Quantcast

Tech Question RE: BB's

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
Okay I'm kind of new to this whole BMX thing. I have a DK General Lee 24". Anybody know what size bottom bracket it takes? The BB that's in it now has loose ball bearings and I swear some are missing and the races are all chewed up. It ain't pretty or smooth, that's for sure.

I'd like to replace it with sealed bearings. So that's the next question. Can I install a new BB without needing new crank arms and spindle? I believe the cranks and spindle are stock from DK. Seems like the inner race just thread onto the spindle so I should be able to take them off.

I'm just hoping it's as simple as it seems. Thanks.

DirtBag

Monkey
Feb 1, 2006
If you have a one piece crank (pictured above) you can get a set of sealed bearings. I have seen them around before. But if you want to go to 3-piece cranks then you can get new cartridge bearings at the same time you upgrade.

I think the General Lee usesd an American bb like the one pictured...

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
No No No. It's a 3 piece tubular crank, but it has loose balls. <- hee hee, he said tubular crank and loose balls.

I was wondering if I could just order this (or similar)

Then knock out the old cups, and press in the new and have it work with the spindle I already have. I'm guessing yes.

opjones

Monkey
Aug 17, 2006
Detroit
You just need to make sure you order the correct bearing size. There are 3 different sizes (I believe) mid, spanish and american. measure the O.D. of your current bearings to ensure you're order the correct size. Also if you email Dan's Comp I'm sure they have the knowledge of your specific bike and could probably help you out a little better.

cully

Chimp
Jun 1, 2007
No No No. It's a 3 piece tubular crank, but it has loose balls. <- hee hee, he said tubular crank and loose balls.

I was wondering if I could just order this (or similar)

Then knock out the old cups, and press in the new and have it work with the spindle I already have. I'm guessing yes.
yes...

the general lee has an american bb so that'll work, the only thing you have to check is the spindle diameter. I believe that it is a19mm spindle on the stock 3 piece but I'm not sure. you would usually have two choices 22mm or 19mm.

urbaindk

The Real Dr. Science
Jul 12, 2004
Sleepy Hollar
I think I may have run into a stumbling block.

My spindle looks kind of like this:

I'm thinking that's going to complicate matters.

whale

Monkey
Apr 23, 2004
Silver Spring, MD
hey dave,

i have a set of 3-piece eastern cranks with a standard american bb that might work for you. i pulled them off my old trailorpark and want to sell them... cheap.

here are pictures of what i've got. i'm not sure if they will work for you or not, but i can certainly meet up with you (this weekend?) if you want to try them out:

incidentally, i'm looking to sell my transition trailorpark frame if you know anyone that is looking. i replaced it with a union street molly:

-will