Quantcast

Team Maxxis DH team to ride Ellsworth

Instigator

ass balancer
Aug 22, 2001
Rochester, NY
In an effort to embarress myself, I submit this photo of my first Dare frame. It lasted me a long time sine it was my "all mountain" frame and not DH. How about that Jacked up seat for XCing :)

kieram

Chimp
Sep 13, 2006
Regardless, they don't make the traight mono any more so a 2007 pro team couldn't rebadge them with the "Ellsworth" name now could they?
can still be built to order you will just have to wait a bit. and yea, old mono, far better than 2:1

General Lee

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2003
The 802
guess we'll have to wait and see. . . . i remember there being plenty of sceptics in 2003 when Iron Horse decided to field a world cup team when they were not a major player on the scene and had yet to produce a fully capable, high-end race bike.

they did okay

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Only they ran a team for years on the spectacular failure lovingly known as the sam greenman special.

Their team riders rode on foes, intenses, chumbas, profiles etc before they got their rig right. Whn they got it right, it turned out to be by licensing a design fantastic 3rd party designer. Best decision they ever made, and it is now paying off for them in a big way.

I don't see elsworth 1) having a great bike their first few years and 2) hiring a great 3rd party engineer if they stick with it. My assumption is that it's probably a 1 or 2 year deal to remind us they still exist.

General Lee

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2003
The 802
yeah. . . i'm not so optimistic either. i'll be surprised if they ride legitimate "Ellsworths" for the entire season.

a friend of mine worked for ellsworth the past few years and he was always tyrying to convince me to ride those bikes. apparently he said Tony was "real interested" in redesigning the DH models to be more competitive with modern designs. Not sure where that stands now as he gave me a call in august to say he had taken a job with intense and was psyched to be working for "a real bike company."

my only prediction is that the team bike can't possibley be worse than the Haro . . . or can it:disgust:

ridetilludie

Chimp
Nov 21, 2006
Renton
The "old" Ellsworth did suffer from the issues mentioned earlier in this thread. But, it is a new executive staff (with a customer service focus), new/additonal engineers, in-house fab and manufacturing, and all newly redesign frames, I think that Ellsworth has made some huge strides in trying to change it's image.

As a dealer, I can honestly say that it is working.

The Maxxis DH Team is probably going to ride new frames that have yet to be released; perhaps modified Rogues with more DH race specific geometry...a benefit of in-house R+D.

Give them a chance -

BTW, Bender hasn't broken his Rogue..

- Mondo
After wading thru all the crap some pertinate info.

DH Diva

Wonderwoman
Jun 12, 2002
regardless, the old one is still better than the new one
And that is relevant to this thread how? If that's your educated opinion based on riding both bikes that's fine, I'm just curious how it relates to Ellsworth sponsoring Maxxis?

Akula_7

Monkey
Nov 15, 2004
Not sure wheter anyone mentioned it but the 2006 Junior World Champion, Cameron Cole is riding for MAXXIS in 2007. Now that is a serious problem for that kid. Although at least there is plenty of clear toptube space on a Lahar for a FAT Ellsworth sticker.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
My guess is Ellsworth will go simple, guinea pig the Petespeed for hayes on a basic single pivot...and hopefully get around some of their engineering issues with lots of back-up frames.
If it works, Ellsworth will hit gold in 08 selling "Race proven" Petespeeds and stay in business another year regardless of customer service.

slobeone

Chimp
Dec 1, 2004
Only they ran a team for years on the spectacular failure lovingly known as the sam greenman special.

Their team riders rode on foes, intenses, chumbas, profiles etc before they got their rig right. Whn they got it right, it turned out to be by licensing a design fantastic 3rd party designer. Best decision they ever made, and it is now paying off for them in a big way.

I don't see elsworth 1) having a great bike their first few years and 2) hiring a great 3rd party engineer if they stick with it. My assumption is that it's probably a 1 or 2 year deal to remind us they still exist.
Rennie won the world cup overall in 03 on a production SGS.......
Mr. Hill won the jr. downhill world championships in 03 on a production SGS......
scary

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Rennie won the world cup overall in 03 on a production SGS.......
Mr. Hill won the jr. downhill world championships in 03 on a production SGS......
scary
You haven't been around the bike scene very long, have you?

This is not the SGS I speak of.

This is (2000).

