Quantcast

Talk me out of rekindling my youth via vintage bikes

Jozz

Joe Dalton
Apr 18, 2002
SADL
Well in a turn of events a completely unused, prime condition 2017 size L chameleon went up on craigslist this morning. Last year where they were 650b only I think.

so it’s a kind offer but after a week of back and forth and analysing budgets I bit the bullet and am now the proud owner of a tidy little hardtail.
:picsstfu:

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
I need a bike and don’t want to spend a fortune on it. I’ve owned several mountain bikes over the years. But money gets tighter, bikes get more expensive and time available to go play on expensive toys gets harder to find.

I was merely looking to find a bike that’d bring a little spark of nostalgic joy to riding with my kids
If it's just for regular riding with the kids and it's not too small then sure. Do it but generally you can find a very capable used bike that will be orders of magnitude better than anything that old.

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
What's the travel on that fork?

Asking for a friend... :D
It is 120mm.

This bike was donated to our local trail building non-profit for raising funds towards the pump track. It is 3x9 and has Onyx hubs, XT brakes, full Easton cockpit. Like I said I'll send the bars but I took them off the bike so no gets hurt.

I was going to sell locally but when I stand there and pull up on the saddle, I can feel and hear a slight rock/knock. I've traced it to the shock mount under the top tube. I took it apart and cleaned it all and re-assembled but the knock is still there. I don't know if it's the bolt or the shock or what.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Not necessarily junk nor that old, but I'd like to try a steel Meta HT. 2017ish
A female friend had one of those for a number of years. It replace her FS meta and she never looked back. I always used to ride it for a bit every time we rode together. Simply as it was nice n compact so quite playful and dead nice to wheelie. As with many steel frames once they have decent volume tyres it really wasnt noticeably any more comfortable than the Alu version (which another friend had).

Last edited:

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
I got to spend a couple minutes today riding my old ds bike from ‘97.
Any of you old farts that are afraid to ride old bikes… build them up anyway and lend them to your favorite bike mechanic- kids today don’t get paid enough to have short/steep/stiff playful bikes.
Old 26” hardtails are better than ever in the sanitized trail systems we are building all over the cul de sacs

trib

not worthy of a Rux.
Jun 22, 2009
I got to spend a couple minutes today riding my old ds bike from ‘97.
Any of you old farts that are afraid to ride old bikes… build them up anyway and lend them to your favorite bike mechanic- kids today don’t get paid enough to have short/steep/stiff playful bikes.
Old 26” hardtails are better than ever in the sanitized trail systems we are building all over the cul de sacs
I remember seeing a picture of your various slalom set ups, tyres and wheel options back in the spooky days and just thinking you had it made.
I hope those things still get ridden from time to time