Quantcast

Team Maxxis DH team to ride Ellsworth

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
I think I threw $5 into that hat to see Shaums jump. For it's day it was impressive...especially after you're 1/2 in the bag watching pro slalom in it's heyday.

-ska todd
That was the best slalom race that I have ever witnessed.
#32 seed Eric Penson knocked out #1 Palmer and then Palmer broke his helmet over his knee. He advanced all the way and finally got knocked out by Tomac in the quarters. That course made for great racing. And to relate it to this thread, Penson raced for that Ellsworth team when they ran those Zzyxx forks back in the day.:twitch:

Feb 8, 2007
(New to board. This topic made me register.)

I owned an 01 Dare for a brief period. The down tube felt like an egg shell. I never broke the frame, but I had to carry a box of shock mount bolts on every ride. Bent them daily. I was so afraid to ride that bike hard - for fear of breaking it. I was always hearing stories of broken Ells and how weak they were and how everyone got screwed. I know it sounds weird, but it jacked with my noggin and killed my confidence. I felt like a douche riding an over-priced (I didn't even pay retail for it), burling LOOKING frame as if it were an XC bike. And then there's the ball smashing swing arm thingy.... I just ended up selling the frame and buying a bike I could beat on with some confidence - for a fraction of the price. Now I'm only half the douche I was back then.

Hulkamaniac

Monkey
Oct 10, 2001
Germantown, MD
I was standing in that inside corner too. That was a crazy jump. I have never seen the video.
Ha, small world, eh? I was a mere 16 year old kid watching in amazement at that slalom race, as it was truly the first real dh and slalom events I had witnessed. I can still see Shaums doing that jump in my mind, me looking up and watching the tires and bottom bracket, and soles of his shoes pass right over me! And watching his bottom bracket break and someone running out to grab it.........classic!

Cant Climb

Turbo Monkey
May 9, 2004
That seven springs DS in 98 went into the woods a bit, kind of gave it a little mountainbike feel instead of all BMX... I liked the 99 course a bit more though....crazy tight berms at the beginning, was cool seeing pros rips thoose.....both courses were built by Jay DeJesus...

Palmer was in the bathroom after the 98 DS trying to break everything into pieces....

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
I was there both years. Blew my ACL out a the end of my qualifying run in slalom. I put my foot down as I skidded to a stop. It caught in a gopher hole and popped. The people at the end said "Your tire blew" .

But yeah, I've got a cheesy pic of March in the air on that hip about to land on Hulkamaniac and ChrisKring from my disposable camera. That was the best slalom course I've ever gotten to ride. Thanks Jay.

That was the day of Pinson there. Cornball safety helmet with a car mount cell phone antenna from a Jetta on back. Rippin' slalom on a Ellsworth w/ a ZZyyxx.

And nobody's even mentioned the GT Semi!!!

SinatorJ

Monkey
Jul 9, 2002
AZ
I think I threw $5 into that hat to see Shaums jump. For it's day it was impressive...especially after you're 1/2 in the bag watching pro slalom in it's heyday.

-ska todd
That was one of my Fav nationals when I lived back east. Palm tried a 360, crashed then walked off dragging bike behind.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
I was actually there, in person, at Seven Springs when Shaums did that jump. I've spoke with him many times since about that at local races, he remembers that jump quite well......cause he racked himself quite good on it! More importantly, I was standing in the corner of the crowd, leaning right up against the soft fence, that he jumped over from the face of the double to the hip transition. I always wondered what video that showed up in, but nobody could ever tell me for sure. Now that I know, I gotta track it down and remind myself of the old newbie to dh/high school years were like!!!!
I was standing on that fence as well! Pretty cool thing to see in person, right at the lift house for the alipine medows slope...Same day i broke my arm and had to have it stiched up, even palm told me it looked gnarly:poster_oops:

Rogue Rider

Chimp
Jul 31, 2006
The "old" Ellsworth did suffer from the issues mentioned earlier in this thread. But, it is a new executive staff (with a customer service focus), new/additonal engineers, in-house fab and manufacturing, and all newly redesign frames, I think that Ellsworth has made some huge strides in trying to change it's image.

As a dealer, I can honestly say that it is working.

The Maxxis DH Team is probably going to ride new frames that have yet to be released; perhaps modified Rogues with more DH race specific geometry...a benefit of in-house R+D.

