cornering was a gamble.

so many bad spec choices, but I loved the frame itself.

Jozz

Joe Dalton
Apr 18, 2002
SADL
I had the same model year as the green one - but never got the rear disk mount. A HS33 on the back ensured that the wheel was either stopped or moving with little in between.
I also “upgraded” to a Marz drop off, which pushed the bb to the point that cornering was a gamble.

so many bad spec choices, but I loved the frame itself.
Same. And at 6'-1" the larges were too small. That's why I ran them SS. They were like large bmx

trib

not worthy of a Rux.
Jun 22, 2009
It only sounds fun if you enjoy repairing stuff, and will be using it as a gravelbike, otherwise you will wake up to a harsh reality... But that's just my $0.02
I get it, but what is there to repair on a single speed with v brakes? If the fork packs in I’d replace it with a cheap rigid (or try source an old pace rigid fork)

FlipSide

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
Bringing these old bikes back to life can be a good idea, but as "something else". For example, they can be great commuters with a rigid fork. That's what I did with my old Voodoo Bizango and I am happy I still have it.

If your intention is to build it up more or less period-correct and use it as originaly intended, don't do it. You'll probably only do a couple of shitty rides and make sure to only use a proper modern bike from now on.

chuffer

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2004
McMinnville, OR
Bringing these old bikes back to life can be a good idea, but as "something else". For example, they can be great commuters with a rigid fork. That's what I did with my old Voodoo Bizango and I am happy I still have it.

If your intention is to build it up more or less period-correct and use it as originaly intended, don't do it. You'll probably only do a couple of shitty rides and make sure to only use a proper modern bike from now on.
I recently grabbed my old salsa a la carte out of storage. Gave it a tune-up, rode it once and noped it up onto the wall as “art.”

Admittedly, part of the problem is me. My back, neck, wrists, shoulders, etc. just can’t handle a rigid hardtail anymore…

Lelandjt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
Breckenridge, CO/Lahaina,HI
i never get this love for old shit. it’s old shit for a reason.
Yeah, even the stuff I drooled over was far from perfect and I knew it then. It was the closest thing available to what I wanted but what I wanted was what my new bikes are now. Almost every ride these days I think, "This is what I always wanted my bikes to feel like." I have no urge to revisit those days of making do with what's available.

If you have extra bike funds burning a hole in your pocket, fill in the holes in your fleet. It is so choice to be able to choose just the right type of bike for a ride and have all those options built as light and perfect as possible. If you've reached that status and still have money to burn, donate it to making better trails. Leave the vintage stuff to guys who are no longer capable of riding well enough to appreciate good stuff so they've moved on to being a collector instead of rider.

4xBoy

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2006
Minneapolis
A friend pulled out his dbr for a road ride couple days ago, if it works why not.

But I have to much stuff, no space, no time, I don't want vintage anything.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001

100% agreed. I got an old-ass mid 1990s Specialized on a lark back when my frame was being replaced under warranty. and my god it was awful.

MonkeyGut

Monkey
Dec 8, 2006
I miss my Gullywogger with full IRD stuffs. The only IRD in this pic is the form. Anyway, a little slacker HT angle, longer TT, and somewhere between 16.5-16.17" stays. Built in 88. Geo decided using my Stumpjumper and the Paul the builder's Proto-Moto. Best trail bike I had until the Monster Fat...
PXL_20230421_200206505.jpg

sethimus

neu bizutch
Feb 5, 2006
not in Whistler anymore :/
Yeah, even the stuff I drooled over was far from perfect and I knew it then. It was the closest thing available to what I wanted but what I wanted was what my new bikes are now. Almost every ride these days I think, "This is what I always wanted my bikes to feel like." I have no urge to revisit those days of making do with what's available.

If you have extra bike funds burning a hole in your pocket, fill in the holes in your fleet. It is so choice to be able to choose just the right type of bike for a ride and have all those options built as light and perfect as possible. If you've reached that status and still have money to burn, donate it to making better trails. Leave the vintage stuff to guys who are no longer capable of riding well enough to appreciate good stuff so they've moved on to being a collector instead of rider.
i rather take my bike places

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
I say.
1712443951701.jpeg

But unless you plan on riding gravel or commuting or just want something ugly enough it won't be stolen from outside the pub don't buy any XL size 26er. Find a small.
For razzing about on and not taking anything too seriously hardtails like the old late 90s chameleons in small with a short stem, 100mm fork and risers were a bazillion times more direct than modern hardtails are. Modern long reach, longer wheelbase, longer fork travel and slacker H/As combined with bigger wheels makes them a lot more stable at speed but the downside is they become an absolute chore to pop the front and bunny hop. If your hardtail riding back in the 90s was anything like mine I'd guess those are probably the traits you'd have liked most about your old Chameleon.
S'pose it also depends what your definition of "fun" is now tho.

Last edited:

trib

not worthy of a Rux.
Jun 22, 2009
I say.
View attachment 210023
But unless you plan on riding gravel or commuting or just want something ugly enough it won't be stolen from outside the pub don't buy any XL size 26er. Find a small.
For razzing about on and not taking anything too seriously hardtails like the old late 90s chameleons in small with a short stem, 100mm fork and risers were a bazillion times more direct than modern hardtails are. Modern long reach, longer wheelbase, longer fork travel and slacker H/As combined with bigger wheels makes them a lot more stable at speed but the downside is they become an absolute chore to pop the front and bunny hop. If your hardtail riding back in the 90s was anything like mine I'd guess those are probably the traits you'd have liked most about your old Chameleon.
S'pose it also depends what your definition of "fun" is now tho.
I loved that small chameleon for general tom foolery, jumps, hops, hacking about downhill- But riding with the seat post at full extension and the seat slammed back on its rails made uphill and flats a chore.

I think for $200 this XL is a steal - but ideally it’d be a size smaller.

Realistically I can’t find a decent “modern” bike for less than 1k, so getting something old and redundant , but fun seems super attractive

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
I loved that small chameleon for general tom foolery, jumps, hops, hacking about downhill- But riding with the seat post at full extension and the seat slammed back on its rails made uphill and flats a chore.

I think for $200 this XL is a steal - but ideally it’d be a size smaller.

Realistically I can’t find a decent “modern” bike for less than 1k, so getting something old and redundant , but fun seems super attractive

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
I have no idea why but I thought I was quoting Gary, mostly because it has 29" wheels and he's fun to wind up.
Well that was a massive failure then. Eh? :drag:
Maybe you didn't realise this but I own bikes with 20" wheels, bikes with 26" wheels, bikes with 27.5" wheels, bikes with 29" wheels and bikes with 700c wheels. I've no idea why you'd think the existence of a 29" wheeled White 901 hardtail would wind me up? Especially as I happened to service one just a couple of weeks back. It represents fairly good value at a grand but from a quick test ride it's really not a particularly "fun" bike to ride.
Do try harder :lazy2: