Quantcast

Talk to me about 2007 Solo Air Totem

Nov 4, 2007
Bay Area
I've got one and I really like it. No problems in six months of use. I've always had coil fork before this one but I personally prefer the way the totem solo air feels over the coil version.

FlipSide

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
I had a coil and it was the best feeling fork I ever had. I eventually got rid of it because it had a chronic leaking seals problem. The general procedure is to open it, clean and re-lube...but it wasn't working on mine. The seals were out of specs and they were BO until forever at the distributor. A lot of people on nsmb had the same problem and there was a huge thread about it.

I now have a Boxxer and I'm happy. :)

frorider

Monkey
Jul 21, 2004
cali
RS sent me the solo air to replace my 2 step, about 4 months ago. haven't ridden it much until recently (too busy skiing) but so far it's been good. i like being able to fine-tune it for different terrain. i've had zero leakage issues.

unskilled

Monkey
Jul 12, 2007
it surprises me that the air version is just a little bit lighter than the coil. I was looking at ways to lose weight on my 7point and i was disappointed that it wasn't a larger amount of weight loss. they are sweet forks though.

DHR

Chimp
Sep 4, 2007
I have mine for a year and it's been a great fork, no issues at all. No leaking, no creaking, nothing. I recommend it.

MouseMonkey

Monkey
Jul 29, 2006
Salt Lake City
It seems that the larger stanchion RS forks (Lyrik, Totem) have the potential for pesky seals and bushings. Haven't heard a good explanation why since the 32mm fork seals are great. I think rigidhack is right, either they have funky lowers (seals/bushings) or they don't. If it makes you more confident, it seems that this is almost always covered by warranty.

I have several RS models including the Totem Solo Air and the Lyrik Coil. Both have been terrific forks, although I did just send the Lyrik in for some TLC at BTI after one year of abuse... The bushings were getting a bit ridiculous and they gave me new lowers under warranty. The Totem has been rock-solid since the day I bought it with no problems to speak of.

Both forks work great. Stiff, really plush and tunable. RS air pressures are about 5-10psi too high for the Solo Air models. Run lower pressures and enjoy.

If you like really progressive forks, steer clear. The RS forks have a very linear feel, using a lot of travel and then firming up in the last 20mm or so. Some love it, some don't.

Sir_Crackien

Turbo Monkey
Feb 7, 2004
alex. va. usa.
i have owned a lyric for a little while now (1.5 months) and the thing is mind blowingly smooth. the totem is the big brother to it and should be about the same. one thing i like about it is that its a very low pressure system. i'm 260 and running about 85-90 psi in it. also i get the impression that its pretty flak worthy as well (the totem even more so). i would say go for it.

its about .4 lbs lighter if you wanted to know.