Quantcast

TdF: Increase finish time to 3km out?

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
I saw the interview with Tyler and he suggested, especially on the flat stages, that they should extend the finish to 3km out so the GCers can stay out of the way of the sprinters.

Whatcha think?

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
Well, it would help Hamilton out a ton, he can't seem to stay on the bike.

Maybe not a bad idea...how far back to you need to go though? The sprinters are already jockeying for position at 3k out.

Morryjg

Mr. Ho Jangles
May 9, 2003
Littleton
If they would not have made that TTT rule about not loosing more than 3 minutes then they wouldn't have such a clusterF in the peloton. The race is always going to be dangerous when you try to cram several hundred riders doing 30+ mph onto a narrow European street that 300 years old. Let's just extend the crash rule to the last 40 or 50 km then they won't have to worry about crashes in the peloton as they start trying to catch breakaway groups.

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
I agree more with Lance's idea of having another individual TT the first week. That would put lots of people's lofty idea of finishing on the podium out of possibility and then every team wouldn't be up front in the peloton.

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
If the NASCAR guys can drive all bunched up with restrictor plates then the peloton can deal. Makes for exciting race viewing.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
Heidi said:
I agree more with Lance's idea of having another individual TT the first week. That would put lots of people's lofty idea of finishing on the podium out of possibility and then every team wouldn't be up front in the peloton.
I like seeing riders who have no chance at the final yellow getting a shot at it early on. *shrugs*

Heidi

Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
LordOpie said:
I like seeing riders who have no chance at the final yellow getting a shot at it early on. *shrugs*
Yah, but when EVERY team thinks they have the guy, it's dangerous. 8 Phonak riders, 9 Postal riders, 9 T-Mobile riders, 9 Euskatel riders, 9 CSC riders......too many people battling everyday.

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
Heidi said:
Yah, but when EVERY team thinks they have the guy, it's dangerous. 8 Phonak riders, 9 Postal riders, 9 T-Mobile riders, 9 Euskatel riders, 9 CSC riders......too many people battling everyday.
Not a roadie, but isnt that kind of the point?

Heidi

Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
BurlySurly said:
Not a roadie, but isnt that kind of the point?
No, usually only the people with a chance of winning the GC keep their entire team on the front of the peloton.

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
Heidi said:
No, usually only the people with a chance of winning the GC keep their entire team on the front of the peloton.

But I mean, at the beginning of the tour, every team is gunning for the win right?

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
Heidi said:
isn't that generally after they hit the mountains? I mean, until then, the other teams are looking for points, stage wins, team exposure. I'd never know who some of these guys were or the various exciting finishes if they weren't "allowed" to be upfront.

If the TT happened early and pretty much eliminated half the riders, then how would those teams build up to compete in years to come? There'd be no point in them even entering, their sponsors would disappear.

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
Early TT or not all those guys would still be in the race. Jan-T-mobile, Tyler-Phonak, Lance-Postal, Levi-Rabobank, Mayo**-Euskatel, Heras**-Liberty Segundos. Then there is Simoni**-Saeco and Basso**-CSC.

Awful strong field this year.

Think Bob Roll said it that the tour lacks a strong sprinter team to take control and stretch the field in the last kilometers.

**Climbers that believe they could make up any lost time in the mountains.

Motionboy2

Calendar Dominator
Apr 23, 2002
Broomfield, Colorado
I think it is cool to see some of the young guys on the podium, but it is bad to have so many crashes. Why is it that there are so many this year anyhow? It seems like more than in the past...or am I wrong?

I think that regaurdless of the Yellow jersey they will battle it out in the beginning flat stages just so they can have a stage win under their belt.

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
Motionboy2 said:
Why is it that there are so many this year anyhow? It seems like more than in the past...or am I wrong?
Wumpus said:
Think Bob Roll said it that the tour lacks a strong sprinter team to take control and stretch the field in the last kilometers.
All the wet weather has made the roads really slick, and just plain stupid riding.