Quantcast

Tattoo

L

luelling

So....I think I may get my first tattoo this weekend. I would like to get a chainring that covers my left shoulder. This will be my first tattoo. Before you hate on it, I've been racing bikes almost 20 years. I'm in this bitch for life.

Any warnings? Thoughts? Fears?

pancho64

Monkey
Jul 28, 2007
be prepared for it to hurt like a bitch...that way if it doesnt hurt so bad u wont be shocked at the amount of pain ur enduring. for my first tattoo i got my entire back done and there are definitely some sensitive spots that are very unpleasant. but shouldnt too bad on your shoulder. just make sure whoever doing it is reputable.

L

luelling

Thanks for the info. I'm gonna shop around on Friday and see which parlors I like. I know to ask for prior pics of work to make sure they do a good job. Is there anything else I should ask? What about sanitation?

Broken_Spoke

Mr. Big Hot Pastrami
Feb 26, 2003
Bozeman, MT
Thanks for the info. I'm gonna shop around on Friday and see which parlors I like. I know to ask for prior pics of work to make sure they do a good job. Is there anything else I should ask? What about sanitation?
Watch them tattooing people to see not only that they change needles but that they also change inks in between people.

kingbee

Monkey
Mar 29, 2004
Ohio
Most states they have to show you that they are changing needles. It will hurt, probably a lot. just keep breathing, and let them know if you need a break.

I am thinking about getting a chain ring tattooed on the inside of my right calf. Every time I get on a bike I end up with a grease mark from my chain ring on my leg. why fight it anymore? Ill just get it tattooed on.

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
Blindly running into cactus
the first one is hard to prepare for because there's nothing like the feeling of that needle cutting you. my first was a big piece on my back and it hurt bad. my second one, on my forearm, didn't hurt nearly as bad because i knew what to expect.

good luck!

DH Diva

Wonderwoman
Jun 12, 2002
Things to look for in a shop:

-Ink should be dispensed from bottles, into tiny disposable cups for each customer and then thrown away

-Look for things like wooden tongue depressors, paper towels, paper or plastic cups (anything that indicates that the artists use disposable items for dispensing and applying inks, vasolines, soap, ect.

-All artists are wearing medical grade nitrile or latex gloves, not the type you can buy at the hardwear store.

-Make sure the studio has an autoclave

-Make sure the tattoo gun itself is removed from a sealed autoclave bag for each customer

-Everything that should be sterile should be unwrapped from autoclave bags in front of you, and all set up should be done in front of you

-Alot of artists will actually cover their gun and line in plastic as an added precaution

-A lot of artists now also wrap their arm in plastic wrap or the same type of bandage they put over the tattoo when it's done

-Look for good attitudes as this usually leads to good bedside manner

-Look for general store cleanliness. Is the floor clean? Is there dust around windows? Are their bottles of spray disinfectant handy?

-Look for germicidal, bactericidal or pathogenic cleaning wipes or sprays at artists stations

-Also, find out how they want you to prepare. A good artist will want you to go eat a meal first, and won't rush you to get it done the minute you walk in the door. Don't take ibuprofen or drink within 24 hours, the artist should mention this also.

Just be smart and use your best judgement, if it looks shady don't have them do your work.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Last night there was a news story about a new ink being developed that is as permanent as the ink today, only it can be broken down with a laser. Not burned off like a laser is used now, but real easy like in case you decide 10 years later a naked hula girl on the forearm was a bad idea.

Or a flaming marshmallow, in my son's case.

Prettym1k3

Turbo Monkey
Aug 21, 2006
In your pants
Frickin' heck yes, man. Welcome to the club.

My fiance' is paying for a few hours of a session for me at my artist. I can't wait. It's been almost a year!

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Contrary to popular belief, tattoos DO NOT make you tough or cool.
It's funny when people find out who my brother is, the first question after is "So how many tattoos do you have?" When I tell them "none, I know better", I get the usual sideways look of confusion.

Remember kids, what is cool when you are 20-30, is not always cool when you are 50-60. Unless it's a panther clawing your shoulder, that has been cool since the dawn of time!

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
So who is your brother?
His name is James McDermott. He used to own Staircase Tattoo in Santa Cruz, then he opened Tattoo DeVille in Vegas, but he decided he missed SC too much, so I think he is going to buy Staircase back.

He has been published quite a few times and is known by a lot of larger named artists (Ed Hardy and he exchanged pieces a few years ago). He has done a lot of needle design and machine designs as well as using things like Photoshop to mold images to fit the body part and such.

This is one of my personal favs:

<edit> He is also known for his Chinese style work like koi and dragons and stuff.

DH Diva

Wonderwoman
Jun 12, 2002
His name is James McDermott. He used to own Staircase Tattoo in Santa Cruz, then he opened Tattoo DeVille in Vegas, but he decided he missed SC too much, so I think he is going to buy Staircase back.

He has been published quite a few times and is known by a lot of larger named artists (Ed Hardy and he exchanged pieces a few years ago). He has done a lot of needle design and machine designs as well as using things like Photoshop to mold images to fit the body part and such.
If one of my siblings were a famous artist I would definetely utilze that hook up. But if it's not your thing, it's not your thing.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
If one of my siblings were a famous artist I would definetely utilze that hook up. But if it's not your thing, it's not your thing.
I have hooked up friends and stuff. He did a skull on my thumb nail that I had for about 3 months before it grew out.