Or even better yet...the 1999 that came stock with a risse trixxxy. Seriously, try and do some research before you attempt to be a smart ass.

slobeone

Chimp
Dec 1, 2004
And those SGS's weren't exactly production either. Anytime a drill and some extra aluminum is bolted on something stops being "production".
settle down i was just throwing it out there. but i don't believe there was anything bolted on in scotland 03.

slobeone

Chimp
Dec 1, 2004
You haven't been around the bike scene very long, have you?

This is not the SGS I speak of.

This is (2000).

Or even better yet...the 1999 that came stock with a risse trixxxy. Seriously, try and do some research before you attempt to be a smart ass.
i was purely speaking of the Hill era and in 03 they were not riding anything special. oh and by the way . . . waaaaaaaaaa

General Lee

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2003
The 802
i was purely speaking of the Hill era and in 03 they were not riding anything special. oh and by the way . . . waaaaaaaaaa
it was not '03 stock. What DW did to the stock '03 bikes to make them world cup level over the course of that season was made available to the public in 2004; the first year they released a "real" dh bike by modern standards.

at the time the team was announced, Iron Horse did not have a bike that reflected their racing ambitions (have a look at Fraser's pic), and had until that point fielded a small american team on rebadged intense and profile frames. Thank goodness ska todd, dw, and the rest of the folks at iron horse put their best foot forward from that day forth.

i'm not making predictions with ellsworth, but iron horse definitely showed what is possible.

haro on the other hand . . . .

_bp

Monkey
Apr 20, 2004
Annandale
Why is everyone so hard on the Haro? As far as I can tell, there is little difference between the magnum and a Morewood or an Orange, besides the street cred. and about $2000.

davetrump

Turbo Monkey
Jul 29, 2003
Why is everyone so hard on the Haro? As far as I can tell, there is little difference between the magnum and a Morewood or an Orange, besides the street cred. and about $2000.

that is supposed to be funny right

if you are serious please go back and finish your homework before making foolish comments

anyone who was around the race circuit when mick hanna rode that bike (or saw anyone else who had one) would understand what a pile of crap that bike was... so much so that when mic went to WC's in europe he told haro the airlines "lost" his bike and borrowed kovarik backup M3... and on two other occasions raced national rounds on something else because the haro had blown up again (raced a cove at idaho NCS).

but it look like brand X so they must be the same :poster_oops:

offtheedge

Monkey
Aug 26, 2005
LB
that is supposed to be funny right

if you are serious please go back and finish your homework before making foolish comments

anyone who was around the race circuit when mick hanna rode that bike (or saw anyone else who had one) would understand what a pile of crap that bike was... so much so that when mic went to WC's in europe he told haro the airlines "lost" his bike and borrowed kovarik backup M3... and on two other occasions raced national rounds on something else because the haro had blown up again (raced a cove at idaho NCS).

but it look like brand X so they must be the same :poster_oops:

they couldn't even make it look good, much less work.

_bp

Monkey
Apr 20, 2004
Annandale
I could care less if Mic liked it or even rode it. I am making the comment, because people on this list like to worship bikes like orange and morewood, but knock bikes that basically are the same 15-year old design.

I will also not say that Haro is at the same caliber as many of the other bikes on the market. But it is about $2000 less than most of the other bikes on the market. Good job Haro for making DH accessable to those who may not have 5k to drop on a bike, or who have some hookup.

So explain to me, what specifically Mic Had problems with. And explain to me the difference between the Haro and the other bikes I mentioned. And do your research. I wouldn't want you to post something foolish.

SLanD3r

Chimp
Apr 6, 2006
maybe i'm missing something but i think he already answered you... his post is implying the haro's are not reliable.

I don't know if you feel the same way but if some pro is avoiding the bike he's getting paid to ride like the plague, that might be a bike you would want to stay away from.

Feb 10, 2003
A, A
So explain to me, what specifically Mic Had problems with. And explain to me the difference between the Haro and the other bikes I mentioned. And do your research. I wouldn't want you to post something foolish.
Mick specifically would break approx. 1 swing arm per 3 runs on a given course and if the course was rough (idaho 05) he would easily run through 2 in practice.

The geometry and shock ratio also were extremely lacking and if your doing your research again you will find that haro is not making that bike anymore.

So to recap against Morewood or Orange...they dont use quality construction in manufacturing or design, they arent produced anymore, they dont work even remotely similarly (due to completely different pivot location and shock ratios), and they are an extreme amount heavier (light weight is the biggest selling point to a single pivot bike) without any gain in reliability....did I leave anything out.

When did someone mention the gearbox bike being raced by maxxis?
or is that speculation?