Give them a chance -

BTW, Bender hasn't broken his Rogue..

- Mondo

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog
The "old" Ellsworth did suffer from the issues mentioned earlier in this thread. But, it is a new executive staff (with a customer service focus), new/additonal engineers, in-house fab and manufacturing, and all newly redesign frames, I think that Ellsworth has made some huge strides in trying to change it's image.

As a dealer, I can honestly say that it is working.

The Maxxis DH Team is probably going to ride new frames that have yet to be released; perhaps modified Rogues with more DH race specific geometry...a benefit of in-house R+D.

Give them a chance -

BTW, Bender hasn't broken his Rogue..

- Mondo

good comments until the bender mention, here we go...I like bender i dont like bender he i has a lot of skill...but he crashes alot...:plthumbsdown:

ChrisKring

Turbo Monkey
Jan 30, 2002
Grand Haven, MI
Yeah, that was back when DH was big. Palmer with the bus with the stereo and trailer. All the "factory teams".

We pulled into the parking lot at that race at 3am on Wednseday night. We were so tired and didn't have a clue where anything was at so we just parked. We crashed out in my buddies conversion van. 8am we had someone pounding on the window. We were parked right in the middle of an asle in the pits. Too funny.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Yeah, that was back when DH was big. Palmer with the bus with the stereo and trailer. All the "factory teams".

We pulled into the parking lot at that race at 3am on Wednseday night. We were so tired and didn't have a clue where anything was at so we just parked. We crashed out in my buddies conversion van. 8am we had someone pounding on the window. We were parked right in the middle of an asle in the pits. Too funny.

That first year i camped in the "grotto" up on the hill in a Wal-Mart tent in the pouring rain. I slept in a sieve. I was cold and wet every night and wound up sleeping in my car the last 2 nights and running it almost out of gas drying out.

GOOD TIMES!! :clapping:

kieram

Chimp
Sep 13, 2006
talked to cam cole and he said him and luke are quite likely riding custom frames for the season

Hulkamaniac

Monkey
Oct 10, 2001
Germantown, MD
Wasn't that thing just killer?!?! I was walking through the pits late one night on my way back to my sleeping quarters...a black lifted chevy suburban...and one of the GT mechanics started chatting it up with me. He was mud prepping the two dhi's (peaty and ec).....remember, they had "experimental" written on them.....and basically introduced me to Michelin tires by giving me the run down on their soft rubber compound and different ways to cut the tires for the conditions. I was soaking it all in as a completely newbie should, then he just hands over two sets of michelin dh tires (2.2s) to me, both fresh and unused!!! Will never forget that guys gesture, tho I can't remember his name for the life of me.........but his british accent and buzz cut sticks out in my memory.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Hah..doesn't quite top when Maxxis suddenly came on the scene in 95 and at Helen, GA were literally handing out a pair of DH tires to every single rider that walked by the tent.

manhattanprjkt83

Rusty Trombone
Jul 10, 2003
Nilbog

hahah yeah he was rocking the big gold bus/sequin outfiat at that point, i think i have some old film pics of some of the DS/DH that occured that year...green palm manitou remember that bad boy.:monkeydance:

Hulkamaniac

Monkey
Oct 10, 2001
Germantown, MD
Hah..doesn't quite top when Maxxis suddenly came on the scene in 95 and at Helen, GA were literally handing out a pair of DH tires to every single rider that walked by the tent.
While I didn't get them for free, the Maxxis guys sold me a pair of Mofo DH's at the first year of 7 Springs for a whopping $15.....I thought those things were the sh!t, until I mounted them and realized the rear left no mud clearance and rubbed the chainstay yoke of my c-dale 700 frame when I slightly knocked the rim out of true!!!

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
While I didn't get them for free, the Maxxis guys sold me a pair of Mofo DH's at the first year of 7 Springs for a whopping $15.....I thought those things were the sh!t, until I mounted them and realized the rear left no mud clearance and rubbed the chainstay yoke of my c-dale 700 frame when I slightly knocked the rim out of true!!!
ditto. wore through the frame of my Schwinn....hah hah!!!

_bp

Monkey
Apr 20, 2004
Annandale
... then he just hands over two sets of michelin dh tires (2.2s) to me, both fresh and unused!!! Will never forget that guys gesture, tho I can't remember his name for the life of me.........but his british accent and buzz cut sticks out in my memory.
That guy gave me some tires too at MT Snow, in I think '98. They were slightly used though.

Anyone know what Pinson is up to these days?

Feb 13, 2006
Big f'ing deal, they change their "image." So what? The "image" now is improved. What the F does that have to do with the quality of their bikes and the arrogant, condescending attitude of Tony Ellsworth, who still runs things there?

Dude, if you're a HellsWorst dealer, no wonder you're eager to think they have shaped up. Otherwise it's a major embarrassment to you.

Oh, and Bender hasn't broken anything because he's barely healed from his massive injuries. Why don't you try reconnecting with the facts, eh?

CRoss

Turbo Monkey
Nov 20, 2006
The Ranch
This might be a new marketing idea from Maxxis. Put their tires on crappy bikes and have their riders get some good results.

I can see the bike magazine ads now "Our tires can make any bike good"

Zutroy

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2004
Ventura,CA
Ahhh yeah, seven springs.....knocked myself silly there practicing DH in that rock garden.....

Here is some pics i found.........

DylanDeanDesign

Turbo Monkey
Dec 10, 2004
San Diego area, California USA
how do you know that? has anyone here ridden a Rouge or even seen the quality of the frame? sure it was a business decision, but if your business is racing you're not going to use sh*t equipment.

hell i thought i was on MTBR for a second.
I'm not going to get in a piss match w/ anyone... & don't want to bad mouth anyone or any company on an open forum (although i might have unintentionally in the past)... so i'm not going to elaborate .... but i stand by my comment... YES I"M SURE IT WAS A BUSINESS DECISION.

also if you haven't noticed... Team Maxxis is more of a XC oriented team these days (ok... a Geoff Kabush oriented team).... long gone are the glory days of Cheri Elliot, April Lawyer, Derin Stockton, John Kirkaldie, Colin Bailey, etc when DH ruled the team

Their business isn't racing... their business is selling product & making money. racing is just a marketing tool

ok... so maybe i elaborated a little more... but that's it! :D

Was Ellsworth bought by Litespeed (or whoever owns litespeed)? SOrry if this has already been answered.

i'm pretty sure the only association w/ Litespeed is that Litespeed apparently makes the ti frames for Ellsworth, or so i've heard. but don't quote me on it.. cause i don't know for sure (... & don't really care. ;) )

L

luelling

I was actually there, in person, at Seven Springs when Shaums did that jump. I've spoke with him many times since about that at local races, he remembers that jump quite well......cause he racked himself quite good on it! More importantly, I was standing in the corner of the crowd, leaning right up against the soft fence, that he jumped over from the face of the double to the hip transition. I always wondered what video that showed up in, but nobody could ever tell me for sure. Now that I know, I gotta track it down and remind myself of the old newbie to dh/high school years were like!!!!
Did you have the bike with Manitou 7" TPC fork? I remember there being a guy with one of those on the edge. If I had two VHS players I would copy the videos for you

ekozy39

Monkey
Apr 27, 2005
That was the best slalom race that I have ever witnessed.
#32 seed Eric Penson knocked out #1 Palmer and then Palmer broke his helmet over his knee. He advanced all the way and finally got knocked out by Tomac in the quarters. That course made for great racing. And to relate it to this thread, Penson raced for that Ellsworth team when they ran those Zzyxx forks back in the day.:twitch:
haha. that's funny. i actually raced eric "the crow" in the round of 16 at that race. i was 16th seed, and caught a rash of sh_t from the guys for falling during my run. all i had to do was follow him down too..i think it was those crow sounds he would make that threw me off!

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
Headliners for sure.

Somebody said its another movie but the jump just posted from Seven Springs is not it. It must be another jump where his crank also falls off because the one I mentioned is in Headliners as I have never seen or owned the Qranc video Outter Extremeties.

DH Diva

Wonderwoman
Jun 12, 2002
If they were going to ride a foes, I'd think they would be riding the Mono, which the pro riders (well the kiwi ones, the ones faster than the yankees) prefer over the 2-1
You mean the Mono that is no longer in production?? The 2:1 Mono is the only DH bike Brent is producing for 2007.