Quantcast

Taxes and more so school budgets......

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Around here the citizens that live within the school district boundaries vote on their school budget and vote for the school board members once a year.

Is that how it is in your state?

It's always interesting to me because a school budget is the single time every year an average citizen gets to vote on whether their taxes should be raised. Obviously property taxes, state and local taxes aren't effected the only thing effected are the yearly school taxes we pay.

This year our local school budget passed by 12 votes. The average monthly tax increase will be between $10-20/month yet almost 1/2 the voters voted it down. Not to mention there was a separate proposal this year on whether to accept money from the state that wouldn't raise taxes at all yet 800 of the 2000 voters voted it down. I just simply don't understand the mentality.

RANT OVER.

Just so I can understand how do school boards and school taxes work in your state?

chuffer

Turbo Monkey
Sep 2, 2004
McMinnville, OR
Having gone to high school in Orange County NY, I know EXACTLY what you are talking about.

I suspect that a lot of folks without kids dont understand (choose to ignore) that all of the extra-curricular programs that public schools offer to kids have associated costs.

"Organized sports? Why should we have to pay for the neighbor's kids to play baseball?" I always suspected that the same people who say this are those that also say, "These kid's today are so ____!"

X3pilot

Texans fan - LOL
Aug 13, 2007
SoMD
Our school taxes are included in our property taxes. No votes, set by the commonwealth, I think.

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
You get to vote on the tax increases? I don't think thats how Oregon works, we vote on bonds for the schools......you're talking about something different right? I used to vote against everything that would increase my taxes, but now I vote in favor of any increase for the schools.......I figure doing a better job of educating our kids will pay off down the road

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Having gone to high school in Orange County NY, I know EXACTLY what you are talking about.

I suspect that a lot of folks without kids dont understand (choose to ignore) that all of the extra-curricular programs that public schools offer to kids have associated costs.

"Organized sports? Why should we have to pay for the neighbor's kids to play baseball?" I always suspected that the same people who say this are those that also say, "These kid's today are so ____!"
Where did you live in OC NY?

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
You get to vote on the tax increases? I don't think thats how Oregon works, we vote on bonds for the schools......you're talking about something different right? I used to vote against everything that would increase my taxes, but now I vote in favor of any increase for the schools.......I figure doing a better job of educating our kids will pay off down the road
I think it's similar.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
In Newburgh... If you know the area, one of the little neighborhoods off of Rockcut Rd. Used to have a blast riding the aqueduct, MTA and all of the OHV trails in the woods along the 'duct.
Yeah well if I had anytime to ride right now I would be at MTA. I know rockcut RD well I've lived here pretty much my whole life. I went to Pine Bush.

Sherpa

Basking in fail.
Jan 28, 2004
Arkansaw
People vote on the millage rate on property taxes every year around here, and that includes school taxes. Taxes are ~1% of the market value and ~75% of taxes go to schools.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
If the schools don't have money, they can't buy maps, and then they won't know what countries we're bombing and where they are.

Won't someone think of the children?

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
but now I vote in favor of any increase for the schools.......I figure doing a better job of educating our kids will pay off down the road
What good is the money going to do if the teachers suck?

Dartman

Old Bastard Mike
Feb 26, 2003
Richmond, VA
When I grew up in Hamburg, NY my dad would go to school board meeting and try to get them to drop art and music classes so he wouldn't have to pay so much in property taxes. :think:

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
When I grew up in Hamburg, NY my dad would go to school board meeting and try to get them to drop art and music classes so he wouldn't have to pay so much in property taxes. :think:
NY Taxes are oppressive and the only place a person can do anything about it is at through school taxes. It sucks! Seems kind of backwards to me!

Sherpa

Basking in fail.
Jan 28, 2004
Arkansaw
Since i'm older than her, nope.

Remember kids, it is okay to have sex with your teacher, unless you're home schooled.
:stupid:That was my dream as a child, and I still haven't accomplished it. My roommate and a lab TA on the other hand.......

robdamanii

OMG! <3 Tom Brady!
May 2, 2005
Out of my mind, back in a moment.
NJ votes on the school budget yearly.

The problem is that school taxes in my hometown are hideous and they just keep voting the budget through. Sadly, most of the expenses that you can find if you really dig through the budget are awfully frivolous. Cafeteria workers that make 6 digits and drive BMWs? Full time security guards that are on staff round the clock? A parking cop whose SOLE job is to drive around the parking lot and watch people's expensive vehicles?

I've voted no on the budget every year I've been able to vote. This year I voted no, yet the budget still passed even with an 18&#37; increase. Oh well, at least the township pool didn't pass.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I don't really see the difference between 'schools' and 'forced labor camps' :confused: they could at least be generating some of their own budget by the kids who are gonna wind up serving me food.

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
all this whining about the American school system yet I dont see a robotic rover on Mars with a Chinese or EU flag on it..

Hell, I dont even see a crater from any of those countries.