Quantcast

TdF Stage 6 - Troyes to Nancy

motomike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 19, 2005
North Carolina
DRB said:
IF Vino can make time in the mountains???? What makes you think he can do that?

I think that this race is in for a big Discovery smack in the face on Sunday (stage 10).
ok so Lance will be the man, but I also think that Vino is going to surprise everybody. Remember 2 years ago? He was the only one to stick with Lance. Plus, he should be super confident after winning his country's nat'l title.....if winning the Kazakilaky title is prestigious or not, you decide.

I want to see Ullrich leading out Vino in the mountains! That would be crazy! But then again, Lance will probably blow by them like it was nothing, again. :dancing:

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
motomike said:
ok so Lance will be the man, but I also think that Vino is going to surprise everybody. Remember 2 years ago? He was the only one to stick with Lance. Plus, he should be super confident after winning his country's nat'l title.....if winning the Kazakilaky title is prestigious or not, you decide.

I want to see Ullrich leading out Vino in the mountains! That would be crazy! But then again, Lance will probably blow by them like it was nothing, again. :dancing:

He may have the ability, but does he have the team? The team is the key in this race.

Leethal

Turbo Monkey
Oct 27, 2001
Avondale (Phoenix)
I think that this race is in for a big Discovery smack in the face on Sunday (stage 10).[/QUOTE]

The last climb is like 30 miles from the finish on that stage so I think getting time on any of the conteders will be pretty difficult as they can regroup after the climb.

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
Leethal said:
The last climb is like 30 miles from the finish on that stage so I think getting time on any of the conteders will be pretty difficult as they can regroup after the climb.
Stage 10.... The last climb is the last 30km of the stage.... There will be no regrouping.

biker3

Turbo Monkey
Watch for Iban Mayo. The guy has the ability to drop EVERYONE in the field including Lance depending on how well he's feeling. If this guy was on a better team he would have easily given lance a run the last few years. Member in 2003? He pretty much DEMOLISHED the field in the mtns. The guy's climbing acceleration is amazing.

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
biker3 said:
Watch for Iban Mayo. The guy has the ability to drop EVERYONE in the field including Lance depending on how well he's feeling. If this guy was on a better team he would have easily given lance a run the last few years. Member in 2003? He pretty much DEMOLISHED the field in the mtns. The guy's climbing acceleration is amazing.
Or remember how he finished 40 minutes behind the field in Stage 13 last year, after he tried to quit the stage?

As for 2003, he had the awesome day on the Alpe d' Huez (2'12" up) and a decent day on Stage 15 (35" up) but otherwise he either finished with Armstrong or behind him. Not to mention almost 4 minutes behind on the time trial where Lance imploded.

He MIGHT be good for a stage win but the overall? He is already almost 6 minutes behind right now.

Look I don't mean to rain on everyone's parade. But wishing there was a real contender doesn't make one. Every year it is the exact samething. So and so is the real challenger to Armstrong and is going to really push him to the brink.... but in the end its all just BS. The only rider that has pushed Armstrong anywhere is himself. Including 2003 when he came hurt and under prepared, and not one of them could take advantage of it.

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
Westy said:
My money is on Vino in the mountains.
Why?
Did you happen to catch the tour last year?
Lance shows up to win the Tour.
He shows up at Dauphine for training.
Lance is gonna explode in the mountains one more time for all the naysayers.
He proves it year after year, and people still wanna bet against him.
Its like picking Buffalo to win the Superbowl. :blah:
Vino is strong and may have a good chance at second.
I am curious to see if Basso is on form as well.
I hate to say it, but I just can't see Ulrich hanging in the mountains this year.

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Jeremy R said:
Why?
I hate to say it, but I just can't see Ulrich hanging in the mountains this year.
The obvious is just not obvious to some.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Jeremy R said:
Why?
Vino was not in the tour last year.
In the past years Lance has gotten his advantage in the TT and really just defended himself in the mountains. Last year Lance really only had one regular mountain stage where he put time on anyone. There is no stone cold guarantee that Armstrong will win it, that is what makes it interesting.

biker3

Turbo Monkey
DRB said:
Or remember how he finished 40 minutes behind the field in Stage 13 last year, after he tried to quit the stage?

As for 2003, he had the awesome day on the Alpe d' Huez (2'12" up) and a decent day on Stage 15 (35" up) but otherwise he either finished with Armstrong or behind him. Not to mention almost 4 minutes behind on the time trial where Lance imploded.

He MIGHT be good for a stage win but the overall? He is already almost 6 minutes behind right now.

Look I don't mean to rain on everyone's parade. But wishing there was a real contender doesn't make one. Every year it is the exact samething. So and so is the real challenger to Armstrong and is going to really push him to the brink.... but in the end its all just BS. The only rider that has pushed Armstrong anywhere is himself. Including 2003 when he came hurt and under prepared, and not one of them could take advantage of it.

I didnt say anything about him being the overall. I said in my post his team is way too weak for him to win. And yes he killed it in alpe d' huez. All I said was watch out for him in the mtns. Mayo is an insane climber whether you like it or not. I like lance and want him to win as much as the next guy but his team plays a HUGE HUGE HUGE role throughout the tour. Pound for pound when healthy Mayo is the only guy who can truly lay it down on lance.

He tried to quit the stage because he was in the huge crash that banged him up really badly. Lance has been incredibly lucky in his career to avoid most crashes.

COmtbiker12

Turbo Monkey
Dec 17, 2003
Colorado Springs
biker3 said:
I didnt say anything about him being the overall. I said in my post his team is way too weak for him to win. And yes he killed it in alpe d' huez. All I said was watch out for him in the mtns. Mayo is an insane climber whether you like it or not. I like lance and want him to win as much as the next guy but his team plays a HUGE HUGE HUGE role throughout the tour. Pound for pound when healthy Mayo is the only guy who can truly lay it down on lance.

He tried to quit the stage because he was in the huge crash that banged him up really badly. Lance has been incredibly lucky in his career to avoid most crashes.
And then of course there was the 03 or 04 tour (don't remember) where he busted out some cyclocross from his xc skills in order to avoid a crash. :cool: