Quantcast

Tea fire, SB trails are toast.

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
well, cold springs for sure, and probably San Ysidro, Tunnel is under threat. If you were thinking of riding here this weekend, think again:disgust1:

Mouse Jockey

Chimp
Apr 17, 2004
San Diego
well, cold springs for sure, and probably San Ysidro, Tunnel is under threat. If you were thinking of riding here this weekend, think again:disgust1:

I just paged you over at MTBR regarding our riding plans for Thanksgiving. Really big bad bummer. :plthumbsdown:

Family lives in the San Roque and Goleta areas, I've been talking to them.

Thanks for the update. Do you want to update over at MTBR?

Zark

Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
I still down to ride T-day weekend, what we ride will kinda depend on conditions ;)

Its sounds bad right at the base of town. The Riviera and Sycamore Canyon and getting F'd up....but one wind change anf the whole mountain goes up.....

Mouse Jockey

Chimp
Apr 17, 2004
San Diego
I used to live on Sycamore Canyon road right below the rock slide that closed the road. Yea, we'll see about T-day riding. Man, I am bummed.

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
dude, that sux. i heard about it last night. friends of mine were going up for a wedding, but that has been called off.

best of luck to the SB Krew.

5150dhbiker

Turbo Monkey
Nov 5, 2007
Santa Barbara, CA
best of luck to the SB Krew.
Thanks! Helped some friends evacuate last night (my home is still a ways away so I'm good for now). I guess the fire burned right up to the back of my friend's house though and stopped, haha.

Ya...trails will be interesting when they open them up again! I think tunnel will be ok, but CS is gone for sure and I'm 99% sure San Ysidro (sp?) is gone also.

Heading out there right now to take some super sweet photos (possibly with Pat...gonna call him, lol).

5150dhbiker

Turbo Monkey
Nov 5, 2007
Santa Barbara, CA
BAD news :(

So, me and my friends are a bunch of idiots and decided to drive along E. Camino Ciello tonight and down Gibralter. It's going to be a LONG time before Gibralter is open again so we can ride the trails.

There are rocks EVERYWHERE, propane tanks on the ground, downed power lines, charred remains of random stuff, and part of it is still burning. Driving down it was probably the dumbest thing we've done in a while but it was quite interesting. Now you look out and theres no bushes or homes for a ways.

There's for sure a good reason why it's closed! We were just lucky that we did not see any cops on the drive down!

Zark

Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
My friend Rowee lost the house she was staying at (faculty housing for Westmont)
Best of luck to everyone effected by the fire.

Abstrakt51

Monkey
Oct 11, 2006
OC
Saddens me to hear this. Although I'm not directly affected by the fires, us folks living in SoCal just lost some of the most scenic as well as best DH riding that we had left, at least for awhile.

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
Trails are fine. Lower CS and maybe a couple other non-biking trails got singed in the foothills. Gibralter will probably be more affected than the trails from washouts and whatnot.

5150dhbiker

Turbo Monkey
Nov 5, 2007
Santa Barbara, CA
Ya, I'm amazed...they're fine! Lower CS is singed but not that badly. Hopefully Gibralter will be open soon so we can start riding again! Until then, there's always Knapps :)