After being in the Navy and seeing many drunken sailors get awful tattoos they regret, I decided it best be left alone. Besides, my son has enough regrettable tattoos for the both of us (see the flaming marshmallow comment earlier, I have a picture posted somewhere).

I did have a hand in the design of the sleeve on my brothers left arm. his right was done by Ed Hardy, both are very nice. I have also done a lot of designs I thought would be cool, but there has never been anything that made me say "That is what i want on my body for the rest of my life!" I'm too fickle, I guess.

pigboy

in a galaxy far, far away
ask people with tattoos where they got theirs and listen to see if the artist did a good job or ignored the customer and/or did a crap job.

since you'll be wearing this artwork FOREVER you want to find an artist who does good work and will work with you instead of doing whatever the eff they feel like doing.

Total Heckler

Beer and Bike Enthusiast
Apr 28, 2005
Santa Cruz, CA
They really don't hurt that bad. I got my whole shoulder done in March. Two 2 hour sessions. It feels like when you have a road rash. But getting it slowly. Afterward it feels like a sunburn. It really isn't bad if you have any tolerance for pain.

Be sure to post pictures when its done!

Quo Fan

don't make me kick your ass
There are definitely places on your body more sensitive to pain than others. My first tattoo was a tribal of 2 facing dragons with the Chinese character for rat between them. The inside of the arm is a very sensitive place. I have a high tolerance for pain, and it hurt like hell.

To get a feel of the kind of pain you are getting yourself into, take a pin and jab it into your skin a bunch of times. The one that hurts the most is the single needle outlining that the artist will do first. When they color or shade, the pain is way less intense.

skin6061

Chimp
Jan 4, 2005
this tat took almost 8 hrs----3 seperate sittings 4hrs being the longest sitting. I looked at the guys art work first, then i checked his schedule to see how busy he was in the coming weeks. In my opnion a busy artist is a good artist. Now as far as pain, it depends where you get the tat at on your body. For me the shoulder blades hurt the most, but the spine hardly hurt at all. That is backwards for some people.

Attachments

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
Paging Jorvik, paging Jorvik, Meat, you're wanted in the lounge. He's the resident tattoo expert, he's got some beauties.
And if you are wanting to get a *shudder*Chinese character*shudder* tattoo make sure you get it from someone who can actually read Chinese/Japanese so you don't end up looking like a spastic.

JeffKill

Monkey
Jun 21, 2006
Charlotte, NC
Tattoo's hurt no matter where you get them. Over bone has to be the worse for me. Especially the ribs & my elbows. No fun. The end result is worth it though.

One thing you have to watch for getting something like a chainring, is its a perfect circle, and on your arm, it will more than likely not look that way. Take a friend with you and have them help you eye it up, make sure it looks right before you let'em put it on you.

And for those of you saying things about tattoo's not making you tuff and all that crap. To each his own. If you dont like them, dont get them. But I can assure you that those of us with tattoo's arent sitting around calling you a pu$$y or thinking any less of you for not having them......

Total Heckler

Beer and Bike Enthusiast
Apr 28, 2005
Santa Cruz, CA
My buddy who has 2 sleeves and his whole back said the under arm around the arm pit hurts the most. Right on the under side of his bicep.

JeffKill

Monkey
Jun 21, 2006
Charlotte, NC
My buddy who has 2 sleeves and his whole back said the under arm around the arm pit hurts the most. Right on the under side of his bicep.
I would have to agree. That definitely ranks right up there with some of the most painful spots. Also the ditch of your arm (opposite from your elbow). :twitch:

pancho64

Monkey
Jul 28, 2007
ribs, spine and over the tail bone (aka right abover ur a$$ crack) hurt the most for me. shoulder blades were relatively painless.

DH Diva

Wonderwoman
Jun 12, 2002
Ditto on the ribs. Also over the kidneys (shudder). Right on the hip bones also smarts pretty good. So far, all my tattoos have been in what I've heard to be soom of the most uncomfortable spots. So I guess that means the next couple won't hurt so bad though! I'm off my bike for another two months due to rotator cuff surgery so I think I might take this opportunity to get some new ink, it's been over a year now since my last piece, so it's time!! :weee:

hydro422

Chimp
May 15, 2007
Ogden City
My chest hurt worse than the ditch, the closer they got to my neck just painfull, and my wrist didn't tickle either, get your first one somewhere with lots of meat

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
My brother got an ankle band in Hawaii using the traditional method of a sharpened tortoise shell and a mallet. He said he had never felt that much pain in his life. He said it felt like someone was sawing his foot off with a dull hacksaw.

I didn't even feel it on my thumb nail. It was cool.

L

luelling

my wife didn't like the chainring on the shoulder idea :( I dunno, maybe shes right. Where would be a good place for one? I want some tattoos that relate to my life, not just patterns that mean nothing. I would like something, like maybe a flag, to link me back to Ireland (my grandparents on my mom's size are both immigrants). I may hold off past this weekend to get the tattoo until I think about it more. I am going to go check shops tomorrow with the wifey (she has several tats)